Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-23-2011, 01:09 AM

Rim Choice?

So...Im building up another set of wheels for a little fall project for the Calfee.

I have been running the A23/Chorus road set off my Meech all-rounder and want to build something a it lighter.

This set will be 28H F+R...hubs will be the latest "Super Lights" from bikehubstore (in a fetching blue).

So...Rim choice:

A23s again
Aerohead (28H OC rear pain to find sometimes)
DT Swiss RR415
Kinlin XR200 (or XR200F/270R)

I can get good pricing on the first three which brings cost inline with the Kinlins FWIW...DT Swiss is about $15 more per rim, though.

Thoughts???

-Mark in St. Louis
Old 11-23-2011, 05:19 AM
'97 Ti Legend

HED Belgiums too expensive or too heavy? I thought I'd heard that some new 23 width wheels were in the pipelines.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:19 AM
Serotta Red

Location: Leawood, KS- It is in Kansas City, July west tisbury October tucson
DT's are Bomb proof

I have had them for 3.5 years, very dependable and true

you will be pleased with them
SN# HC-54-265
Old 11-23-2011, 06:40 AM
powered by red

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZRM
HED Belgiums too expensive or too heavy? I thought I'd heard that some new 23 width wheels were in the pipelines.
I believe they are Hed Belgiums with a carbon fairing.

In my humble opinion, I would go with the A23s. I have ridden all four rims and in my humble opinion, the A23s give the best ride.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:42 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by buldogge
So...Im building up another set of wheels for a little fall project for the Calfee.

I have been running the A23/Chorus road set off my Meech all-rounder and want to build something a it lighter.

This set will be 28H F+R...hubs will be the latest "Super Lights" from bikehubstore (in a fetching blue).

So...Rim choice:

A23s again
Aerohead (28H OC rear pain to find sometimes)
DT Swiss RR415
Kinlin XR200 (or XR200F/270R)

I can get good pricing on the first three which brings cost inline with the Kinlins FWIW...DT Swiss is about $15 more per rim, though.

Thoughts???

-Mark in St. Louis
DT415 would be my choice, Rev spokes front, laced 2 cross, DT Comps RH side rear, Revs LH rear, laced 3 cross, spokes inside pulling. Brass nipps.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:51 AM

Peter...Just as planned...except...3x on 28H???

-Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe
DT415 would be my choice, Rev spokes front, laced 2 cross, DT Comps RH side rear, Revs LH rear, laced 3 cross, spokes inside pulling. Brass nipps.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:53 AM

I didn't price them to be honest...but...my impression is that the HEDs are more expensive and the A23s function about the same...no?

-Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZRM
Old 11-23-2011, 07:55 AM

I have 2 sets of A23s for my Meech and they do ride nice...no doubt about it. In that case they are 32H 3x with Chorus hubs...I don't think I could go wrong...maybe something different this time though...???

-Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by znfdl
I believe they are Hed Belgiums with a carbon fairing.

In my humble opinion, I would go with the A23s. I have ridden all four rims and in my humble opinion, the A23s give the best ride.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:59 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by buldogge
Peter...Just as planned...except...3x on 28H???

-Mark
Yep, inside pulling spokes unless you are the 'buck 35 or so' weight range. 3x rear, 2 cross front.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:03 AM