Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-09-2007, 10:58 PM

Expert opinions needed, commuter bike

So, I'm getting sick of lugging all my junk to work in my messenger bag. I am about to pull trigger on a commuter bike. I am thinking something more low key than my Vanilla road and fixed bikes. My current plan is to go with the newish Shimano Alfine group (8spd internal hub, disk brakes, and generator lights). Will probably use the Full Wood fenders and build a custom wooden crate for gear that will mount to a rear rack.

My commute is currently about 35 minutes which includes climbing from sea level to 750 ft. The return commute includes the obvious descent, but with some definitely twisty roads. It's really a fun commute.

My dilemma is which bars to use. I love my drop bars. MTB bars are OK. Obviously have them on my MTB. I am thinking of moustache style bars, but I am worried that they will not offer the best climbing positions. It seems as if the positions is different enough that I will not be able to easily switch back to drops without a frame redesign (not very easy), if I am unhappy with the moustaches.

Please offer comments on bar recommendations, or if you feel I am just being totally stupid going with the Alfine internal geared hub for this type of commuting. Should I just get a real road bike with derailleurs, fenders, and mount a seatpost rack on it?

Thanks,

Jon