Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-14-2019, 10:31 PM

27.5 vs 29 for short rider

My kids are outgrowing their 14" 26er hardtails so I'm starting to look for something bigger. Both are about 5'2 at the moment, I'm 6'5 so likely they are doomed.
At current height would a 29er be an awkward fit with the small frame onto bigger wheels, or is 27.5/650b a better wheel size at this stage. They mostly ride single track and considering trying a race at some point, but nothing too serious besides getting out and enjoying riding... I'm the gear junkie planning the upgrades
I am also considering moving to a 29er for myself, so also thinking about "standardized" wheel size for bikes in the house. Currently we all have 26" mtn bikes while we tried the mtn bike team experiment to see if we enjoyed it... that seems to have been a success.

Seems like 29er is more popular around here for the trails we ride in central VA.

Last edited by cmbicycles; 10-04-2019 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:42 PM

Go 29, geo is dialed for height, better rollover, etc

27.5 is for the luddites. You're on the east coast and there are rocks and what not, 29 just works. Sounds like a NICA bike, both Trek and specialized have great pricing for that market if that's what you're doing
Old 08-14-2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post

27.5 is for the luddites. You're on the east coast and there are rocks and what not, 29 just works. Sounds like a NICA bike, both Trek and specialized have great pricing for that market if that's what you're doing
If 27.5" is for the luddites, where does that put 26"?
Old 08-14-2019, 11:45 PM
Resident Slacker

Quote:

How tall are you? I call uninformed bull***** on a real issue!!! I’ve owned multiple niners, and at 5’6” I can say that scrubbing your ass on the rear tire with the dropper down is unnerving. Hit a steep rock roll when the suspension compresses and you’re getting a quick wake up call. Salad tossing is scary!

I’ve switched to 27.5 and all is right in the world

None of this is an issue if they’re running hardtails though.

Size matters!
Old 08-15-2019, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudAwkning View Post
How tall are you? I call uninformed bull***** on a real issue!!! I’ve owned multiple niners, and at 5’6” I can say that scrubbing your ass on the rear tire with the dropper down is unnerving. Hit a steep rock roll when the suspension compresses and you’re getting a quick wake up call. Salad tossing is scary!

I’ve switched to 27.5 and all is right in the world

None of this is an issue if they’re running hardtails though.

Size matters!
where does that put me? 26+ hardtail :0
Old 08-15-2019, 06:30 AM

At the Smithsonian...next to Archie Bunkes chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
where does that put me? 26+ hardtail :0
Old 08-15-2019, 11:49 AM

Why not let your kids try both wheel sizes and see what they like? They'll probably eventually make it to 29" if they choose 27.5", but that's a couple frame sizes down the road.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:52 PM

Quote:
27.5 is for the luddites
I know this is a joke, but 27.5 is "newer" to the MTB scener than 29 is.

Anyways, 27.5 / 650b for shorter riders; for both MTB and road. Frames smaller than 53cm would be better served built around 650b.
Old 08-15-2019, 04:26 AM

Quote:

disagree w/this statement! I'm 5'9, weight 160 lbs and am currently on 27.5x28 and simply love the set up. trails in my area can ARE technical; rocky, rutty. I see no difference whatsoever in the handling and speed accept that I do have more control on the single track, tricky sections w/this set up. also, this set up was recommended to me based on my riding style and location from the good old folks at Moots!
Old 08-15-2019, 06:26 AM

Quite a difference between a 27.5 plus and a 27.5

27 Plus rollover is similar and you don't have to be as squared up when you hit stuff. Ran one for about 2 years and really liked it, gave up on it because of wheel weight and BB height in the copious amount of rocks where I ride. Felt like I hit everything

Mtb geo seems to change by the day, and the 29 seems to fit folks as short as 5 feet pretty well. Slack steering is in

Quote:
Originally Posted by laupsi View Post
disagree w/this statement! I'm 5'9, weight 160 lbs and am currently on 27.5x28 and simply love the set up. trails in my area can ARE technical; rocky, rutty. I see no difference whatsoever in the handling and speed accept that I do have more control on the single track, tricky sections w/this set up. also, this set up was recommended to me based on my riding style and location from the good old folks at Moots!

Last edited by peanutgallery; 08-15-2019 at 06:31 AM.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laupsi View Post
I had several opportunities to ride both the 2018 27.5 and the 29 TY USA CF PRO RACE, https://us.yt-industries.com/ both their high end trail bikes and both with the same tire setup. I prefer the longer travel 27.5. The longer travel with its lighter wheels feels move maneuverable, playful, roll over felt as good as the 29er.
Old 08-15-2019, 05:06 AM

Quote:

Agree, go with the 29. They won't outgrow it, and it does everything well.
Old 08-15-2019, 06:12 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post
My kids are outgrowing their 14" 26" wheeled hardtails and I'm starting to look for something bigger. 5'2 at the moment, I'm 6'5 so likely they are doomed.
At current height would a 29er be an awkward fit with the small frame onto bigger wheels, or is 27.5/650b a better wheel size at this stage. They mostly ride single track and considering trying a race at some point, but nothing too serious besides getting out and enjoying riding... I'm the gear junkie planning the upgrades
I am also considering moving to a 29er for myself, so also thinking about "standardized" wheel size for bikes in the house. Currently we all have 26" mtn bikes while we tried the mtn bike team experiment to see if we enjoyed it... that seems to have been a success.

I'm not into all the current mtn bike stuff so looking for opinions on wheel size. Seems like 29er is more popular around here for the trails we ride in central VA.
Have them ride each..rent them? 29er can be a BIG bike, particularly for smaller riders. PLUS plenty of taller people riding 27.5..Besides, 5foot2inches..how long before they get really tall? The next or next or NEXT greatest thing will have come along by then..
Old 08-15-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post
My kids are outgrowing their 14" 26" wheeled hardtails and I'm starting to look for something bigger. 5'2 at the moment, I'm 6'5 so likely they are doomed.
At current height would a 29er be an awkward fit with the small frame onto bigger wheels, or is 27.5/650b a better whrel size at this stage. They mostly ride single track and considering trying a race at some point, but nothing too serious besides getting out and enjoying riding... I'm the gear junkie planning the upgrades

I'm not into all the current mtn bike stuff so looking for opinions on wheel size. Seems like 29er is more popular around here for the trails we ride in central VA.
I would try and get them in a 29er that fits.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:39 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Politely,

29er, 27.5 is dead.