Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-01-2012, 09:42 AM

Anybody filming their rides?

This guy does and looks like he will have the upper hand in court against a reckless driver. There is a 3ft passing law where I live but in order to enforce it local cops say they (1) either have to witness the infraction or (2) see it on camera. 3rd party witnesses dont count unless there is actual physical contact between car and rider.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2011/05/0...ra-by-cyclist/
Old 03-01-2012, 10:18 AM

There's a handful of folks from TN who lived it with me and they might be making a documentary. Soundtrack by Mark Knopfler and Emmy Lou Harris/JAWS soundtrack.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:30 AM
Retired!

I don't know...it's a little difficult to tell how close they got but what seems apparent to me is that she did move all the way over to the left side of her lane. Yeah, the shout out the window was an unnecessary act of aggression but I didn't see anything outrageous by the driver.

I find drivers in Minnesota to be incredibly courteous to cyclists. Out of the hundreds of thousands who pass me each year I could probably count on one hand the number who were obviously trying to send me a message to get off the road.

Do I film my rides ever? Yep!

http://youtu.be/Fj4PB9pPiKk

Kevin g
Old 03-01-2012, 11:00 AM
Classics Fan

The solution that I think would be most effective in keeping drivers at a safe distance (assuming they can't do that on their own) is a hinged piece of carbon fiber attached to the left chainstay and left seat stay, that extends 3 feet to the left of the bike, with LEDs blinking and flashing.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:03 AM

onekkguy, you are lucky.. The prevailing attitude among many motorists here is that all cyclists should be on the sidewalk so they regularly pass very close, many of them yelling obscenities out the window, throwing things and swerving/slamming on their brakes in front of riders to get them off the road. It seems cyclist are obstacles here. Mentioning the 3ft law to most drivers here results in an argument where cyclists have no rights and we are lucky that we didnt get hit, nevermind that they drove within the safe passing area, werent paying attention or even initiated the incident/argument in the first place. When there is an actual collision or altercation with a car, I have yet to see or hear of a police officer that would enforce the 3ft law or even take the side of the cyclist. We have a very active cycling community here and I hear similar stories from other riders almost daily. It is a huge problem with cyclists mostly ending up on the losing end. After seeing this video it makes me seriously consider using a camera to record my rides as I know what usually happens when the police consider our word against a motorist's.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:14 AM

Long hair on young women - lovely.
Long hair on old women - creepy.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:30 PM

“I know I’m going to request a jury trial because I never intended putting any fear in this man”

“Just messing around, having fun"

Yep, common attitude. Just trying to scare the sh*t out of somebody. Harmless fun.

Hope they get jail time...
Old 03-01-2012, 12:59 PM
Retired!

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ
onekkguy, you are lucky.. The prevailing attitude among many motorists here is that all cyclists should be on the sidewalk so they regularly pass very close, many of them yelling obscenities out the window, throwing things and swerving/slamming on their brakes in front of riders to get them off the road. It seems cyclist are obstacles here.

Champ...where do you live?

Kevin g
Old 03-01-2012, 01:02 PM

CT, near NYC.