Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-05-2012, 08:11 AM

Winter riding shoes/boots

Looking for some winter cycling shoes (road). Feet are freezing lately!

Need something that is fairly wide (I use either Sidi Mega or Specialized). Any recommendations?
Old 01-05-2012, 08:18 AM
Administrator

what temperature range are we talking about?

right now i'm just using a pair of mostly leather (little ventilation) road shoes with heavy neoprene covers. they are keeping my feet surprisingly warm into the low 30's for 4 hour rides. this is a first for me, apparently these are the best shoe covers i've used.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:22 AM

Monday for example was 22* with a cruel north wind. After about an hour and a half my feet were very uncomfortable.

I am using Specialized S-Works shoes (love 'em!) with Gore covers. They are fine down to the mid 30 range...after that, not so much. Really want to be able to get some longer rides in as well while the roads are clear.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:24 AM
Administrator

in that case, my experience is useless. i wont ride much below the freezing point of water...

i have, however heard very good things about Lake winter shoes/boots...
Old 01-05-2012, 08:30 AM

I use the Lake MXZ302 winter boots/shoes, which are mtb though, with only one pair of thin wool socks. They are good for anything below freezing and available in wide sizes, which are larger than Sidi Mega.

Northwave makes a winter road shoe, but I don't know how well it performs. You could buy one of them and get a half to one size larger to accommodate thicker/more socks, and then add a bootie.

Or you can try to add those hand warmer packs to your socks. I used those handwarmers alot when I play golf in the winter.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:48 AM

Lakes are exceptional cold weather shoes but hard to find this year because their distributor went under. Northwave Celsius and Celsius Arctic shoes get good reviews and are worth checking out.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:57 AM
Rider

I've used the Specy Defrosters (road) down in to the upper 30's and they were fairly effective. My feet are always could when riding so results may vary and they could be warmer to others. The 300 series Lakes are really big and heavy. I have a pair for MTB and I feel like I'm wearing Frankenstein's boots! What size are you?
Old 01-05-2012, 09:08 AM

If you get the right neoprene covers you should be fine with those down into the teens over your normal summer shoes..

If your feet are still getting cold at that point you probably need to do more to keep your core warm. Other things to look for being shoes too small, wrong socks, etc.. your feet need room to breathe to stay warm.

Even MTBing in the snow and getting my feet wet I have never needed a special pair of shoes.

Now getting the right covers is a PITA.. most of them are just "aero" covers. You need real ones.. 1/4" thick that go up your shin like a boot.

My current road shoes have a vent on the bottom.. that would need to be covered up too in real cold weather... but I think my full on winter covers do block that up.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:09 AM

try to find the lakes... they are out there.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:47 AM

I have the Lake. They are ultra hot and only usable below freezing.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:19 AM
'97 Ti Legend

+1 on the Lake MXZ 302

It is the MTB version, but, if you ever need to walk through a snowy or icy bit, you'll be happy for the tread. They make a road version, but it may be hard to find. I usually ride my CX bike with road wheels in the winter, which already has Eggbeaters on it, but if I wanted to take out my road bike, I'd switch pedals. I can only imagine a Speedplay road pedal packed up with snow.

They seem to be in stock in wide sizes here.

Lake MXZ 302 at Modern Bike

Lickbike Has a few of the road version (CXZ302)on sale too. So did nashbar.

Last edited by DRZRM; 01-05-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:22 AM

Yep, I have the road version of these. If you decide to get them be prepared for the "tank", they are bulky and heavy but ultra warm. Last year I wore them twice.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:41 AM

Thanks Guys! Seems like the Lake's have a good following. I also searched on Ebay and there seems to be a couple of different options out there.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:45 AM

I have both the lakes and these covers: http://www.pearlizumi.com/publish/co...-14381105.html

The pearl covers have so far made my lake's unneccessary. While I love them, they're awfully heavy, so if it's a spirited ride I'm after, I'm much more likely to use the shoe cover combo. The pearl covers that i've posted have been good sub 30 degrees so far, really really well built.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:05 AM

Lake shoes seemed to have vanished off the market in the past year.

I have a pair of the new Mavic Drift boots and they are as warm as can be. I've had 'em down in the 20's so far with no problem. There is a road version too.