Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2005, 06:22 AM
Tom fKB

The dollar bill trick... or back to the drawing board... or an argument for tubulars.

Last night I hit something in the rain and chopped a nice big hole in the sidewall of a nearly new rear tire. Bang! Good thing I was going down the hill somewhat conservatively because it was pouring and was able to stop with only a minor bit of veering about.

The tire's toast, with a cut clear through about 3/8 of an inch long. So I say "Ta-da!" and pull out the pretty new five dollar bill and after I put the tube in I take out the section where the cut is, wrap the tube loosely and put it back in. I pump up the tire somewhat soft thinking too much pressure'll overwhelm the currency and start heading slowly for home.

I get home, and am slightly bemused to see dollar bill-less tube sticking out of the cut like a hernia. That baby was ready to go again any time.

I haven't opened things up this morning to see where my money went but what the heck did I do wrong? Too wet for the trick to work with paper?

Definitely an argument for tubulars. I don't carry a spare clincher tire with me but I'd have had a tire along if they were tubies!

How come all my flats have been when it was pouring this year?

It's later than you think.
Old 09-17-2005, 06:32 AM
biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Definitely an argument for tubulars.
No. The dollar bill trick is bad.

P.S. Clinchers suck.
Old 09-17-2005, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Last night I hit something in the rain and chopped a nice big hole in the sidewall of a nearly new rear tire. Bang! Good thing I was going down the hill somewhat conservatively because it was pouring and was able to stop with only a minor bit of veering about.

The tire's toast, with a cut clear through about 3/8 of an inch long. So I say "Ta-da!" and pull out the pretty new five dollar bill and after I put the tube in I take out the section where the cut is, wrap the tube loosely and put it back in. I pump up the tire somewhat soft thinking too much pressure'll overwhelm the currency and start heading slowly for home.

I get home, and am slightly bemused to see dollar bill-less tube sticking out of the cut like a hernia. That baby was ready to go again any time.

I haven't opened things up this morning to see where my money went but what the heck did I do wrong? Too wet for the trick to work with paper?

Definitely an argument for tubulars. I don't carry a spare clincher tire with me but I'd have had a tire along if they were tubies!

How come all my flats have been when it was pouring this year?
I took the dollar bill. I'll return it if you can tell me the serial number.

I've had this happen too, but probably twice in about 9 years of riding a lot. Given that low frequency, I don't think it's enough of a case for tubulars. Once I was able to boot it, once I wasn't, so I called home and got a ride. One ride home in 9 years is something I can live with. And another from a broken pump and one because of a bum knee, but those are other issues.

-Ray
Old 09-17-2005, 06:51 AM

I've tried it twice this year--both times failed. One time it MAY have slowed the leak a bit, but I don't think so. Both times I ended up hitching a ride back with people I didn't know (that sort of thing always seems to happen when a.) I don't have a cell phone b.) anyone I know to call is gone and can't give me a ride). Maybe tubies would be nice--but aren't they more expensive to get into (I've never really looked into it...)
Old 09-17-2005, 07:21 AM
powered by red

Tom:

I usually carry a tire boot made from a 1 inch piece of an old tire.

You do not want to wrap the tube with bill, but rather fold the bill so that it is larger than the cut and has 3 or 4 layers of paper. The folded bill then goes between the tube and the tire. The pressure from the inflated tube will keep the bill in place.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:46 AM
Argos

"GU" packs work well for me for cuts. There beefy. Also Enervit Cheerpacks if you cut off the valve.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:59 AM
Feel the Force

Take a $20 with you instead of the $1 and call a cab

Jason
Old 09-17-2005, 11:36 AM

I have used a $20 and it worked great folded to give 3 layers of bill over the cut. Maybe you shouldn't try to get by so cheaply by using a single?

I also used some foil from a ciggie pack that I found roadside.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:48 AM
Winded

FedEx

I have used folded fedex mailing material with good luck (well only once really). I happen to receive alot of paperwork via Fed Ex so I have it coming out my ears. It is nice because you can cut pieces out any size and fold them up and stuff em anywhere and they don't take up any space.
Just a thought.
Ted.
Old 09-17-2005, 12:51 PM

bro riding at night and in the rain be glad it was only your tire that got cut.Bill Shook from American Classic uses a piece of rim strip he the wisest guy I ride with. Cheers
Old 09-17-2005, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbushnel
I have used folded fedex mailing material with good luck (well only once really). I happen to receive alot of paperwork via Fed Ex so I have it coming out my ears. It is nice because you can cut pieces out any size and fold them up and stuff em anywhere and they don't take up any space.
Just a thought.
Ted.
Tyvek is some tough chit!
Old 09-19-2005, 10:47 AM

the length of a sidewall slit that you can take care of with a boot is limited, however. I've had a 4 inch slit. That sucked.

This is an area where tubulars are better than clinchers, inasmuch as the spare is a spare everthing.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:06 AM

Park Tool makes an adhesive backed boot. It's about the size of a credit card but flexible. My LBS gave me a couple when my Contis were showing threads on the sidewalls. I have used them once on my rain bike and they worked.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:20 PM
Tom fKB

Kevlar tape

My brother says he managed to cadge some of this stuff out of the maintenance people at work, cut it into a few pieces and stuck it on backing you can peel it off of. He gave it to his kids to stick in their back pocket when out riding. He says it will fix anything. His son booted a tire with it and later on forgot he kept it for the trainer and put the tire back on a wheel. He rode it for a couple of weeks before he remembered and had no problems.

Tyvek is good too.

Wet dollar bills don't work.

It's later than you think.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:46 PM
CalfeeFly

Wears Through

A dollar bill wears through eventually. Tyvek is excellent to. I now will be carrying the Park but I can't ride yet. I bought them about 2 months ago. I'll probably still look for a Fed X or similar drop box for tyvek to supplement it.