Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-28-2020, 05:03 PM

If anyone stumbles across a Large in the custom orange color, shoot me PM!

They called it "Tangerine"

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attac...1&d=1589464078
Attached Images
File Type: jpg look585.JPG (29.1 KB, 404 views)
Old 06-28-2020, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paredown View Post

I could use a minty XL if you know of one.
Old 06-28-2020, 08:48 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

I do like that Tangerine...
Old 06-29-2020, 09:02 AM

Quote:

I've been watching for this in my size for a number of years now. Yep, Tangerine and you don't see many. Lots of people are not fond of it...but I call it "unique". Let me know if you find one in a S or XS. And I'll watch for a Large as well.
Old 06-29-2020, 04:09 PM

Quote:

I ended up with both a Tangerine 585 and a 586.... (".38 / .39 - whatever it takes"). Both are great riding bikes, but I think the 586 is a tad more supple and is closer to my Ti bikes in the way it soaks up road chatter. The 585 is the better climber / descender, but that is likely due to wheels and a slightly more aggressive set-up.

The color pops on the Tangerine IMG_20200327_121722.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by Exonerv; 06-29-2020 at 04:12 PM.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:18 PM

I really miss my 585. Pox on the scumbag who broke into my house and stole it.

PS if anyone needs a copy of the 585 manual for the HSC 5 fork and headset, I have an copy that I could send you.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:26 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Will stick this here and in PSAs.

This looks a nice bike/alternative.

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...149871659.html
Old 06-29-2020, 08:52 PM

Been casually looking for a LOOK 585 Optimum XL for a while. People who have them must love them – I never see them come up for sale.

Can you put 28 tires on them? The sportive geometry + fat tires sound like a dream for long rides.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:12 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddtn View Post
Been casually looking for a LOOK 585 Optimum XL for a while. People who have them must love them – I never see them come up for sale.

Can you put 28 tires on them? The sportive geometry + fat tires sound like a dream for long rides.
Some 28s yes. Not GranPrix 4K 28s. But I don't have an Optimum, but being they use the same fork, and rear end??

But on my Origin 25s feel like 28s do on my other bikes frankly.

Last edited by robt57; 06-29-2020 at 09:15 PM.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
But on my Origin 25s feel like 28s do on my other bikes frankly.
Oh man now I have to find one just to feel the plush ride.

Other than geometry, did they change anything else on the Optimum? Same stiffness as Origin?
Old 06-29-2020, 11:10 PM
You still here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddtn View Post

Just measured my Optimum with HED wheels & 25mm rims, 700c25 Conti GP4000 tire, which measure a true 27.2mm. Enough safe clearances on front fork, seat stay and chain stays but a plump 28 would not fit.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerv View Post
I ended up with both a Tangerine 585 and a 586. Both are great riding bikes, but I think the 586 is a tad more supple and is closer to my Ti bikes in the way it soaks up road chatter. The 585 is the better climber / descender, but that is likely due to wheels and a slightly more aggressive set-up.

The color pops on the Tangerine.

The "Tangerine" color is fantastic imo, really rich, and the grey/silver/white details complement the color very well. Beautiful combination.
Old 06-26-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderR View Post
Interesting. Do you mean a Colnago "58" (which from memory has 56.5 tt)?
Yes--a Colnago '59' CT-1) was what I had--and pre carbon geo put that at about 56.5, which I think matches the newer '58' in frames from the C-50 era and newer.
Old 08-16-2023, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
The Look 585 series was the successor to the 381/481. The 481 replaced the 381 but they were nearly identical. This series came in about 14 different sizes, each one slightly optimized in its geometry.

The 585 had larger tubes, carbon lugs and used a standard sized seatpost, in contrast to the 481, which used a non-standard seatpost and aluminum lugs and dropouts. The 585 has much more carbon. It was also made in fewer sizes, either five or six instead of fourteen. Of great appeal to many people is the fact that Looks of this era use normal, threaded bottom brackets. Use your Shimano or Campagnolo or Sram with confidence. They are not proprietary.

I owned a 381 and really enjoyed it for several years but then graduated to a 585, which I felt never fit quite right. I own several today and feel the same way but they're within the margin of error and work just fine.

It's not clear to me why they have a nice ride quality but they are pretty good at muting and damping a coarse road surface. They're not overly stiff but are stiff enough for most riders most of the time

Things to watch out for, in my experience, are peeling clear coat and especially mismatched headset parts. I've seen this and getting the right washers and races is nearly impossible if the previous owner attempted to "Upgrade" their headset. Don't even try. They accept a standard bearing AFAIK but the races are critical.

The Origin and Ultra are identical AFAIK except the Ultra uses a different carbon layup and possibly an extra layer in places and is advertised as being 15% stiffer. This seems plausible as I've had both but I also think it may result in less damping of the ride quality. Again, it's splitting hairs and it can't be measured. I like the Ultra for the mental game that it's stiffer and also for the aesthetic of the black carbon.

They show up on eBay with regularity and the prices are reasonable. I would pay $800 for a real NOS version with fork and headset and up to $500 for one in excellent condition. But no more than this.

I also own a Giant TCR Advanced SL and the Looks get ridden more than the nominally "higher performance" Giant.

They're not super stiff but they're not noodles either if you're not a World Tour sprinter. They're fine road bikes if they fit your body shape and riding style. They are race bikes, not gravel bikes. I can fit 25mm tires on wide rims on mine but that doesn't leave much clearance. Mostly I use 23s on wide rims.

Hopefully this sheds some light on Look 585s. I think they were last produced about a decade ago, so honestly, they're no longer remotely current. But they are as good today as when they were produced and that was pretty good. Since I'm stuck in the past I'm OK with how they ride for my current mileage and riding style.

Here are the two in my fleet I ride the most. The white one lives in Minneapolis and gets ridden when i'm in town there. The black one lives with me in Chicago and gets the most mileage of all my bikes these days. Both are photographed at beer stops, which is how I enjoy my rides these days!

Look 585 Origin (repainted)

Look 585 Ultra

White color looks sharp!
Old 08-16-2023, 04:27 PM

I used to have a 585 that was stolen. I absolutely loved it.

It seemed like it should have been super stiff, fat tubes all the way around and narrow tires only. But somehow it didn't seem overly stiff. Not plush by any imagination but I can recall the road having to get pretty rough before it felt harsh.

Also, great style. Pre-disc, it looked modern and classic at the same time.

I got it down to about 15.5 pounds. Some of my fastest Strava climbing segments are still from that bike.