Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 05-11-2019, 10:33 PM

Outfreakinstanding!

Every detail is perfect right down to the Phil hubs. Just awesome.

Congrats on a nailing such an amazing build..

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 05-11-2019, 11:50 PM

Yup! And nice pics too, those are super pro
Old 05-11-2019, 11:51 PM

That bike is on fire! Love the Phil hubs, too. Incredible craftsmanship.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:11 AM

Exceptional.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:47 AM

Great build, beautiful bike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2019, 09:29 AM

What is not to like. So on point. Enjoy!
Old 05-12-2019, 09:36 AM

That build looks fantastic! I almost went with 9100 on my JKS Special, but stuck with Record. Tempted to try the 9100 out in it's next iteration after seeing how good it looks on yours. Those Phil hubs are beautiful!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Outfreakinstanding!

Every detail is perfect right down to the Phil hubs. Just awesome.

Congrats on a nailing such an amazing build..
Thank you! Happy to earn the Clean39T Seal of Approval.

My last few builds have all had R45 or R45D hubs. I love Chris King, but wanted to do something different with this one. One big plus for me is the Phil Hubs and headset both are pretty understated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andeww View Post
Yup! And nice pics too, those are super pro
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
That build looks fantastic! I almost went with 9100 on my JKS Special, but stuck with Record. Tempted to try the 9100 out in it's next iteration after seeing how good it looks on yours. Those Phil hubs are beautiful!
Your JKS looks great as is with Record. I definitely spent a lot of time looking over your build and Clean39T's build during the wait for mine.
Old 05-12-2019, 04:54 PM

[QUOTE=Morgul Bismark;2539496]
Initially set up with a less aggressive handlebar drop than my other road bikes. The stem is a placeholder. I've been talking to Eric at Winter Bicycles about getting a custom stem built. Thus, the extra steerer tube.

Consider keeping the spacer stack at the subjectively recommended 2cm and merely shuffle spacers above and below the stem as needed. A 1cm spacer above the stem no longer looks odd. It's the one thing I regret not doing when I got my frame with a threadless fork, the flexibility of changing stem height. I had a custom TIG welded stem built by Paul Sadoff at Rock Lobster; welds so smooth they disappear. Too bad Dave Kirk doesn't offer fillet brazed or lugged stems to match his frames. I'm sure he has the talent to do so.

I love that there is this much clearance with standard size calipers.

Having brakes arranged this way you have maximum tire width choice. You would think more frame builders would build this way, but they don't. There are no downsides. I get why carbon forks can't provide the clearances, but check out many custom builders and you'll see mid-slot brake pads probably because it leaves plenty of margin for error during construction.

The bike looks great but there's one thing it needs: MY @55 on the saddle!
Old 05-12-2019, 05:05 PM

First ride and the major impression I'm left with is this the way the frame has an overall sense of composure. Love the way everything came out with the frame, the color, and the build. Just wonderful.

Old 05-12-2019, 08:32 PM

That's another beautiful frameset/build added to your bikes. It's composed and red hot at the same time!
Old 05-12-2019, 08:40 PM

Such a beautiful looking bike.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
Consider keeping the spacer stack at the subjectively recommended 2cm and merely shuffle spacers above and below the stem as needed. A 1cm spacer above the stem no longer looks odd. It's the one thing I regret not doing when I got my frame with a threadless fork, the flexibility of changing stem height. I had a custom TIG welded stem built by Paul Sadoff at Rock Lobster; welds so smooth they disappear. Too bad Dave Kirk doesn't offer fillet brazed or lugged stems to match his frames. I'm sure he has the talent to do so.
I've been considering keeping extra spacers since back in January. Part of my original plan was to keep the for flexible for the future. I know my Cielo is lower than what I want to be riding a few years from now. That bike has been great to me, but as I contemplate the future, having a large handlebar drop isn't something I want. My plan here is to preserve options for the future.

And I totally agree, I would have gladly purchased a stem from David Kirk if he offered it as an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
Having brakes arranged this way you have maximum tire width choice. You would think more frame builders would build this way, but they don't. There are no downsides. I get why carbon forks can't provide the clearances, but check out many custom builders and you'll see mid-slot brake pads probably because it leaves plenty of margin for error during construction.
It's one of those small details you don't realize has been missing until you see someone do it right. Then it makes you ask, why would you build a frame at the middle of the caliper position for any reason other than lack of process control. Clearly David Kirk doesn't have that problem. He nailed the position of the calipers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jad View Post
That's another beautiful frameset/build added to your bikes. It's composed and red hot at the same time!
Thanks! During the ride today I was actually running over the +/- of my Cielo and B-Road. One of those bikes is probably up for sale soon. I wasn't expecting to be considering that possibility, but it's pretty clear I don't need three road bikes (or roadish in the case of the B-road).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim hessian View Post
Such a beautiful looking bike.
Thank you!
Old 05-12-2019, 09:53 PM

pure class! enjoy the ride...

jim d
Old 05-13-2019, 06:10 AM

fantastic