Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2012, 06:04 PM

CL scam

A forum member informed me that one of my bikes is for sale in another state, advertised on craigslist. The image was stolen from one of the image hosting sites. I sent CL an email informing them of the scam, but the ad remains posted over a week later. I also tried to post another ad on CL with a message that the for sale post is a scam, but for some reason my ad has never gone live on the site, although it has a reference number. I am wondering if CL is filtering out posts that begin with "RE" from the for sale section.

Is there anything else that I should try? It's not really hurting me, but someone could fall for it and send the scammer some money.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:53 PM

I've had similar circumstances twice: Once a fellow in my town was trying to sell a bike similar to mine and used my pic. Another time, a fellow who bought one of my bikes was trying to resell it using the pic from my posting (I never send pix to individuals).

As I've been a photographer in various lifetimes, I strongly protect my copyrights. I sent the first fellow a warning email and cc'd CL; the fellow took down the pic immediately (think it was a young kid who thought any pic on the web is fair game). Sent the second fellow a kinder email saying sorry you're selling, but please don't use my pic. He took it down as well.

I don't know how aggressive CL is policing this, but that's where I'd start, along with warning emails to the individuals involved. As far as the RE: posts, I suppose you have nothing to lose if you try, and sometimes if you're really humorous they get lots of attention if they don't get flagged first.

One way to minimize future risk is to watermark your images. It's a hassle, though, and doesn't guarantee they won't be used.

Don
Old 02-24-2012, 07:05 PM

I don't really care about the image. It's more about the fact that the poster is obviously a scammer, because he doesn't have the bike: I do.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:39 PM

Yes they do filter them, in a matter of fact when u do a re or the description is too long or took too long to type it, the system ask you for a phone key verification code...

What you can do is to offer the same bike in the tittle for really low price and then in the details let people know is a scam.

Always you can send an email to the seller requesting to see the bike because u like it, then tell the cops.

The other option is that the guy has the same bike but dont have a camera or something.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:41 PM

For all we know, the poster may be overseas. In that case, if CL doesn't help you and your RE: posts get flagged, I don't know how you can resolve this.

Don
Old 02-24-2012, 07:43 PM
Embracing my

Send us a link to the sale ad and we can flag it for you (there are plenty enough people on this board that would do the deed).
Old 02-24-2012, 11:52 PM
Never-nude

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckroast
Send us a link to the sale ad and we can flag it for you (there are plenty enough people on this board that would do the deed).
+1
Old 02-25-2012, 12:18 AM

good idea, thanks

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/bik/2841940303.html

Preemptive disclaimer: bike now has level stem
Old 02-25-2012, 12:45 AM
You still here?

I posted a SCAM ad for that bike in the same craigslist. Should appear soon: http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/bik/2869723925.html
Old 02-25-2012, 01:12 AM

thanks Dave. Starting my post with "Re" must have gotten it filtered out.

The thing that's annoying is that he will just do the same thing with someone else's photo.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:07 AM
Administrator

The original ad is gone now...good job guys.