Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-07-2024, 12:54 PM

Better Garmin Varia Radar Mount -REVIEWED

I just picked up this mount from Garmin. https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/874032. It's fairly new to the Garmin line up.

If you have a Varia Radar RCT715(Heavy). Or an RTL515 or any other Garmin Radar this is a perfect mount. Comes with adaptors for all Garmin Radars. Made from aluminum. Backed by Garmin's great customer service.

I just mounted to my Fizik Vento Argo 00 Adaptive Saddle, which has unique Mobius 10mmx7mm carbon rails. Specifies only for 7x7 round rails. But, it fit perfectly, tucks up under saddle. Looks super slick. RCT715 is rock solid and not on my post anymore.

2019 Specialized Tarmac SL6

Last edited by crcycle; 04-07-2024 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Title
Old 04-07-2024, 01:24 PM

I've also spent some time trying to find a better solution than the standard Garmin seatpost mount since its prone to getting knocked around and pointing the Varia to the side.

I've tried the standard Amazon style cheapo mounts but found my legs will rub against them from time to time especially while out of the saddle. I found it a bit annoying.

I wanted to stay away from a seat mounted solution to more easily keep my saddle bag on the bike and ended up ordering a 3D printed one from this instagram user Lucendi. They focus a lot on the weight savings but to me the benefit of this style is that the fastening bolt is behind the seatpost rather than on the side, slimming down the profile.

I found out about Lucendi from this Rides of Japan video where he makes a DIY mount using a standard Garmin handlebar mount and high density packaging foam which you could do as well if you wish.

The DIY and 3D printed plastic versions may be too flimsy for the Varia RTC715 but they work for the 515!
Old 04-07-2024, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crcycle View Post
I just picked up this mount from Garmin. https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/874032. It's fairly new to the Garmin line up.

If you have a Varia Radar RCT715(Heavy). Or an RTL515 or any other Garmin Radar this is a perfect mount. Comes with adaptors for all Garmin Radars. Made from aluminum. Backed by Garmin's great customer service.

I just mounted to my Fizik Vento Argo 00 Adaptive Saddle, which has unique Mobius 10mmx7mm carbon rails. Specifies only for 7x7 round rails. But, it fit perfectly, tucks up under saddle. Looks super slick. RCT715 is rock solid and not on my post anymore.
I tried something similar on my Antares Adaptive (road) and my Argo Adaptive (gravel). I couldn’t use saddlebag with it. This is less of a problem on gravel, because I use a small frame bag and/or top tube bag. But on the road, I like to carry my tire repair tools and a tube in a saddlebag. I wish Fizik was still using its ICS mounts. That made it easy to mount the Varia to my seat and I still could use a saddle bag.
Old 04-07-2024, 01:48 PM

I keep it simple and cheap with a standard disc mount on the back of my saddle bags. One bag for clincher equipped bikes and one for the tubulars.

Old 04-07-2024, 02:01 PM

might have to try this since I have many a bike with a mobius railed saddle.
Old 04-07-2024, 03:49 PM

Plenty of options online for a saddle rail mounted garmin style mount that don't cost $50us

I bought mine for $13cad with free shipping.
Old 04-07-2024, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Permanent socks View Post
Plenty of options online for a saddle rail mounted garmin style mount that don't cost $50us

I bought mine for $13cad with free shipping.
yeah but 715 is very different from others
Old 04-07-2024, 05:02 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
I keep it simple and cheap with a standard disc mount on the back of my saddle bags. One bag for clincher equipped bikes and one for the tubulars.

I think I'm always the radar (or light) will be pointing down too much.. no issues with that?
Old 04-07-2024, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
I keep it simple and cheap with a standard disc mount on the back of my saddle bags.
How does it attach to your seat bag?
Old 04-07-2024, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smontanaro View Post
How does it attach to your seat bag?
They all have a loop there. You just run the rubber band behind the loop and then over the mount.

Old 04-07-2024, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
I think I'm always the radar (or light) will be pointing down too much.. no issues with that?
Well I can't speak for the light since I can't see it but the radar seems to work great even when pointed down pretty extremely. When used with this setup on the Y-Foil I don't see any degradation in range or alerts. Not sure about the light though, LOL!

Not sure of the technical details on the Varia' as in the waveform pattern or whatever and didn't expect it to work with this setup on the Trek, But it still detects cars far way, tracks as they approach, and detects multiple targets same as on the other bikes. I was actually planning on adhering a rubber wedge of some sort to fix the angle but in use I don't see any degradation so I've stopped worrying about it.

Last edited by jamesdak; 04-07-2024 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-07-2024, 07:15 PM

Better Garmin Varia Radar Mount -REVIEWED

I just bought this seat post specific mount for my Varia. This is for the Specialized D-post on my ‘21 S-Works Roubaix. It works great!

About $35 shipped

They have different mounts for different seat posts.

neat-components.com

Gary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2024, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crcycle View Post
Garmin wasn't the originator of this style of mount, it's been on the aftermarket for nearly as long as the RTL510 has been out.

https://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Suppo...dp/B088WZ31J4?
Old 04-07-2024, 09:42 PM

Unfortunately neat-components.com do not offer the same mount style for general saddles as per the original post.
Old 04-07-2024, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice rocket View Post
Garmin wasn't the originator of this style of mount, it's been on the aftermarket for nearly as long as the RTL510 has been out.

https://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Suppo...dp/B088WZ31J4?
You are right about being around awhile. I think K-Edge makes one as well. The one that I am most impressed with is specifically for the RCT715. Which is a very heavy unit and has its own proprietary mounting attachment. Adaptors included for other Radar versions. The Garmin is built like a beast and I am confident that it will support any weight on any surface.

2019 Specialized Tarmac SL6

Last edited by crcycle; 04-08-2024 at 05:31 AM. Reason: spelling