Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-12-2020, 09:22 PM

It all depends on what you're doing.

If you have a task that can be contained as a "black box" with little input from others, it can be done very effectively remotely or locally, it doesn't matter.

But tasks that require coordinated, problem solving teamwork suffer greatly without the constant, conversational exchange of information that takes place with face to face contact. In such cases it is important to ensure the team members are not just in the same building, but seated next to each other.

The process is fluid. One can keep one's employees together in the office at the beginning of a problem solving task, as they "figure out what they'll be doing." Once everyone knows what they're doing, they can stay home and proceed to do it, typically at peak efficiency.

Last edited by dgauthier; 08-13-2020 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:26 PM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgauthier View Post
It all depends on what you're doing.

If you have a task that can be contained it a "black box" with little input from others, it can be done very effectively remotely or locally, it doesn't matter.

But tasks that require coordinated, problem solving teamwork suffer greatly without the constant, conversational exchange of information that takes place with face to face contact. In such cases it is important to ensure the team members are not just in the same building, but seated next to each other.

The process is fluid. One can keep one's employees together in the office at the beginning of a problem solving task, as they "figure out what they'll be doing." Once everyone knows what they're doing, they can stay home and proceed to do it, typically at peak efficiency.
Agree. I believe we’re going to see the pendulum swing a bit far the other way, and many benefits of in-person work for some roles (such as better work being done through collaboration, and less re-doing of work first done in silos) will not be missed until a lot of in-person spaces are dismantled. Then, there will be some level of return to in-person work. A boon for consultants, probably.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
The new HQ was going to be in Bellevue....not Seattle....very different kind of place, separated by a lake.

They are embracing the remote working....I expect this to continue with other companies.
If indeed the future is remote working, there well could be thousands of office buildings going vacant and potentially eventually foreclosed. Let’s hope they can be repurposed into new, positive, and sustainable uses.

I suggest grants to support bicycle co-ops! Community run bike shop on every corner!
Old 08-12-2020, 11:39 PM

And if the future is work-from-home, there is going to be another wave of outsourcing to foreign countries... I lived through a wave of outsourcing, not a fan.
Old 08-13-2020, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds108 View Post
And if the future is work-from-home, there is going to be another wave of outsourcing to foreign countries... I lived through a wave of outsourcing, not a fan.
I have to agree with this. The efficiency gains are largely illusionary being built on previous established personal relationships between employees. It is like a company being acquired and then slashing all R&D/investing in the future and turbo charging short term profits only to run out of steam down the line.

I think you lose the ability to mentor new employees and keep any kind of culture. Hence you are sunsetting your company with its current employees and the relationships/efficiency leave when they do.
Old 08-13-2020, 05:45 AM

Zoom, Teams, etc can facilitate some types of teamwork models well-those that require a lot of screensharing, for example, but are maybe not as good with others. How do the "agile", "scrum", etc. work models play out? Many businesses rely heavily on these models. Perhaps expanded capabilities with Zoom, etc., or even capabilities that have not been fully exploited. In any case I would agree that times they are a' changin.

Sort of related-Unity College up the road from me is selling their physical campus.
Old 08-13-2020, 05:52 AM

In my, large high tech mature company, president said he doesn't see facility blueprint to continue, may drop 30 to 50 percent. Facility managers are working on plans to build team centers, where people will pop in, do you collaboration, then back home. You won't have a desk.

Term "outsourcing" is for task to leave the company. Perhaps - that has heavily happened especially in IT. What will be the norm (actually already) is more hiring to low cost countries so your buddy sitting next to you is now in Costa Rica. For me it is fun, I love working with other cultures. From US perspective, it challenges universities to bring in unique people that can make a greater impact from that low cost. I am here because my direct work with US Govt on trade matters. USG doesn't want a Mexican or Indian contacting them ( US State, Commerce or Treasury)
Old 08-13-2020, 06:11 AM

I guess they'll have to change the name of the college to Dispersed

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
Zoom, Teams, etc can facilitate some types of teamwork models well-those that require a lot of screensharing, for example, but are maybe not as good with others. How do the "agile", "scrum", etc. work models play out? Many businesses rely heavily on these models. Perhaps expanded capabilities with Zoom, etc., or even capabilities that have not been fully exploited. In any case I would agree that times they are a' changin.

Sort of related-Unity College up the road from me is selling their physical campus.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:46 AM

Apart from the perception that REI is selling their new HQ because experience with remote work...how does REI compare in the realm of e-commerce?

I always enjoyed going into their stores and check out the goods, especially the beautiful brand new store they just completed in Chicago.

But I haven't set foot in my local REI since earlier in the year but I have no plans to walk into one.

I need groceries so I'll go to the grocery store but there's nothing I really need from my REI store that I can't buy online and have shipped to me. But you know, I usually find what I want for less than REI offers.

Is the WSJ article a harbinger of bad news for REI?
Old 08-13-2020, 10:11 AM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygunner View Post
Apart from the perception that REI is selling their new HQ because experience with remote work...how does REI compare in the realm of e-commerce?
I've always like the REI eCommerce...they ship for free to a store, and I have one about 2 mins from my house.

Pick up there, try on, doesn't fit, exchange right there....one stop.

The location also has a Trader Joe's in it, so that is convenient too.....
Old 08-13-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticaldoug View Post
I have to agree with this. The efficiency gains are largely illusionary being built on previous established personal relationships between employees. It is like a company being acquired and then slashing all R&D/investing in the future and turbo charging short term profits only to run out of steam down the line.

I think you lose the ability to mentor new employees and keep any kind of culture. Hence you are sunsetting your company with its current employees and the relationships/efficiency leave when they do.
Agree 100% with this. For my team, it's one thing to maintain the status quo when everyone knows how to do their job and knows others and the organization. The process of hiring, training, supervising and mentoring new employees is a much bigger challenge.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
If indeed the future is remote working, there well could be thousands of office buildings going vacant and potentially eventually foreclosed. Let’s hope they can be repurposed into new, positive, and sustainable uses.
Acres of empty parking lots
Avg mileage/year on a car will be 5k rather than 12K
Fewer cars sold=fewer car dealerships
Less oil fracked/pumped = fewer gas stations
Fewer insurance claims = fewer agents/adjusters
Increase online shopping = fewer malls and retail locations

The change on land use is seismic.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:24 AM
quadropheniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
Avg mileage/year on a car will be 5k rather than 12K
Fewer cars sold=fewer car dealerships
Fewer insurance claims = fewer agents/adjusters
Equates to fewer personal injury attorneys but you wouldn’t know it based on the number of highway billboards that I recently saw driving through NC and SC.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
Increase online shopping = fewer malls and retail locations

The change on land use is seismic.
And did you see the article about Amazon being in talks with the largest mall owner with the goal of turning empty former Sears and Penneys locations into distribution centers...
Old 08-13-2020, 01:35 PM

My employer has an almost new corporate headquarters that has sat empty since the pandemic. Somehow all the manufacturing plants kept going with some engineering and enforcement of PPE. All my counterparts from corporate are working from home and at this point, provide no value. There has been discussions of making one plant the lead and spreading all the corporate folks out to the individual plants. The concept of corporate headquarters is dated.