Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Production Bikes

Old 06-14-2019, 12:41 PM
ZhugeLiang

When in doubt...put more sealant.

Steve pal, I like your new bike. When I was having leaky problems with my kenda tires a few months ago before the New Mexico trip, I simply put more sealant in. I know it's not the best solution but I haven't had any air leaks since then. I have yet to have the need to inflate the tires since I got back from the trip, and that's almost four months ago!
Old 06-16-2019, 11:33 PM
ZhugeLiang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAv_eaL-v5g
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fat.jpg (113.1 KB, 407 views)
Old 06-17-2019, 09:16 AM

butt'r.
I like it, especially the sequences cruising past riders with adorably skinny tires.

Admittedly, the Lauf True Grit has borderline quaint tires at just 42mm as I have it, but the bike as a system works exceedingly well for gravel. I took it on a varied gravel ride yesterday, many miles with everything from smooth to rumbly to rutted and then some extended climbing at the end. Usually that sort of thing has me aching at the end, but I was feeling rather fresh after it all. The fork is really doing something even though it's not doing a lot at any moment. And the wheels can be let to roll a little more in the rough. The bike can tick away the road transfer miles nicely as well. Good stuff.

Instagram
Old 06-28-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
When in doubt...put more sealant.

Steve pal, I like your new bike. When I was having leaky problems with my kenda tires a few months ago before the New Mexico trip, I simply put more sealant in.
Sound advice Weisan. I added a bit more, shook up the wheel and let it sit for a few days. The tire seems to be sealed and holding. Why is 3 ounces better than 2??? Though a part of my brain still thinks the tire is going soft at times even though it actually is not, crazy brain.

I'm digging this bike. A tire swap, slick or knobby, change the personality of it, but it always fun to ride. It feels efficient and smooth. Not a capable as a mtb or as fast as a road bike but definitely fun doing whatever. Good mojo.

Instagram
Old 07-07-2019, 09:04 PM

I was with Hilltopper when he test rode the True Grit, and wish I had done so as well. I was just too spent. I have to say the fork looks much nicer than the original Lauf fork—much less offset. I bet it’s a blast to ride.
Old 08-27-2019, 01:19 PM

Any updates after some more miles?
Old 08-28-2019, 01:47 AM

Looks beautiful and I have tried one before but those forks..well let's say it's not for everyone
Old 08-28-2019, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gintas_ce View Post
Looks beautiful and I have tried one before but those forks..well let's say it's not for everyone

Can you elaborate on that?
Is it the price? Or the way they work? Etc...
Old 08-29-2019, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_mm View Post
Can you elaborate on that?
Is it the price? Or the way they work? Etc...
Well first it was the looks..i know it's very subjective. Maybe I am just for more conventional looks. Performance wise it worked well and it felt like it's more suitable for faster rides though when cornering you can feel that flex. And obviously no tunning or adjusting on that fork. Aaaand then the price
Old 08-29-2019, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gintas_ce View Post
Well first it was the looks..i know it's very subjective. Maybe I am just for more conventional looks. Performance wise it worked well and it felt like it's more suitable for faster rides though when cornering you can feel that flex. And obviously no tunning or adjusting on that fork. Aaaand then the price
I read one review that mentioned that the SL version of this fork felt more predictable / less flexy around corners. I'm intrigued by this fork and am thinking of going with it for my first gravel bike build. I'm not as worried about the looks so much for this build but also realize it would probably grab more attention wherever I go.
Old 08-30-2019, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp! View Post
I read one review that mentioned that the SL version of this fork felt more predictable / less flexy around corners.
Can you link the mentioned article, please?
Old 08-30-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplemind View Post
Can you link the mentioned article, please?
Haven't trouble finding it now. I seen multiple listings of this fork on eBay and wanted to see what the difference was between the SL fork Vs. the other.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp! View Post
I read one review that mentioned that the SL version of this fork felt more predictable / less flexy around corners. I'm intrigued by this fork and am thinking of going with it for my first gravel bike build. I'm not as worried about the looks so much for this build but also realize it would probably grab more attention wherever I go.
True it will be a conversation piece wherever you go. Anyway just my 2 cents
Old 09-04-2019, 04:50 PM

cool looking bike! Those forks throw me off - I cant figure out how the rake works on these things - they look crazy...
Old 09-17-2019, 05:56 PM

Lauf True Grit

Update on this bike:

I've got a bunch time on the Lauf and report that it continues to impress me.

In August I spent an incredible week riding gravel in the highlands of Iceland (more on that soon). The gravel was considerably more rugged than what I know from D2R2, Vermont, etc. There were lots of rocks, washboard, loose sand, sustained winds, steeps, etc. It was the right bike for the job with knobby 700x42 Rene Herse tires and dependable 1x gearing. The fork took the edge out of the worst of it for sure. The bike is stable and fast, gobbling rough terrain more comfortably than other gravel bikes I've ridden. It was even great at settling into a long effort of headwind.

In contrast, I recently did a 130 mile day in Vermont on paved roads with several mountain passes (gaps). I rode the Lauf because it takes a fat tire and it also has a better body position for me for a long hard day. On paper, this isn't an ideal road bike for climbing. However, it climbs like a goat for me...yes, it planes! The long geometry and funky fork descend with stability at high speed. With 700x35 Bon Jon Pass slicks, I felt that it was as efficient as any bike and really a joy for hammering out long miles.

I am riding this bike way more than I had expected to, often choosing the Lauf instead of the road bike...and occasionally instead of the mountain bike. It is really good.

As before, I don't really ever notice the fork doing much at any one time, but I do sense that rough terrain is smoother and long rides are less fatiguing. It leaves me questioning how this aspect of the fork would present for riders who are significantly heavier than me (150lbs) or significantly lighter. Hard to say, but I wonder.
It's worth noting that the frame of the bike is also a big part of what I like about the Lauf; it isn't just the oddball fork that makes it work well.

Instagram

Last edited by sparky33; 09-17-2019 at 06:31 PM.