Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Production Bikes

Old 06-10-2019, 02:05 PM

Lauf True Grit

Instagram

Last edited by sparky33; 06-10-2019 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:15 PM

Awesome Steve! What size did you go with? I took one if these for a little spin at D2R2 last year, but it was way too big.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
Awesome Steve! What size did you go with? I took one if these for a little spin at D2R2 last year, but it was way too big.

Size medium - 561/394 stack/reach.
The longer reach works well for me, but the geometry generally intends for a short stem.

Instagram

Last edited by sparky33; 06-10-2019 at 03:42 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:55 PM

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it after you get some miles on it. Looks like a really fun set up.

Old 06-10-2019, 03:21 PM

Will do.

This experiment is inspired by an upcoming trip to Iceland and by the Riding Gravel review. A couple days of riding it has me agreeing with what they've said about the fork etc effectively absorbing bumps and the bike feeling very quick. I do like it.

A few other niceties are that Lauf threw in a set of their new Smoothie handlebars of carbon & fiberglass - they do flex a bit as intended. The shape is unusually great with wide backswept flatted tops, flared shallow drops and long 'ramps'.
The internal In-N-Out cable routing made building it up relatively easy.
And threaded bb!

Instagram

Last edited by sparky33; 06-10-2019 at 03:41 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:04 PM

this hits the nail on the head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eBAUMANN View Post
spend 100mi+ on dirt roads and i think youll be thanking this fork for how RELATIVELY fresh you feel at the end of the day (vs a rigid fork).

i particularly like how active it ISNT on smooth terrain...i dont want it to suck away energy that im putting into forward movement or steering.

Instagram
Old 06-11-2019, 07:12 AM

very interesting stuff. you have sucha nice stable, i was wondering where this fit in? but i see it has some suspension for long gravel days.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:20 AM

Good reviews and it sounds like a racier geometry than most of the other gravel specific bikes these days. I thought it was a pretty well designed bike when I saw it in person and the price was quite reasonable as well. Your paint looks nicer than the color I saw at D2R2.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:22 AM

I rode with the founder of the company last year on a group ride at my LBS, super cool guy
Old 06-11-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
you have sucha nice stable, i was wondering where this fit in? but i see it has some suspension for long gravel days.
Thanks!
Exactly, just looking for another way around the accumulated beating I get from hours on rough gravel and various other stuff around here. Soft fat tires mitigate the situation considerably, but adding a little bit of suspension goes a big step further while staying in the realm of a quick drop bar bike. Conceptually, the LaufTG splits the difference between my 650b Firefly and my SC hardtail.

...I wish Cannondale would update the lefty Oliver to have a single crown like the current lefty Ocho - that would be another reasonable solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
Your paint looks nicer than the color I saw at D2R2.
This is Marrs Green, one of the special colors that popped up. It is more of a brilliant blue to my eye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpdan93 View Post
I rode with the founder of the company last year on a group ride at my LBS, super cool guy
The Lauf guys are good people in my experience. Óli answered all my questions and got everything all set for me.

Instagram
Old 06-11-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
This is Marrs Green, one of the special colors that popped up. It is more of a brilliant blue to my eye.
Unless I'm color blind, that is definitely blue... Lol. Nice color [and bike!] regardless.

Stupid question... instead of springing for a new bike, why not just put the Lauf fork on your Firefly?

And what trail are you riding there?
Old 06-11-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeladragon View Post
Unless I'm color blind, that is definitely blue... Lol. Nice color [and bike!] regardless.

Stupid question... instead of springing for a new bike, why not just put the Lauf fork on your Firefly?

And what trail are you riding there?
This trail is in Centennial Reservation, on the Oakland St side. There are a few nice trails in there that I sometimes pass through on my commute when I'm not in a hurry.

Firefly 831 is perfect the way it is. I ride it mostly on the road with 650x42 slicks, and the carbon Whisky RD+ fork is ideal for that. Also the Lauf fork has a sagged height of 409 and the Whisky fork is 383, so the Lauf fork would skew the geometry too much.

Instagram
Old 06-11-2019, 11:05 AM

Great looking bike Steve! I've been intrigued about this bike ever since they released it.

I've been considering adding that fork to my gravel setup to take the edge off like you mentioned. I'd be interested on your thoughts of the fork after putting some miles on it. Any idea what the largest tire the fork would clear on 700's?
Old 06-11-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooshi View Post
Great looking bike Steve! I've been intrigued about this bike ever since they released it.

I've been considering adding that fork to my gravel setup to take the edge off like you mentioned. I'd be interested on your thoughts of the fork after putting some miles on it. Any idea what the largest tire the fork would clear on 700's?
Good question.
The listed clearance for the Lauf True Grit is 700x45, and that seems about right for the rear of the bike. However, my tire WTB Resolute measuring 44mm has ~13 per side and 40mm overhead in the fork - tons of room. I would confidently run a 700x50 in this fork.

One might even get away with a 29x2.1 front for dry conditions, but I would caution against overstuffing the fork because it does need room to travel.

And let’s talk about 650b...
I couldn’t help fitting a 27.5x2.1 front and 27.5x2.0 rear. The 2.0 rear is too tight, 2mm on a side. A true 47 or 48 is probably the max there. 2.1 fits easily (13+mm on a side) in the fork...could maybe go a touch wider to 2.2ish and still allow safe travel. It’s also worth noting that 65mm of bb drop would play nicely with 650b diameter. I might have to experiment with it.

Instagram

Last edited by sparky33; 06-11-2019 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:11 AM

Snoqualmie LTG

the rear Snoq tire was, is still, a bear to get sealed, atypical according to my C'extralight (or RH'extralight) experience...localized weeping air&sealant that just won't stay plugged. My sleeve of tricks is frustrated. A freshly opened Orange Seal is what I'm going with now but still losing air over my 10 mile commute.
W.T.F.
Is this the price of suppleness?

Instagram

Last edited by sparky33; 06-14-2019 at 08:22 AM.