Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-05-2005, 07:00 PM
Bike Fitter

OT , Back Spasams , it sucks

We went without power one day and I foolishly lifted the garage door improperly to open it. Yes a new 16 ft wide heavily insulted one too boot . Next day I did it to my back , this time it felt real bad , went to see the Chiroprachter and after 2 visits when I started to feel loss of hand strength I got really freaked out . I was sent to get a MRI to verify nothing really bad was going on . It turns out I have a pinched nerve on top of my back spasam . The back feels better but I still can't squeeze the tooth paste with my left hand . Be careful out there , it stinks getting old but I will be wiser from now on. No riding for the last 3 weeks ( its too hot anyway ) and I have been told no riding or physical excersizes for awhile . No worry as I can't lock up my front brake right now anyway . So I occupy my time watching reality TV
Old 08-05-2005, 07:06 PM
cinelli

Get well soon....

Smiley,

Be careful with the back. Ask the "sistah" about
back problems. Here is hoping you recover soon
and you regain your spelling abilities as well!
Old 08-05-2005, 08:24 PM

Hopefully you get your hot tub working soon!
Old 08-05-2005, 08:52 PM
Like I'm the only one...

Yo Smiley bud I feel for ya. You're getting old! I got hit with back spasms July 4th. Twenty miles into a 40 mile ride we stop at a store and while outside I drop a gatorade top. Reach down for it and baaaaaaaammm it feels like I've been sucker punched in the lower back. I tell a friend that he make think I'm a wuss, but "I think I've screwed up my back."

Take the easy way, 10 mile ride home with a couple friends who were worried, groaning all the way on every bump. Ride 35 minutes home in the car and can barely get out. Pop a Tylenol 3 and call the ER to see what I can do.

Four hours later I'm dying. Only fat and out of shape people have this kind of stuff happen. I mean I reached for a freakin bottle cap. I exercise, I do all types of core exercises exactly so this won't happen. Hell, I can do 20 pull-ups @ 205lbs and hold a bridge for a few minutes. But it did. It took 2 weeks for the pain and spasms to let up. It hurt so bad I went to the ER that day, convinced I'd ruptured or herniated a disk. Doc slips me some flexiril and that hot redhead nurse gives me a shot in the butt. I'll never forget her telling me to unbutton my pants. Never.

I haven't brought this up because when I logged onto the forum later that day and read that Dennis Cotcamp had died I decided I didn't have it that bad.

You'll be back on the bike in no time Sir Smiley. Just lay off the crap TV and try ta learn sumpin!

Last edited by pale scotsman; 08-05-2005 at 08:55 PM.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:22 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Smiley,

Shouldn't the springs (either linear if an old door, or rotary if a newer one) have reduced the force required to open the door to a point where it should have been pretty easy? Maybe you need to check if a) the springs are sized correctly for your door and b) if they are installed correctly.

Louis
Old 08-05-2005, 10:26 PM
Adam/SerottaFan

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...920180-3480907
Old 08-06-2005, 07:47 AM
Kevan's Rose

Smiley

I would advise you to check with an orthopedist relative to your inability to squeeze the toothpaste tube. I don't think that is a good sign. I will check again with my brother about it, although it is certainly not his field of expertise.

Sandy

Last edited by Sandy; 08-06-2005 at 08:01 AM.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:37 AM
Elizabeth and Jenny's Dad

Smiley,

Sorry to hear about your back. Make sure you listen to your doctors. Don't try to get back onto the bike until you are really ready.

Kevin

"Never use your face as a brake pad" - Jake Watson

"You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you are having a good day." - Daniel Behrman