Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-03-2012, 11:06 AM

Need Clarification

Ottrott, Legend, Fierte IT, Concourse. I'm looking for a lifetime mixed frame in 49cm or 50cm. It will be used for fast club rides, metrics and centuries. Could someone explain the differences of the various models? It's a bit confusing. (by lifetime I mean it will probably be my last purchase, I'm 51). I currently ride a 26 year old NovaSpecial in 49cm.

Thanks in advance for your help
Old 01-03-2012, 11:50 AM
You still here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBedford123
Ottrott, Legend, Fierte IT, Concourse. I'm looking for a lifetime mixed frame in 49cm or 50cm. It will be used for fast club rides, metrics and centuries. Could someone explain the differences of the various models? It's a bit confusing. (by lifetime I mean it will probably be my last purchase, I'm 51). I currently ride a 26 year old NovaSpecial in 49cm.

Thanks in advance for your help
That's a lot of discussion. One thing that may help you is the catalog section here on this forum: http://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=18 Peruse the later catalogs, say from 2003 to current to get Serottas explanation and their interpretation of the various bikes you may be interested in.

BTW, your 'lifetime' statement is not true! I'm 70 and still haven't bought a 'lifetime' bike.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:00 PM

Welcome. Nova Special pics are always nice, post some in the Serottas gallery.

I assumed you're talking new. The main difference between the Ottrott SE and Legend SE is that the Ottrott has carbon top and down tubes and the Legend has a full Ti main triangle. Both can be had with either carbon seatstays or Ti. Both models feature the bearing attachment system of the carbon ST seat stay to allow for more vertical movement.

The Ottrott GS lacks the bearing stay attachment and is only available with a carbon (CS) stay. It is available as a Ready Custom (stock sizes) as well as full custom.

I don't think the Fierte or Concours is still made.

I think the only other mixed materials frame is the Cour d'Acier SE, which is Columbus steel with the CS carbon stay. Also available with steel stays.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:05 PM
What? Where?!

I once asked Ben the difference between his models. He said: "the Meivici is the best all carbon bike we know how to build, the Ottrott is the best mixed material bike we know how to build, and the Legend it the best Ti bike we know how to build."

I know it doesn't really help, but it's a cool quote.

I personally found the biggest ride difference are notable between the bikes with, and without, the ST seat stay (the Ottrott and Legend both have the option). I found the ST seat stay gave a lot of stability in the downhill twisties. I rode the Meivici, but it was an early prototype (and you weren't interested in the ride report anyway).

Once I decided I preferred the ST seat stay, I rode both the Ottrott and Legend versions. Somehow I felt the Ottrott to be BOTH more responsive and more plush. One of the rides I went on with the Ottrott was a 60 mi ride over the Marin hills to Stinson beach and back the day AFTER a 100 mile ride - and it was a fantastic ride. All in all I preferred the Ottrott. IMHO the Ottrott, although not the most expensive bike Serotta produces, is the best bike they produce. Again -IMHO- the Meivici is there for the "all carbon option."

I have owned a Legend Ti (no ST) for several years and have put more than 30k miles on it. My Ottrott ST is on order and should be built this month (!)

I hope this is helpful.

Please remember that these are all very subjective with variables depending on me, my fit on the test bikes, the design of the test bikes, etc. Others may have completely different opinions (and I would love to hear them).

-s

CORRECTION: in the old product line up, the ST seat stay was an option on the Ottrott and the legend. Now the Ottrott SE has the ST seat stay and the GS does not. The legend still has both options.

Last edited by Skrawny; 01-03-2012 at 10:13 PM. Reason: correction
Old 01-03-2012, 09:14 PM
Serotta Biased and HSG Luster

Pete's choices at 60 plus years

1- Ottrott,
2-Legend,
3- any you like based on riding a NOVA for that long.
4 HSG