Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-13-2012, 09:52 PM

Thoughts on spine era Lemond Victoire?

After a couple failed attempts at picking up a Fierte Ti, I am looking at a 53cm Victoire on CL; won't have the chance to ride it before I have a relative drive out with a check.

Fellow listers, what are your impressions?
Old 06-14-2012, 02:32 AM

I have the 2005 catalog if you need any frame dimensions.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:46 AM

I've only heard good things about the "spine" bikes. Remember, the TT runs long on all of the Lemond bikes.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAG View Post
After a couple failed attempts at picking up a Fierte Ti, I am looking at a 53cm Victoire on CL; won't have the chance to ride it before I have a relative drive out with a check.

Fellow listers, what are your impressions?
Great riding bike that's my main ride for long double centuries. I like it so much that I have 1 spare frame in size 51cm(sorry not your size) hanging around(backup frame) and a 50cm Fierte IT(ebay special getting rebuilt soon). Thought I saw a Victoire on CL in Gilroy for $700 is that the one? The sizing can be slightly confusing on the Lemonds, the first ones built had shorter headtubes and the last ones built had longer ones. Good Luck on your purchase!
Old 06-14-2012, 11:54 AM

I hope you are able to find a Fierte. I love my Fierte although not a Ti the steel rides amazing. I searched for a long time for geometry like my 54S and was about to give up and start saving for a custom steel frame when I found mine. Good Luck.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemondvictoire View Post
Great riding bike that's my main ride for long double centuries. I like it so much that I have 1 spare frame in size 51cm(sorry not your size) hanging around(backup frame) and a 50cm Fierte IT(ebay special getting rebuilt soon). Thought I saw a Victoire on CL in Gilroy for $700 is that the one? The sizing can be slightly confusing on the Lemonds, the first ones built had shorter headtubes and the last ones built had longer ones. Good Luck on your purchase!
Well, I'm 5'6" with short legs, and riding a 51cm '05 Sarthe now. I'm looking at these for a longer headtube and sloping TT as well as the ride- any chance your spare frame would fit?

And it's too bad that the later frames are taller; I liked the silver paint better ta the blue.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Well, I'm 5'6" with short legs, and riding a 51cm '05 Sarthe now. I'm looking at these for a longer headtube and sloping TT as well as the ride- any chance your spare frame would fit?

And it's too bad that the later frames are taller; I liked the silver paint better ta the blue.
Should fit if you have 1" clearance over the toptube. The standover on my older 51cm is 29.5" from the middle of the top tube to floor and newer (blue one has blue fork and blue decals) is the same. My older one has black fork & white decals. Sorry none of the bikes are for sale at this time unless the Fierte IT can become the 'go to bike' for my doubles!!!!! Got lots of double centuries to do........like at least 3 more years worth of them to finish to do 50.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:33 PM

I think I saw that Fierte IT- just a little too small for me.

I saw the ad for the one in Gilroy; I'm hoping to get a picture. There's another one out there, later bike from the blue decals. And now I have a Fierte owner replying to my emails.

Argh. Too many options at present. Frame? Bike? Lemond? Serotta?

and what do I do with the groupset when I convert it over to campy?
Old 06-14-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
I think I saw that IT- just a little too small for me.

I saw the ad for the one in Gilroy; I'm hoping to get a picture. There's another one out there, later bike from the blue decals. And now I have a Fierte owner replying to my emails.

Argh. Too many options at present. Frame? Bike? Lemond? Serotta?

and what do I do with the groupset when I convert it over to campy?
The size of the Lemond in Gilroy listed as 54cm is incorrect, as they were only made in these sizes: 49cm, 51cm, 53cm, 55cm, 57cm, 59cm, 61cm . I would approach with caution as seller should know the size they are selling and probably not original owner or ?????????????
Old 06-15-2012, 10:48 AM

Yeah. I already pinged them asking for pics and a HT measurement. Because a 55 would be of no use to me whatsoever.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:56 AM

I think you're right.

Although I'm tempted. And now there's a 53 Tete on Ebay for... reasonable.

Actually, what I really want to find is a 53 WSD 2006 Tete/2004 Victoire (black paint) frame, but that would be asking for hen's teeth.