Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-11-2019, 01:39 PM

Inversion Table

I am shopping for one to help with a tired back especially after long rides.

Anyone else using an inversion table?
Old 02-11-2019, 01:55 PM

I just ordered this one after going down a giant rabbit hole of reviews etc...
I'll receive it on Wednesday and will let you know what my findings are.

https://www.amazon.com/Innova-Invers...s%2C208&sr=8-2
Old 02-11-2019, 02:03 PM

Have you tried one?

There are two types, with a HUGE price difference. The one where you hang from your feet is most common, and you should be able to find them on your local craigslist for pretty cheap. They retail at something like $300-400, if memory serves.

The other type you actually sit in, and when it rotates, you end up hanging from your hips. These will be rare as hen's teeth on the used market because they retail somewhere in the neighborhood of $2500.

But... I absolutely HATE the cheaper type, because it always feels like my knees are being pulled apart long before I get any benefit on my back. The hip-hanging type immediately gets my back relaxed and decomressed.

YMMV, of course, but I'd suggest trying first.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:35 PM

I've tried the Teeter inversion table at my local PT clinic. Felt good, but was limited to 5 minutes due to a potentially dangerous rise in interoccular pressure. Also noticed pressure/discomfort from hanging from ankles.

Has anyone tried a LumbarTrac contraption? Much more expensive ($2250) vs. an inversion table ($150-300) but benefits are that spinal decompression is not limited to 5 minutes and user can control exactly how much decompression is focused on the lumbar region and spine. There's also a neck decompression feature. Here's a video that shows how to use it.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:03 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSTRider View Post
but benefits are that spinal decompression is not limited to 5 minutes
I was going to ask about this exact topic related to inversion tables / chairs / boots - how long do the benefits last? After all, it's tough to fight gravity for long.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:47 PM

I started an inversion table thread last week. I guess it's a trendy topic...
Old 02-13-2019, 04:07 AM

I purchased the Teeter EP-560 Ltd. Inversion Table through Woot at a steal of a price and haven't regretted one bit. I use it after every ride, which has helped me on the long road of recovery.

Background. I have a bulging disc at L3 combined with imbalance in left hip that has led to a series of issues and constant pain. The key is strong muscle, which requires training - strength and stretching - that can lead to tight muscles and piss off the nerve. The inversion table combined with yoga, hot soaks, and deliberate attention to correct poor posture and stride has me on the right road.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnm View Post
I am shopping for one to help with a tired back especially after long rides.

Anyone else using an inversion table?

Have you tried a foam roller?
Old 02-13-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahumblecycler View Post
I purchased the Teeter EP-560 Ltd. Inversion Table through Woot at a steal of a price and haven't regretted one bit. I use it after every ride, which has helped me on the long road of recovery.

Background. I have a bulging disc at L3 combined with imbalance in left hip that has led to a series of issues and constant pain. The key is strong muscle, which requires training - strength and stretching - that can lead to tight muscles and piss off the nerve. The inversion table combined with yoga, hot soaks, and deliberate attention to correct poor posture and stride has me on the right road.
I am facing the same issue. I have a herniated disk at L3-L4. I don't want to go the microdisectomy route yet. So I am getting a cortisone shot to help ease the pain. Then i will focus on making flexibility exercise a daily routine as well as yoga.

Maybe I should get an inversion table as well.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:37 AM
bourbon!

I have a Teeter of some sort. I paid like half price for it because it was a scratch and dent model. It is helpful, esp if I use it daily.

There is def some pressure in the head but that subsides the more you use it. I can go 10 mins or so with no issue.

For the ones that hang you from your hips, can you maybe lay over a table and have someone hold your legs? Or get on one of those back extension things they have at the gym.

Old 02-13-2019, 11:15 AM

A note of caution: use of inversion tables can seriously mess with the inner ear and trigger vertigo or vertigo-like dizziness. I would suggest if you have this symptom to try one first before you buy it , if that's possible. Am speaking from experience....

But other than that, yeah spinal decompression is a wonderful thing.