Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-28-2012, 07:28 AM
Administrator

5700 pedals - bearings shot

dipped my foot in the water for spd-sl pedals with a set of 5700s. loved them so much i now have a few sets of 6700 and one set of 7900.

after exactly 567 miles on my fixed gear, the bearings are trashed in one pedal. please tell me this is not common, or at least that the bearings in the upper end pedals are better...
Old 02-28-2012, 07:35 AM

I sure hope it's not common as I'm getting ready to put a set of 5700's on my commuter. I was going to spring for better pedals but thought "what the heck, it's just a commuter" and thought I'd save some money. Not a savings if they don't last.

Sucks for you but I hope it's an anomaly.

Edited to add: I've got tens of thousands of miles on Ultegra and Dura Ace pedals with no problems at all.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:43 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone
I sure hope it's not common as I'm getting ready to put a set of 5700's on my commuter. I was going to spring for better pedals but thought "what the heck, it's just a commuter" and thought I'd save some money. Not a savings if they don't last.

Sucks for you but I hope it's an anomaly.

Edited to add: I've got tens of thousands of miles on Ultegra and Dura Ace pedals with no problems at all.
i do think its an anomaly, because the other pedal is just fine. one side just started developing some play in the bearings early in a ride. by the time i got home, they had just about killed themselves. i think they must have had a bad race from the factory, and that's what killed them.

just ordered a new set of ultegras for the fixed gear, hoping for the best.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:48 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist
dipped my foot in the water for spd-sl pedals with a set of 5700s. loved them so much i now have a few sets of 6700 and one set of 7900.

after exactly 567 miles on my fixed gear, the bearings are trashed in one pedal. please tell me this is not common, or at least that the bearings in the upper end pedals are better...
Warranty..unless you went swimming in them, they should have lasted more than 567 miles.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:36 AM

Did that pedal ever take a hit? Crash/big fall/etc? That could throw a bearing enough out-of-whack to wear it out in a hurry.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:39 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinci
Did that pedal ever take a hit? Crash/big fall/etc? That could throw a bearing enough out-of-whack to wear it out in a hurry.
nothing abnormal that i can remember.