Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-05-2019, 10:27 AM

Finding an Ottrott ... but what size?

So I've been wanting to track down an Ottrott for a while and am finally getting more serious about it, but am now running into sizing issues / questions.

When Roland Della Santa made a frame for me it was an incredibly informal fitting. Took a measurement ... maybe two ... watched me pedal on a bike I owned, and that was about it. Pretty sure I ended up with a 58 square and I've never had any issues with the fit since then, so bravo to simplicity.

Now that I'm looking into Ottrotts they all seem to have custom sizing and I'm wary to pull the trigger on something that isn't square. Recently thought I found the one but the seat tube was a 60 instead of my "usual" 58, which made me back off on that frame.

A friend had a pro bike fit done in town a few months back and was very happy with the results. I looked up the person and they have multiple certificates, including Serotta International Cycling Institute.

Would it make any sense whatsoever to see if that person could do a measurement on me and tell me back in the day what size Ottrott I would have had custom built by Serotta so I can know which direction I should be going in with a used purchase? Or any other advice on how best to handle purchasing frames that aren't square?
Old 08-05-2019, 10:47 AM
I need you cool.

what size is your current bike and do you like the fit?

Serotta made some funky bikes to fit their clients, but I would bet most are close to "regular" geometry.

Seat tube length doesn't really matter (unless you want a level top tube) since your seat post is adjustable....maybe focus on TT and HT length.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:51 AM

Still have the geometry chart Roland put together for you? Easiest solution is search for a bike in the ballpark of those numbers.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:24 AM

Trying to track down my original geometry chart right now ...

Quick measurements on my comfortably-fitting DS put me around 57.5 TT, 58 ST, 172mm HT, and 84.75 standover. Guessing an Ottrott at 58 TT, 60 ST, 191mm HT, and 85 standover is a little outside the comfort zone.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:26 AM

Since custom sizing was a no-cost option on high-end Serottas I don't think there were many "stock" bikes built in those models. I bought a stock 60cm. Legend ti that was built as a gift for an un-named important man in the cycling world. I bought it from a nice shop on Long Island that claimed to have sold several promotional gift bikes for the same man. I don't know who he was but the bike was wonderful.

It's possible that a seller of an Ottrot or other custom Serotta MIGHT have a copy of the original build sheet to help you decide if it would work for you. Failing that, the seller should be able to measure seat tube, top tube and chain stays which would let you know if the geos were very far from the norm.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:30 AM

Fierte IT

You may want to consider a Fierte IT which had stock geometry. I have a 58 that I need to ride or sell. I have seen many of these go for a good price so if you like the standard geo it may be a good way to go.

The geo charts are posted here and I believe there were 2 different types of geo. I have the long headtube "old guy" version.

Alan
Old 08-05-2019, 02:01 PM

I've got measurements for the Ottrott, but don't know the frames well enough to figure out whether jumping from a 58 to 60cm seat tube, and 172 to 191mm heat tube is madness. On paper doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

But I really like the look of this particular frame because the top tube appears pretty dang close to horizontal, which is my preferred aesthetic, and the rest of the finish is my style as well.

Freakin' internet .. opening up an infinite amount of rabbit holes to go down and all that.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:29 PM

When I found a frameset on eBay, I took the measurements to a local fitter. He dialed the dimensions into a Serotta size cycle to determine if it would fit me. It did, and I’ve been super happy with the bike.
If you had reliable measurements and a bit of time, this method may work for you.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:40 PM

Here’s the Fierte IT’s geometry chart, pretty close to the “standard” measurements found on Ottrott and Nove frames as well. Any Ottrott and Nove frameset will have been optimized for the original owner’s size/weight in terms of the carbon tubing’s stiffness. Definitely the fork; for that size it would probably be an 8.5 stiffness.

I have a 60cm Fierte IT and love its ride, but in terms of shape it does have a good deal of tt slope and a longer headtube (213mm on 60cm) so may or may not work well for you. It’s somewhere to start though. Good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3AE03B15-5D87-4D7E-9133-0FB89BDB42ED.jpg (50.8 KB, 134 views)
Old 08-05-2019, 02:41 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsieur Toast View Post
I've got measurements for the Ottrott, but don't know the frames well enough to figure out whether jumping from a 58 to 60cm seat tube, and 172 to 191mm heat tube is madness. On paper doesn't make a ton of sense to me.
is the DS a threadless 1 1/8" steerer? do you have spacers under the stem?
simplistically, riding the DS with 2cm spacers would be the same as the ottrott stem slammed.

of course with 2cm taller ST, now you stand over is almost an inch MORE, which could be problematic.

I would guess that most ottrotts have taller headtubes given the buyer demographic. worse case you could always use a -10d or -17d stem to lower the bars if needed. given normal HTA and STA I think the best move is to keep looking for a frame with a eTT close to what you like.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:45 PM

This one just popped-up

https://austin.craigslist.org/bik/d/...946590204.html

Close?
Old 08-05-2019, 05:48 PM

Wow, a ton of useful information here. Thanks everyone!

The standover of my DS is very similar to the Ottrott. Maybe 3mm difference now that I've measured again. DS is rocking 1" threaded, with minimal spacer, Nitto quill stem ... might actually work out, just have a lower stem.

So I made the call and am going to setup an appointment with a local fitter so I've got a better idea what I should be chasing on the internet. And once I find something I should be going through a fitter anyway as I'm recovering from knee surgery and have a terrible lower back. Might as well get as dialed in as possible ... if possible.

Thanks again everyone. Really appreciate all the insight.

(And just looking for F/F/HS right now. Ottrott or Legacy Ti only, but thanks for the links & charts!)