Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-28-2024, 06:02 AM

Update 2 Fusions suck - 4 weeks out

Back spasms totally suck, problem getting out of chair sometimes. Need X-ray to ensure didn't f'up my fusion, they don't think so but to keep my comfortable.
Worse thing, NO biking for the foreseeable future. Previous surgery couldn't really keep my core strength up, now it's in the dumpster. So have to let this thing heal then do focused PT. My guess is they want me off the bike till June. May is my favorite month, tired of walking neighborhood.... My emotions getting best of me, mentally my bike gives me nice meditative escape.

Work on your core guys/gals

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sitting here after waking from miserable hospital bed. Successful L2/3 XLIF yesterday. Wanted to go home last eve, but doc was smart to suffer the night, as pain came back. Wakeup call at midnight and 3 of course. Otherwise the nurses, fellows and such have been great, (and gorgeous)

Lots of walking for next month or so, least it isn't spring yet.

Update: Almost 3 weeks post surgery. Walking 6 to 10K steps day, however was pretty sore after higher distance (total daily steps) PA was over the top seeing the consistency. She gave me clearance to ride, just be careful. 7 miles today (I did cheat and go for few over weekend just to prove I could still fit on bike...concerned a bit about my Firefly but give some time to learn new hip rotation) No reaching, bending, twisting etc for another few months. This is taking mental toll on me even if they are saying it is great (pain sucks)

Last edited by buddybikes; 03-26-2024 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-28-2024, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddybikes View Post
Sitting here after waking from miserable hospital bed. Successful L2/3 XLIF yesterday. Wanted to go home last eve, but doc was smart to suffer the night, as pain came back. Wakeup call at midnight and 3 of course. Otherwise the nurses, fellows and such have been great, (and gorgeous)

Lots of walking for next month or so, least it isn't spring yet.
Hang in there, Steve, those bikes will wait for you to recover. Hope the outcome is even better than you hope for.
Old 02-28-2024, 07:34 AM

Thought this was going to be about a bad experience with Hutchinson tires.

Long term goal will be worth it. Wishing you daily progress.
Old 02-28-2024, 07:38 AM

I had L2-L5 done on January 9.
First night was horrendous. Second night a bit better.
Sent home on the 11th instead of the rehab facility that was planned for (“not bad enough for rehab”). No home health care (“Medicare won’t pay for someone to visit and drink coffee”).
I walked 3 1/2 miles on the 17th when I had my post-op visit.
Released last Wednesday, I’ve got 100 miles in for the week.
So…don’t judge the future on just one night.
Hang in there.
Old 02-28-2024, 08:20 AM

Wearing out the floor with my walker, being released in few hours.

Asked about initial PT (in hospital), doc said waste of time based on my walking hallways eve of surgery.

Jeez there must be something better than damn opioids change one problem with another.
Old 02-28-2024, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plum Hill View Post
I had L2-L5 done on January 9.
First night was horrendous. Second night a bit better.
Sent home on the 11th instead of the rehab facility that was planned for (“not bad enough for rehab”). No home health care (“Medicare won’t pay for someone to visit and drink coffee”).
I walked 3 1/2 miles on the 17th when I had my post-op visit.
Released last Wednesday, I’ve got 100 miles in for the week.
So…don’t judge the future on just one night.
Hang in there.
Whew! L2-L5 is major surgery (triple fusion). It sounds like you are coming along fine. Take care of your back and stay safe when riding.
Old 02-28-2024, 11:14 AM

I had an L5/S1 fusion done 4 years ago.

It took me about 10 months to really feel good again but its been worth it - there will be hard times ahead and many steps backwards.
Old 02-28-2024, 12:18 PM
50 bpm

Take it slow. We cyclists tend to have quick recoveries but we're an impatient lot and want them to go even quicker. Like NHAero said, the bikes can wait.
Old 02-28-2024, 12:37 PM

Fusions do suck, but sometimes are the best, or only treatment option. I have/had degenerative scoliosis that I was not aware of when I developed a foot drop. Had chronic back pain for years. Now, after a 2 level neck fusion and 8 level T-10 to Illeum my back pain is gone. I still have a foot drop, but can ride without a brace, road, mtb and gravel. I use an afo brace outside the home.
Old 02-28-2024, 01:07 PM

Thumbs up Hang in there

My L4 burst from an auto accident a month before my 18th birthday. They replaced it with a chunk of cadaver femur and fused it to L3 and L5 with a bunch of titanium. Secondary surgery three weeks later to essentially try and better the first performed by a trauma team in over their head. Chronic pain from then on that has, at times, really negatively affected multiple aspects of my life, but I am always able to remember that I am fortunate to be alive some 25 years later, that I can walk, run, and ride a bike pain or no.

Best of luck to you. I hope you recover well and deem the surgery election to be the right choice.
Old 03-04-2024, 05:54 AM

Well I am 6 days post op. Sleeping bit better, hard to get comfortable. Overall people thing I am doing wonderfully. Walking about 6K steps day, watching my wife take off and tell me she was pacing behind some guy. Mentally dealing with some things, I also have diabetic neuropathy that can get pretty frustrating, plus I still work full time. My brain is not excited about being engaged all day/stressing at times (trade compliance manager for large computer company dealing with export controls of AI chips and such to controlled countries). Want to go part time but my boss would loose full time slot if I go PT and then quit. Probably 3 more weeks till I get out on the bike trail. I don't know how some of you do mileage you do. I am/was happy to do 1 hr a day at not aggressive pace. Dream is to get back in my boat, perhaps end of may - this is true peace.

IMG_0731 (1).jpeg
Old 03-04-2024, 06:53 AM

Early morning still water is great. Heal well, don't push it too hard.
Old 03-04-2024, 07:43 AM

6 days and you're working already? Man you gotta rest and heal, this is not a fun operation.
Old 03-04-2024, 04:41 PM

For me, a fusion operation (L5/S1) was a life changer. Yes, there was a 6 month recovery, but I went from having very sharp back pain nearly all the time, to virtually no back pain. It still amazes me, when I think back to before (which was 3 years ago), how much pain I lived with. But not all fusions are the same, I know....
Old 03-04-2024, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddybikes View Post
Well I am 6 days post op. Sleeping bit better, hard to get comfortable. Overall people thing I am doing wonderfully. Walking about 6K steps day, watching my wife take off and tell me she was pacing behind some guy. Mentally dealing with some things, I also have diabetic neuropathy that can get pretty frustrating, plus I still work full time. My brain is not excited about being engaged all day/stressing at times (trade compliance manager for large computer company dealing with export controls of AI chips and such to controlled countries). Want to go part time but my boss would loose full time slot if I go PT and then quit. Probably 3 more weeks till I get out on the bike trail. I don't know how some of you do mileage you do. I am/was happy to do 1 hr a day at not aggressive pace. Dream is to get back in my boat, perhaps end of may - this is true peace.

Attachment 1698079830
This is serious progress - congrats and don't feel down about it. I was pretty messed up for months after an L4/5 microdecompression. I assume they've got you on painkillers?