Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-04-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Northern Michigan. Petoskey, Traverse City, Boyne, Charlevoix, Lelenau Peninsula. Many beautiful areas up there. Plenty of hills, country roads. Lots of lakes and streams too. M22 is a popular road, not just for cycling. Great views of Lake Michigan. Check out the one way loop near Sleeping Bear Dunes too. It's beautiful all over northern Michigan.
I will second the Northern Michigan area, some really wonderful roads to ride and beautiful natural scenery to enjoy!
Old 08-04-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
Ha! Practicing responsible geotagging??
Protecting for the locals. Ever since the Radavist shot one of the honey holes in medium format.
Old 08-04-2019, 12:50 PM
slower than you

Ha, this book is still available as a Cooperstown resource:
Cranks from Cooperstown: 50 Bike Rides in Upstate New York https://www.amazon.com/dp/0966263812..._.JXrDbS3T0YK2
Pre internet and digital mapping, but, some awesome rides in the area. You could easily transfer the rides to your Garmin using Ride with GPS mapmaking. The roads may have changed a little, but, not much. CNY doesn't change much at all these days.

The American Hotel in Sharon Springs is a nice place to stay, but pricey. Good food.
Old 08-04-2019, 01:15 PM
Viva Chamucos

All of the recommendations in Italy are spot on. Another is the Verona area. Seemingly endless variety of rides all within a few minutes after leaving the old town through vineyards, villages, sparse traffic, good roads, etc etc etc.
Old 08-04-2019, 01:21 PM

Do any of the Cooperstown fans have any online sources for favorite rides? Map My Ride, etc.?
Thanks.
Old 08-04-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
Ha, this book is still available as a Cooperstown resource:
Cranks from Cooperstown: 50 Bike Rides in Upstate New York https://www.amazon.com/dp/0966263812..._.JXrDbS3T0YK2
Pre internet and digital mapping, but, some awesome rides in the area. You could easily transfer the rides to your Garmin using Ride with GPS mapmaking. The roads may have changed a little, but, not much. CNY doesn't change much at all these days.

The American Hotel in Sharon Springs is a nice place to stay, but pricey. Good food.
Thanks for the heads up. Obviously, judging from the price, a collectors item I had no idea Cooperstown was such a cycling Mecca ...
Old 08-04-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY rider View Post
Plug for the home team:
We really do have spectacular riding here. I’m happy to show it to you.
Any and all can come join us for a 3 day weekend in October.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=235003
Looks like a great crowd and beautiful scenery. I'll put it on the list with the Finger Lakes Fondo...
Old 08-04-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
THe WOD trail counts??
I think we've lowered the bar to the point where it's in the dirt.
Old 08-04-2019, 03:44 PM

I can't wait to get back to Massa Marittima in Tuscany with a bike. Amazing place. Mountains and ocean are nearby. Great food. Kind people. Amazing place.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:01 PM

I really enjoyed basing myself in Healdsburg for a week of riding a few years back. Lots of folks here helped with ride planning. We just got an air bnb. Great vineyards and restaurants in the area for after hours.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:35 PM

Wishing I'd been able to bring a bike on my family weekend away. I'm going to suggest Prince Edward County in Ontario. Roads are great. Not much traffic. Nice scenery. Good refineries. Pretty good restaurants.

I'd so suggest the maritime provinces.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:37 PM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Thanks for the heads up. Obviously, judging from the price, a collectors item I had no idea Cooperstown was such a cycling Mecca ...

Perfectly hilly farm country roads, most of which are paved and traffic free. NY is a rich state, and paves more than is necessary. Avoid summer: baseball, obviously, including camps, and soccer camps in Oneota. Fall is awesome. Not many places to eat and sleep, though, like most farm country.

If you look at a map of NY state, it's everything in the triangle formed by rhe thruway from Albany to Syracuse, I81 down to Binghampton, and then I88 back to Albany. Ithica is close.

Last edited by Mr. Pink; 08-04-2019 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:49 PM

Palatine Bridge, Town of Minden, Foot hills of the Adirondacks and Cooperstown NY are all great areas to ride with plenty of amish farms, country roads that are mixed with nice pavement to dirt and gravel. Plenty of rolling hills, beautiful scenery to take in and low traffic on a lot of the routes.

The only thing that sucks is that it has a shorter riding season than warmer climates. Highly recommend Dirtphalt for the dirt road enthusiasts and CNY rider puts on a great weekend of riding!

Sent from my LGL423DL using Tapatalk
Old 08-04-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
I will second the Northern Michigan area, some really wonderful roads to ride and beautiful natural scenery to enjoy!
Third vote for the Traverse City region
Old 08-04-2019, 08:11 PM
Meh

For mountain biking - the Mendocino coast area in NorCal - Jackson State Demonstration Forest and the Woodlands. Trailforks has some of the details but the best guide is Roo Harris's book which you can order from Roo via email or pick up locally at Catch a Canoe.

Padraig from RKP has some of the details in this post.

The area is gorgeous and worth spending several days to soak it all in, aside from the riding. There's also some good road riding if you can brave the traffic - this is one example..