Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-17-2024, 08:07 PM

OT: Took the Plunge on a 3d Printer - Now what?

I posted a while back asking for suggestions on which printer to get and after a lot of back and forth I just pulled the trigger on a Bambu Lab P1S Combo. The Prusa was appealing but at this stage in life, I have a lot of other hobbies I am learning and young kids, so I opted for something a bit more plug and play.

While I eagerly await it's arrival, what some places folks trust for project files? Seems like thingverse is the main game, but curious to whittle down what else is out there. What else should I be looking at in preparation, info on different filaments etc.?

Lastly what are some fun beginner prints, cycling related or otherwise. My 5yo is obsessed with Legos, so bonus points for that content.
Old 08-17-2024, 08:39 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Invent then build the best ever Garmin / smart phone holder.
Old 08-17-2024, 08:44 PM

Reproduce the slip in inserts for Campagnolo 8/9 Ergo levers that are between the shifter body and the clamp. Don't know what they are called or why they should go missing but they do.
Old 08-17-2024, 08:59 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

https://www.printables.com
A nicer thingiverse

https://www.thingiverse.com
The place to find files

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/...thread.384990/
The place to get inspiration on a large scale.

Start with Tinkercad for taking existing STL files and making basic changes to them:
https://www.tinkercad.com/dashboard
Old 08-17-2024, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
https://www.printables.com
A nicer thingiverse

https://www.thingiverse.com
The place to find files

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/...thread.384990/
The place to get inspiration on a large scale.

Start with Tinkercad for taking existing STL files and making basic changes to them:
https://www.tinkercad.com/dashboard
Just the kind of stuff I was looking for, thanks!
Old 08-18-2024, 03:50 AM

Typical 3D Printer life cycle goes something like that:

1. Buy a 3D printer you don't need.
2. Waste kilograms of plastic making useless trinkets you'd not spend a penny on otherwise.
3. Try hard to find 'practical uses' AKA spend hours printing spacers and angle brackets that would cost next to nothing at Home Depot.
4. Put it in the garage where it will collect dust until you throw it away, adding to local landfill.

If you bought it without a clear use in mind the best thing you can do is try to return it.
Second best is throw it away immediately, seems counterintuitive, but the alternative is just wasting spools of filament on 'cool projects' before skipping to this step.

Last edited by Talrand; 08-18-2024 at 03:54 AM.
Old 08-18-2024, 04:51 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talrand View Post

2. Waste kilograms of plastic making useless trinkets you'd not spend a penny on otherwise.
3. Try hard to find 'practical uses' AKA spend hours printing spacers and angle brackets that would cost next to nothing at Home Depot.
4. Put it in the garage where it will collect dust until you throw it away, adding to local landfill.
You need to think outside the box:

Old 08-18-2024, 07:05 AM

Quote:

If you bought it without a clear use in mind the best thing you can do is try to return it.
Second best is throw it away immediately, seems counterintuitive, but the alternative is just wasting spools of filament on 'cool projects' before skipping to this step.
I can see that happening for some, but I did not mean that I don't have any clear use cases.

I use the Milwaukee Packout system and there are several mounts and adapters that I have needed which cost $20+ each that I will be able to print and customize as needed. On those alone I'll be making a dent in the purchase price.

I also sew, woodwork and other maker pursuits, so the ability to expand my jig and patterning hardware will be improved as well. These are just on the start of my 'practical list', having young kids means it will also be used for some fun projects, as well as trying to encourage interest and engagement in the STEM elements that come with 3D printing
Old 08-18-2024, 07:19 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

I would think that just as important as the 3D printer itself, you'd want to have a good CAD package.
Old 08-18-2024, 07:31 AM

Maybe print a muzzle for Talrand?
Old 08-18-2024, 09:20 AM

Agreed @Louis! When I volunteered at the library for CAD and 3DP, tinkercad was great for starting kids (and adults) on their first projects. For complex shapes, parametric CAD wins out for me, since adding fillets or modifying one of many objects in the part updates everything. Onshape works well, is a pro level tool, and is free for personal use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
I would think that just as important as the 3D printer itself, you'd want to have a good CAD package.

Last edited by Carbonita; 08-18-2024 at 04:32 PM.
Old 08-18-2024, 09:28 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:

What an absolute $hit post. Go ride your bike or take a walk before posting a broad generalization here or hand out absolutely baseless advice at 4 in the morning.

OP - perfect hobbies for a 3D printer and it will no doubt save you hundreds of dollars over the first 6 months. Once you get the hang of designing things, having a printer on hands makes going from a digital world to a working prototype so quick that you'll be on version 3 in your head while you test fit version 1.

The 3D printers today are what welders were 60 years ago. Except instead of simply attaching things together, you can make whatever you want and nobody can tell you no.

Perhaps the coolest thing about the 3D printing community is the open source aka free aspect of so many files out there to start with. People share designs, remix them, and share them openly for other to use and do the same thing. It no doubt replaces countless trips to the store for something that would otherwise a compromise on the perfect part you made yourself in a few minutes on the printer.

Overall, a pretty dang affordable hobby compared to cycling and the resale value on that P1S will remain high for a few more years in case you are ready to upgrade or it doesn't work out.
Old 08-18-2024, 09:53 AM

How many years until 3D printers are in most households? How many more years until young people don't believe there was a world before 3D printers?

They will be cheap, fast and so useful. Need a part for your refrigerator? Print it out and install it. No more shipping.

I do not have a 3D printer.

Jeff
Old 08-18-2024, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdm View Post
How many years until 3D printers are in most households? How many more years until young people don't believe there was a world before 3D printers?

They will be cheap, fast and so useful. Need a part for your refrigerator? Print it out and install it. No more shipping.

I do not have a 3D printer.

Jeff
Except the way things will work is that you get to pay whatever corp there is that allows you to print the part they sold you from your own home.
Old 08-18-2024, 02:53 PM

I see the 3D printer as a tool I'll use probably as often as my table saw. For that frequency, it's worth owning. The degin / iteration process is also fun. I use tinkercad at this point - it does what I need at the resolution necessary. But finding somebody else's design is even better.

As someone who is trying to eliminate plastic from my daily life, I do see the downside of the material and process - that criticism is fair.