Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-07-2024, 10:07 PM

How often do you have to ride a bike in order to justify keeping it?

I realize the automatic response for many members is “never” but I’m really trying to thin the herd. Interested in other people’s perspectives.
Old 03-07-2024, 10:11 PM

Rode one of my bikes in July 2023. Now it's been hiding in the basement that I cannot even find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
I realize the automatic response for many members is “never” but I’m really trying to thin the herd. Interested in other people’s perspectives.
Old 03-07-2024, 10:14 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Being in denial, I can not participate... Used to be one year though, but I'm past on that....

Last edited by robt57; 03-07-2024 at 10:51 PM.
Old 03-07-2024, 10:31 PM

I have a real hard time getting rid of bikes; their carrying cost is basically zero, so. But I’m thinking of doing it to make room for others, so the question will just be “does this one still make me happy?” and/or “is this one still useful for what I need a bike for?”

I’ll probably sell my Roubaix, which I haven’t ridden in a long time and road riding is less of a thing for me now. But it was my first “real bike” and the one that got me into cycling, so I have a soft spot for it. But of all my bikes it’s the one that really doesn’t have a place anymore.

Meanwhile I have a hybrid single-speed conversion bike with fenders/racks that I’ve had forever, and is super useful for errands and brewery runs, etc. I’ll keep that one because nothing else I have will do that. And nobody wants my old bike with brewery stickers all over it anyway.
Old 03-07-2024, 10:35 PM

Never

I have bicycles I have never ridden

I will not keep bikes that aren’t my size
Old 03-07-2024, 10:35 PM
Back At It!

if it doesn't have some special sentimental value, until I get tired of seeing it or playing around with it.. my issue is I think I'm too quick to get rid of a bike sometimes..
Old 03-07-2024, 10:45 PM

My track bike from 1987 is hanging in the garage. I haven't ridden on the track since 1994. The only bike I want to ditch is my father in law's Schwinn (Walmart) mountain bike that takes up space in my garage.

I have bigger issues than bikes, I still have the 1967 Mustang Coupe I bought in 1983. I guess it fits.
Old 03-07-2024, 10:48 PM

You guys keep bikes?

Old 03-07-2024, 10:54 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
You guys keep bikes?

Seems ludicrous, don't it..
Old 03-08-2024, 12:55 AM

To stay in the fold, a bike has to either get ridden somewhat regularly, fill a perceived future need, or have some strong sentimental attachment. At least one of the three.

The second point, though, gets me into trouble, because it's really easy to invent possible future needs in my head.
Old 03-08-2024, 02:00 AM
Byron

How often do you have to read a book to justify keeping it?
Old 03-08-2024, 03:30 AM

Given I live in a four season state there is no set amount of time. My Waterford I bought around 5 years ago is one of the only bikes in my current stable that isn't new to me over the past two seasons. It doesn't get ridden a ton, but it does still serve a purpose and I have the space.

I get it out at least 10 times a year and use it for early and late season road rides because it simply hasn't sold at the price I listed it at. It is worth more to me as a back up bike than less than $700. I enjoy riding it when I take it out and although it's a 9spd triple rim brake bike I still keep up with my riding buddies.

I suppose if I didn't ride it all then I would drop the price until it sold. Bikes come and go. They are objects/tools/sports equipment. I enjoy riding and trying them out. Some stay for longer than others, but they all get passed on to other folks eventually.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
Old 03-08-2024, 03:37 AM

Sadly i have a Meivici that I have ridden only 4 times since 2015. Last ride was 100 miler 3 years ago.

Can't bring myself to "wave goodbye" to it, despite it being too large!

Justification for retention? Its a Meivici ...lol

Alan
Old 03-08-2024, 05:30 AM

My moots gets ridden on the trainer a dozen times a year and maybe a few times outside. Think about selling it, but as above, it's monetary worth is low enough that it's hard to justify selling.

My track bike has not been to the track since the pandemic started, and only ridden a few times on the road since then. Once again, the money I'd get out of it does not justify selling it.

I wish shipping and duties were less here, I'd love to live the clean39t bikestyle. Buy, try and not be monogamous.

Last edited by pdonk; 03-08-2024 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-08-2024, 05:33 AM

I try to ride each of my bikes at least 500 miles per year. Typically, that means I have about 3 bikes ready-to-ride at any time. When one of those bikes gets to 500+ miles, I take it down to the basement and bring up a new one. I spend the summer in Maine where I only have three bikes, so there I end up riding one or two bikes for 1000+ miles. Last year, I rode 14 different bikes each over 500 miles. I usually give away a bike or two each year to friends or family. I tell them when they ride it 500 miles, then they own it.

One bad thing about this policy is that my favorite bikes tend to get the fewest rides because I save them for the “good” (i.e. longer) rides.