Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-01-2019, 06:30 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbike4 View Post
I am not up on all things internet. POTM must be post of the month, can't be princess of the moon.
Post of the Morning...
Old 07-01-2019, 09:22 AM

I would testor it and call it a day and ride the hell out of it...nice frame btw! Great frames those and cool color......if it still bugged me I guess toss a cool sticker on it...personally, I wouldn't get too hung up on the injustice of the whole thing...if after all that and it was a great ride and I kept looking down at that bad testor spot and/or sticker and just couldn't get over it and kept thinking about it to much, I would prolly just go see a therapist and bring the bike into the session to show Him/Her...but that's just me...

Last edited by cash05458; 07-01-2019 at 09:28 AM.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:50 AM

To everyone saying the OP got a great deal and should just deal with it, I disagree. That bike was sold to the highest bidder, so the OP paid at the top of market value. Sure, there are fluctuations from week to week but not as much as you'd think and plus we're in peak season. The OP literally paid more than anyone wanted to pay on the world's biggest used bike marketplace.

It's also not a $466 bike when the seller charged the inflated price of $135 to ship.

Put it this way... if the OP tried to resell the bike he'd have to disclose the damage because that's the right thing to do. That makes the bike less valuable than the price he paid.

I recently dealt with something similar on a used Serotta. I paid what many would consider a great price (except no one wanted to pay more ) and the bike arrived with a light dent and some damage to the cable guide not disclosed. The seller tried to pass it off as no big deal, the bike was a great deal, not a safety issue, etc. but I had to insist we work something out because I've ridden enough dented frames to know I didn't want to look at one on the top tube and the bike is considerably less valuable upon resale because I would disclose it to the next buyer.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cash05458 View Post
I would testor it and call it a day and ride the hell out of it...nice frame btw! Great frames those and cool color....if after all that and it was a great ride and I kept looking down at that bad testor spot and/or sticker and just couldn't get over it and kept thinking about it to much, I would prolly just go see a therapist and bring the bike into the session to show Him/Her...but that's just me...
Not sure any amount of therapy would fix some of the stuff in my head. Just have to live with it and avoid stepping on the cracks in the sidewalk.

This has been resolved with some money back from the seller. Put the bike together last night for a test ride. Pretty sweet and the 9 speed triple group will come off ASAP with Ultegra 8000 going on. A nice 3TTT stem and bars. I threw a front wheel on with a 25mm tire and it will probably work with about 3mm clearance. As nice as silver bits look on it most likely going with the 50mm carbon hoops and black bits.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Atlanta orange_1.jpg (116.7 KB, 287 views)
Old 07-01-2019, 10:04 AM
50 bpm

Glad you and the seller worked out something. You'll find a creative solution (either a sticker or Testor's. Sometimes you have to mix Testor's to get the right color; I did that with a CSI a while back).

It's going to look beautiful in basic black.

PS: If you want to part with that Thomson elite post, PM me!
Old 07-01-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegoready View Post
To everyone saying the OP got a great deal and should just deal with it, I disagree. That bike was sold to the highest bidder, so the OP paid at the top of market value. Sure, there are fluctuations from week to week but not as much as you'd think and plus we're in peak season. The OP literally paid more than anyone wanted to pay on the world's biggest used bike marketplace.

It's also not a $466 bike when the seller charged the inflated price of $135 to ship.

Put it this way... if the OP tried to resell the bike he'd have to disclose the damage because that's the right thing to do. That makes the bike less valuable than the price he paid.

I recently dealt with something similar on a used Serotta. I paid what many would consider a great price (except no one wanted to pay more ) and the bike arrived with a light dent and some damage to the cable guide not disclosed. The seller tried to pass it off as no big deal, the bike was a great deal, not a safety issue, etc. but I had to insist we work something out because I've ridden enough dented frames to know I didn't want to look at one on the top tube and the bike is considerably less valuable upon resale because I would disclose it to the next buyer.
Wow. You said exactly what I was going to mention to folks that say I stole it, got a great deal, etc. I always look at the deal as, "can I sell it for what I paid for it?" So indeed I paid FMV+ as nobody wanted to bid higher. I did think shipping was way too high and asked the seller why? 1/2 of the cost went to the LBS to pack it. I was OK with that since the seller could not be trusted to handle that.

The parts I don't want will be sold, money back from the seller and the end result is I am getting the frame for what I consider a fair price. I am pleased with the outcome.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:09 AM

glad you got some cash back...lovely bike...congrats!
Old 07-01-2019, 11:35 AM
I need you cool.

Quote:
...I am pleased with the outcome.
That is awesome. Congrats on a great bike.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:46 AM

Glad it all worked out. Atlanta's are great bikes. Wish I never sold mine. It's going to look great with the components you're putting on it. Ride report when you get some miles!!
Old 07-01-2019, 11:51 AM
Administrator

fair outcome!

lovely bicycle. enjoy!
Old 07-01-2019, 03:09 PM

From that angle cant see the scratch tho :P

Nice bike you got there... congrats...
Old 07-01-2019, 03:12 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
From that angle cant see the scratch tho :P

Nice bike you got there... congrats...
and thats the only angle that matters on the internet
Old 07-01-2019, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Glad it worked out for you!
Old 07-01-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
most likely going with the 50mm carbon hoops and black bits.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:52 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegoready View Post

thanks for this. point taken