Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-24-2024, 10:56 AM
Older Than You

E-Bikes

I'm just wondering how many members own and frequently use their E-Bikes.
At 85 I'm reluctantly starting to look different brands that offer pedal assist but no throttle.

I'm seeing more and more of these with riders in their 60's. Mostly Trek and Specialized.
Old 03-24-2024, 11:03 AM

Why the reluctance? I've been riding ebikes for over a decade. They're getting better and better every year. The only hesitation most people have now is the price. If you can afford a nice ebike, you should get one!
Old 03-24-2024, 11:09 AM
Meh

Yeah. Get one. My mom is 10 years younger than you and her ebike has transformed her life (and probably extended it). No downside except for price - expect around $4000 for a good one from a reputable brand (ie not Rad Power Bikes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
Why the reluctance? I've been riding ebikes for over a decade. They're getting better and better every year. The only hesitation most people have now is the price. If you can afford a nice ebike, you should get one!
And it seems like the prices have come WAY down from 10 years ago.

OP: I say go for it!

A friend, 66, got one. She used to rack up the miles on her bike, but she had a knee replacement that went sideways and ever since has had a lot of pain. The Ebike has allowed her to continue to ride
Old 03-24-2024, 11:23 AM
Older Than You

Thanks for the responses.

As a bike shop employee I do get a nice discount. Still, that's a lot of money for a bike.
Old 03-24-2024, 11:59 AM

My wife got one to commute to work around 9 years ago. Hearing her praises, I got one shortly after. In our location, e-bikes made the trip to work time shorter than driving, and more pleasurable. We ended up getting rid of our downtown parking spot and use the e-bikes exclusively in rain, sun or sleet, also while wearing our work clothes along the way. Not sure of your commute situation, but if it's close enough for e-biking, you won't regret the convenience.

Last edited by Erikg; 03-24-2024 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-24-2024, 12:03 PM

Turbo Creo

I was a pretty early adopter. About 28 pounds. Swore I'd ride it as much as possible with the motor off cuz it's a fine carbon road bike and I still wanted to stay in some kind of good shape. But it's so much damn fun I found myself riding with the motor on...a lot. Problem came when it was in the shop for some maintenance and the only bike I had to ride was my regular me bike. I was so out of shape. Watch out for how much you like it and whether or not non-motor riding and keeping up with the pack is still in the cards for you. Spoiled me rotten.
Old 03-24-2024, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker72 View Post
I'm just wondering how many members own and frequently use their E-Bikes.
At 85 I'm reluctantly starting to look different brands that offer pedal assist but no throttle.

I'm seeing more and more of these with riders in their 60's. Mostly Trek and Specialized.
If you're reluctantly looking, then that's who you are (perhaps). The e-bike category which limits assistance to 20 mph (Category 1??) can get you enough power, enough range, and a pretty light bike. I'm familiar with the Lemond, and the Orbea Gain, both fun to ride. If an e-bike can keep the wheels spinning, its a good thing.
Old 03-24-2024, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
Problem came when it was in the shop for some maintenance and the only bike I had to ride was my regular bike. I was so out of shape.
That's one of the concerns I have... unfortunately, pretty likely to lose fitness.
Old 03-24-2024, 02:30 PM

Have one for past 3 years, really helped keep my mileage and smiles up (multiple back surgeries).

Bosch SX (mid drive) series is what I would look at if starting from now. My dream would be another Firefly, unfortunately 2.5 years.

Another option at your age (risk of fracture) a good powered trike, there are some real hot ones out there now. Neighbor your age has one. After (hopefully) my current recovery will head over here:

https://bike-on.com/product-tag/recumbent/
Old 03-24-2024, 04:03 PM

Domane+ purchased about a year ago.
Changed my cycling from pain to go!.
Mostly I ride in low speed. I ride much harder now than before because knee pain while riding is now nil. I occasionally turn the motor off on hills just to see if I still have “it”. Rode about a quarter of Friday’s ride with no power since one of the riders is starting to ride hills; puts us on even footing. Another rider had a Spec e-bike on the ride.
Feverishly waxing chains today and can’t wait to take the non-e-bikes out for a ride. I just won’t go as fast or as far.

Everyone seems to gripe about cost.
What’s sitting in your driveway?
From my perspective, if I can never ride again, the money spent was well worth the pleasure I’ve had.
Old 03-24-2024, 04:26 PM
50 bpm

Get one. More importantly, if you're still riding analog at 85 please send me a vial of your corpuscles!

I was waiting for the next-gen road Creo but was just told that product is on hold while Specialized re-examines the market. They're doing fine with the Creo 2 e-gravel bike, apparently, and don't at this point see a need for a road companion.
Old 03-24-2024, 04:38 PM

E-bikes are great for keeping you out riding. People who don't ride e-bikes will tell you that you are not getting a workout, but that is just. not. true. The difference is that you choose how hard you want to work. And if it keeps you out riding longer, then you will actually get a better workout on the e-bike.

I have a friend who has a nerve issue that hampers their ability to pedal hard. They bought an e-bike and now they are back on the group ride, having fun and staying fit.

You'll notice the extra weight when lifting it on to the rack or into the car, but the nicer mid-power bikes (eg. Creo, Skitch, Rouvida) are under 30 pounds.
Old 03-24-2024, 04:45 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbanero View Post
You'll notice the extra weight when lifting it on to the rack or into the car, but the nicer mid-power bikes (eg. Creo, Skitch, Rouvida) are under 30 pounds.
Careful mentioning the Rouvida or the Skitch here or this thread will veer off into 20 pages about how they are actually mopeds.