Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-17-2012, 09:01 AM

Can I use 650 tri wheels on my MTB?

This is likely a dumb question, but I am going to buy my buddy's late 80s steel Fisher as a city bike. I am pretty sure the axle length is 130mm, so this woulnt be a problem.

The parts are all trashed so I need new stuff and have seen some nice older 'triathlon' dia wheels for sale very cheaply (Dura ace on Matrix rims) .

Can I use these? Can I mount fattish slick MTB tires on them and adjust the V's or Cantis to match the braking surface?

Thanks for any advice!

Darren
Old 06-17-2012, 10:14 AM

26" MTB tires won't fit the 650c rims. Terry does sell a 28mm 650c tire that would work (not sure that counts as "fattish") and is the widest decent quality 650c tire I have seen for sale. I believe that Kenda does sell a 571mm bead seat diameter 1 3/4" tire for use on old cruiser type wheels, but not sure how that tire would fit on narrow 650c rims typically designed for a 23mm tire.

Depending on which brakes are on the bike, 650c rims may work in the frame. The limiting factor will be the adjustability of the brake pads.

There are enough 26" wheels out there that you shouldn't consider using 650c wheels on that frame.

Last edited by John M; 06-17-2012 at 10:19 AM.