Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-20-2012, 04:43 PM

Zipp 303 Firecrest tubular or Enve 25 tubular?

I am looking for an everyday wheel that will be light, fast, and not be prone to cracking if I hit a bump in the road. Anyone try both?
Old 03-20-2012, 04:47 PM
Campy Nut

I have the 303 firecrest tubulars..nothing negative to say along with a comfortable ride. Great warranty, customer service and dependable product.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:52 PM

FNB, I meant to say to you that if you want to buy a set of used 101s, just let me know. They're very low mileage, and I have both the Shimano and Campy freehub. That said, I still think handbuilts are the way to go.

As for the OP, the new 303s are really pretty spectacular. I have no experience with the Enves, but I'm sure they're great, too. And neither will be anything like delicate, I wouldn't think.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:43 PM
Administrator

i think you should define what you mean by everyday wheel.

what type of riding are you doing, how much do you weigh, what kind of roads, etc?
Old 03-20-2012, 05:45 PM
Campy Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist
i think you should define what you mean by everyday wheel.

what type of riding are you doing, how much do you weigh, what kind of roads, etc?
Good questions..my 303's aren't an everyday type of wheel because i like having the weight difference and feel compared to my training wheel sets.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:51 PM

Thanks. I am 6'2", 168 lbs. Steel frame. I ride in the Northeast; group rides (paceline), solo training. No climbs are more than 1-2 miles. In season, probably about 150 miles/week. More of a spinner than sprinter. I am not looking for race day only wheels, and would pick a wheel less likely to get
damaged by rough roads.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:54 PM

ZIPP 303s. No question. I ride my 404s on the worst roads in the US and they feel bombproof.

I think I just jinxed myself.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:03 PM

The wheel less likely to get damaged is definitely the Enve set, but unless you're going up mountains with Andy Schleck, I don't think you need a set of wheels that shallow.

The Zipp 303 is a deeper wheel, and thus more applicable to "all around" riding.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:04 PM
Bike Geek

you must have some really deep pockets to consider Zipps or Enve's "everyday wheels"
Old 03-20-2012, 06:21 PM
Campy Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by uber
Thanks. I am 6'2", 168 lbs. Steel frame. I ride in the Northeast; group rides (paceline), solo training. No climbs are more than 1-2 miles. In season, probably about 150 miles/week. More of a spinner than sprinter. I am not looking for race day only wheels, and would pick a wheel less likely to get
damaged by rough roads.
I have done some fast paced training rides with the 303's and they are pretty bombproof, especially for the northwest. I love them..and I have also had the Enve 45's..both great brands but I would have to pick the Zipps over them. They seem more sturdy and reliable, but that's my opinion.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:10 PM

I agree with FNB. I've been really impressed with Zipp's latest offerings. But I've had Enve's in the past too and they were impressive. However, I think the firecrest design is intriguing and would go that direction.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:14 PM
Cat 666

Why not compare against the enve 3.4? The zipp 303s were made to be toughest of all the carbon rims they made, the Spring classics wheel of choice for zipp teams.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:03 AM

I recently purchased 303 Firecrests and have the 1.25's as well, and the 1.25's are currently not being used. It's not because they aren't great wheels and can't be ridden every day, it's just that I find the combination of light + semi-aero to be more useful than super-light + low-profile for most of the riding I do. For extended climbs or really, really windy days they may be better.

Regarding the 3.4's vs. the 303's, I tested both on gusty days, and ended up getting the Firecrests, but I'd say it's a close call. They are both better than their predecessors (i.e., 1.45's and standard 303's) in handling gusts, and are more comfortable, too. Both are very strong—Enve's have always been super strong, and it seems that the latest Zipp designs have overcome fragility issues (I have owned Zipp wheels in the past and haven't had any problems, but the internet is littered with complaints about durability regarding previous wheels). Braking is also excellent, so either makes a great all-around wheel.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRietz
The wheel less likely to get damaged is definitely the Enve set, but unless you're going up mountains with Andy Schleck, I don't think you need a set of wheels that shallow.

The Zipp 303 is a deeper wheel, and thus more applicable to "all around" riding.
How is the Enve less likely to get damaged?
Old 03-21-2012, 08:01 AM
Mr Dobalina

Charles's (Pez) take (303 FC)

http://pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=9255

Remember reading this last year....very thorough.