Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-18-2020, 10:58 PM

Sciatica anyone?

I’m getting a referral but in the interim thought I’d check the brain trust here. Picked up some mild sciatica a couple months ago. Intensity went up and down with no real pattern. Pretty much just in the hamstring and glute. Sometimes riding made it better, other times worse. Stretching, Advil, etc have done bupkis. Foam roller occasionally helps a bit, but it’s spotty. Then out of nowhere it became unbearable this week. Woke up Tuesday and my entire leg (down to my foot) was on fire. Now I can’t sit down for dinner and i took over my wife’s standing desk for work. Seems like treatment is sort of along the lines I’ve been following, but anyone been through it and have suggestions that perhaps I’ve not come across? This is awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2020, 01:31 AM
You still here?

Sciatica problems originate in the back. Core strengthening helps a lot.

I’ve been seeing my chiropractor, who is also a cyclist, weekly for sciatica and he has nearly eliminated my issues.
Old 09-19-2020, 01:41 AM

Rest and manipulation worked for me. I had TENS treatment with hot and cold treatments as well three times a week.,
I was told NOT to exercise for three months but after a month I was pain free and the PT let me get back on a bike and two months later I was playing rugby again. Never had it since.
Old 09-19-2020, 01:46 AM

Sleeping with a pillow between your knees (if you sleep on your side) reduces tension on the nerve(s) -- also, just casual walking (daily) is very helpful for longterm recovery
Old 09-19-2020, 04:52 AM

I've had my fair share of lower lumbar problems
Stenosis is a mean equalizer

Best PT excersise I know for lumbar decompression is to get a yoga ball, mine is gaiam 75 cms blue yoga ball,

I lay across it laying stomach down, prone position, and I gently roll back and forth I try to get my legs to dangle off the back of ball and i let gravity decompress and stretch the lower back
Also I when I roll back and forth the curvature of the ball will decompress your lower back and open your nerve channel
Don't be surprised to feel and hear your back pop

YouTube brad and bob they are good PT's
Bob and brad show this excersise off of the edge of a bed with a pillow underneath their stomach

I use the yoga ball it's more professional and it gives you a better sense of zero gravity

Good luck
Old 09-19-2020, 05:03 AM

Sciatica symptoms can originate from the spine or somewhere else "downstream" from where the nerve(s) exit the spinal column. Best to get some professional medical evaluation to find the likely cause and to direct an appropriate treatment. I hope it gets better soon.
Old 09-19-2020, 05:19 AM

I developed sciatica years ago, and an MRI found a bulging disc in my lower spine that was pushing into the nerve. I had two separate steroidal epidurals about a year apart. I did some PT which helped, but it’s been long enough I don’t remember any of the specific exercises.

I occasionally get pain and discomfort in my feet between my toes - right at the spot where the sciatic nerve ends. I describe it as feeling as if a pencil is pushed into my foot right between my toes. I figured out that one ongoing cause was the thick wallet I used to carry in my rear pocket. I converted to a thin front pocket wallet and that reduced the issue about 90%.
Old 09-19-2020, 05:29 AM

I dealt with sciatica for a number of years back in the 90s. It eventually got to the point where I was almost bed ridden. I had a partial discectomy, L5/S1, in 1999. It was ok until I blew out the disc again in 2002, a sneeze that snuck up on me. I had the same surgery again and not much disc was left. That was really a stop gap measure to get me to a disc replacement, clinical trial stage at the time, without having to be randomly selected for either replacement or fusion. I the replacement surgery done in 2004 and I have done very well with it. Not many people had the good long term results that I had. That procedure is no longer done at that level of the spine.
Old 09-19-2020, 06:05 AM

I had it after a kidney stone removal.

PT worked. Acupuncture with excercises.

Excercises included wobble board, yoga ball leg lifts, planking, sitting on ball, leg lifts off the ball, donkey kicks.

Chiropractic did nothing and I actually think may have exacerbated it due to being too aggressive.
Old 09-19-2020, 06:58 AM

If it is getting worse with conservative treatment (PT, 7 day anti-inflammatory, perhaps Chiro but be REAL careful who to go to) understand what is truly happening in there. Xray, MRI etc. I had spondylothesis, which the only solution was fusion. Couldn't walk more than 100ft. Fortunately I was already connected to one of the top neurosurgeons in Boston.
Old 09-19-2020, 07:10 AM

Finding a good PT and making it clear that the goal is to get back to active lifestyle is key. At this point your nerve is probably on fire and ultra sensitive and a chiropractor manipulations may be too agressive and counter productive, but osteopaths usually go softer and have a more holistic approach. Walking is also great to strengthen core and posture muscles without going to hard. Good luck!
Old 09-19-2020, 07:41 AM

My back is not symmetrical with regard to my sciatic nerves. They don't route the same past my piriformis which makes the left side more prone to sciatica. Five years ago I had a microdiscectomy to trim a bulged disc that was pushing on the nerve because I had gotten to the point I was dragging my left leg. The feeling was best described as feeling like I was wading through waist-deep water but only with my left leg. The surgery was successful in that I regained full strength in my left leg and was able to cycle again. I still get sciatica on occassion, but I have a foam roller and do some piriformis stretching that seems to fix it.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:47 AM

I started having back issues while cycling in 2014. I have (had) a bulging disc at L5/S1. Over time, I learned several things that I did on the bike that caused the problem:
  1. Stretching my back by standing and letting it sag and then pedaling while it was sagged caused torsion on the spine right on the nerve. This was a "lightning bolt, ride over" kind of pain. Solution: don't pedal while stretching my back.
  2. Pulling really hard on the bars while climbing/sprinting. Solution: don't do that.
  3. Gradual tightning of the lower back muscles which compressed the vertebrae on the disc. No solution but core strengthening helped.
But I was "lucky" that my pain was centralized in my back and I didn't have any sciatic involvement. It would usually resolve itself in a few weeks.

Until June 8th. I won't go through the details but I herniated the L5/S1 resulting in a week of the most agonizing pain I've experienced in my life (and believe me, I've had other quite painful things happen). MRI showed "herniation with associated trauma". I waited almost three months hoping it would resolve itself. It got "better" but when the surgeon asked me "if this is as good as it gets, is that good enough?" the answer was an emphatic "no". The possibility of permanent nerve damage if I didn't have something done also entered into the decision.

I had a microdiscectomy in late August which according to the surgeon went well. I'm three weeks post surgery. I still have sciatic symptoms but this is apparently common as they do a fair amount of tugging on the nerve during the surgery.

Jury still out on whether or not it was worth it.

No idea yet as to what the future holds vis-a-vis cycling (no more long rides? recumbent? done for good?).

Good luck. Back pain sucks.
Old 09-19-2020, 09:04 AM

Sorry to hear, fastforaslowguy. Same road here. Been off the bike mainly since March, but the problem is more than a year old. Series of three recent fluoroscopically guided dexamethasone injections (L4/L5 and L5/S1) which did help (two weeks apart) but not good enough to get back on the bike pain-free. MRI shows stuff that needs to be trimmed to unload the nerve root. Have date with surgeon. You have great options in Boston, so I'm sure you can find a top doc, if you go that route. I found PT and chiropractic to be palliative but not curative. As other said, core strength--deep layer, not sit-up muscles -- does help.
Old 09-19-2020, 09:22 AM

pm me for Dr name(s) if you wish. Good to get into seeing someone now, then the "if" times comes, you are established patient. After my debilitating time in 2015, scans were done and mailed to my surgeon, never saw him till morning of my surgery. I probably will be seeing him again for a microdisectomy after my last second fusion wasn't complete (done via XLIF which is much shorter but they can't get all the disk material out from what I hear) this was done by a second surgeon.

I am riding every day, just not long/hard rides any longer and we live in the flats of RI. Actually have had best year (after last years surgery) since 2014 mileage wise.