Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Marketplace > Classifieds (Cycling Products)

Old 04-24-2012, 01:38 AM

NOS Moser Leader AX

SOLD

NOS, never built, 57cm Moser Leader AX.

Oria KK tubing. Silver fillet brazed.

Chrome is beautiful. Near-perfect paint with 5 tiny chips that I can find. 2 pinpoint chips on drive-side seatstay just below seat tube, 1 chip on non-drive chainstay just behind bb, 1 chip under down tube, and slight rubbing at lip of bb (all pictured below). None of those are through to the metal, and there is absolutely no rust, dings, etc. The frame is new, and looks it.

Internal routing on top tube. Campy dropouts.

ST: 57cc, 64ct
TT: 57
HT: 157

SOLD $300 $250 + actual shipping and any fees. OBO.

As always, can deliver for free in the Willamette Valley, and provide more photos on request.

Last edited by ORMojo; 07-06-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:16 AM

Old 04-24-2012, 04:08 AM

You should disclose that the Leader AX uses a proprietary seatpost design. Those seatposts are very hard to find. Are you offering one with the frameset you're selling? If not, you should say so in plain text, or risk having a very disgruntled buyer.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:32 AM

Awesome frame. But Tsarpepe is correct. I spent a year trying to find a post under $300, almost impossible.

Good luck!
Old 04-24-2012, 07:26 AM
Epic=No Smiles

I assume the required seatpost is a expander type, like a quill stem. That said, it doesn't look like it would be difficult to drill and slot the seat tube (extension) to allow the use of an external clamp. It would reduce the collectibility of the frame, for sure, but if one wasn't serious about that, I bet it would work.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:23 AM
Slower than u r

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
I assume the required seatpost is a expander type, like a quill stem. That said, it doesn't look like it would be difficult to drill and slot the seat tube (extension) to allow the use of an external clamp. It would reduce the collectibility of the frame, for sure, but if one wasn't serious about that, I bet it would work.
Exactly what I was thinking. And if this were a 55, I'd be snagging it, seatpost or no.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:32 AM

Fork?
Old 04-24-2012, 09:03 AM

Well many people are using those ones with a clamp, since is steel is not a problem to put a super nice clamp and ready to go. As for fork... maybe a carbon 1 inch?

Good luck with the sale, that's one of the most elusive frames i have seen.. looking for one since a long time, bad luck im broke and good luck the frame is too big hehe
Old 04-24-2012, 09:14 AM

Clamp

Ultraman and ORmojo,

A clamp would work on this frame w/o slotting it?

l am interested but would not be willing to search for proprietary post and am also not interested in slotting a NOS frame like this

Beautiful frame
Old 04-24-2012, 09:22 AM

damnit!! not my size
Old 04-24-2012, 12:40 PM

I can help w/ a post ..

No a clamp will not work w/o slotting the frame, and agree with others who have said doing that would be a shame. And the frame just looks cool and clean built up w/o a clamp - here's mine -

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showth...ighlight=moser

When I got my leader AX f/f/hs from dvlancleve, he had an original AC post that I used, plus he graciously threw in a campy record post he converted. It is pretty easy to make .. I ended up using that 27.2 post, and talk about ironic, it is on the KHS ZHB that I just bought from ORMojo because it was silver ...

But I have the guts of that post that consists of a long bolt (10"+) and the threaded wedge that goes on the bottom. All you have to do is diagonally cut a standard 27.2 post at the same angle as the wedge, then drill a hole in the top of the post, slide the bolt through, and wala - you have a wedge post. I'll give the buyer of this frame the bolt and wedge guts so they can make a post ...... Not sure where the fork is for this frame - shoulda been a nice chrome one .. Mine was obviously repainted, but I'm sure happy with it. These frames ride really really nice ..

Cheers
Old 04-24-2012, 12:55 PM

Well you have to make at least a 1.5 cm long by 2 mm wide cut or the clamp won't work, the clamp compress the seat tube and is the seat tube the one that holds the seatpost. Saddly if you go that way you might have to make the cut and relief drill at the bottom as any steel frame (have one w/o the relief hole and in 25 years nothing at all)

As for the seatpost, the original seatpost is a campagnolo one made for this bike, really expensive and hard to find, if not imposible. There is a japanese seatpost that was in a cannondale that could work, cant remember the model but sure somebody will remember. That came with the wedge and stuff just like the campy one.

Second option is to built one, is not that hard the issue is that u need a friend with a machine shop and standing press drill machines. Some seatposts are open under the clamp also, you need to come up with a cap then a stem long screw and the wedge at the end or something.

This is what u need just in case...

http://landlordscycling.com/2012/01/...uill-seatpost/

And this is the original seatpost...

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/cro...quillseatpost/

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugkev View Post
Ultraman and ORmojo,

A clamp would work on this frame w/o slotting it?

l am interested but would not be willing to search for proprietary post and am also not interested in slotting a NOS frame like this

Beautiful frame
Old 04-24-2012, 12:59 PM

Just read smead post... awesome!!!
Old 04-24-2012, 01:08 PM

Seatpost

Thanks for the helpful input . . .

I probably should have made this clear in the original post -- of course it requires a quill seatpost. No secret there, but my text should have stated that, and a photo clearly showing the non-slotted seat post would have also been a good idea.

Many people have slotted the seat tube and used a regular seatpost and clamp. It does use a standard-sized 27.2 post, after all. I have seen this done very well, but I don't think I could bring myself to do it, and I really like the clean look with the internal post.

And, as the helpful input above describes, many have modified a 27.2 post into a quill/expanding post. I really appreciate the offer above to send the internals needed to do this.

The quill seatposts aren't common, but I've never found them difficult to find if you just search a bit. I currently have 3 frames that use them (including this one, Schwinn Ontare, Schwinn 974) and have the seatposts I need, so sorry, no, I'm not selling one with this frame.

There is a brand new American Classic 27.2 quill seatpost on ebay right now for only $129 buy-it-now shipped. http://www.ebay.com/itm/American-Cla...item3cc494ddf9 I've seen these American Classic quill posts go as low as $80 shipped for a used one.

There is also a used 27.2 quill seatpost off of a 974 sitting at $40 with no bids. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schwinn-Self...item2c64ba4e98 (Note the "small crack")

Both of these will work on the Moser, and are just today's examples showing that they really aren't that hard to find or expensive.

In addition to American Classic, 27.2 quill seatposts come/came from Timec, Suntour ("Expander"), Atax, Selcof, Campy, and others.

Sorry, I never had the original fork for this.

Last edited by ORMojo; 04-25-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:46 PM

There is an American Classic quill post over on Bikeforums.net for $75 in the FS section of Classsic and Vintage. Or, to make it easier just click link below and scroll down a bit:

American Classic Quill Post

FWIW, have no affiliation whatsoever with the seller. Also, the rest of the bits he has for sale wouldn't look bad hanging off of this Moser either.