Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-22-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonster View Post
My favorite story there is the time a Salzburg defender wore a Leipzig jersey in a CL qual game, and nobody noticed until the post-match interviews.

I suppose Nike shipped it with his name and number, but the two clubs' jerseys were identical in every way, except for the text in the crest badge.

that's amazing; certainly got a chuckle out of me

and i think the context to all this is that UEFA once upon a time didn't allow two teams owned by the same entity to compete in the same competition (so okay for one in Champions League and one in Europa, but not simultaneously in both)

then UEFA managed to bend over backwards better than contortionist and allowed both to compete in the same competition. Wonder how much Red Bull greased its wheels...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post
Austria? That's kangaroos with skiboots, correct?

(Linz may well qualify too, then they have two teams in the CL)
surely you remember the nation whose national team schemed with your national team in the Anschluss of Gijon?

Quote:
Yes, and also where German composers go to advance their careers, eat better food, and terrorize landlords.
i'm a bit spotty with my music history, which composer(s) is this?

Last edited by echappist; 08-22-2019 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:12 AM
Cranky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
i'm a bit spotty with my music history, which composer(s) is this?
Beethoven
Old 08-22-2019, 02:04 PM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Yes, and also where German composers go to advance their careers, eat better food, and terrorize landlords.
We always send them our best and brightest, what do we get in return? bad painters.
Old 08-24-2019, 12:48 PM

That David Luiz, such a courteous gentleman. He thought he should extend the courtesies he showed Son last year to Salah. Fair play to the lad
Old 08-24-2019, 01:39 PM
needs adult supervision

As the commentators said, they folded like a cheap suit. New uniforms but some hollow cavity where their heart and fight are supposed to be. When the Gunners go down 1-0, they might as well walk off the pitch.
Old 08-24-2019, 04:09 PM

New additions to Parthenope

@wc1934, you excited about the arrival of Chucky Lozanon?
Old 08-24-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
@wc1934, you excited about the arrival of Chucky Lozanon?
Definitely!!
He is 24 and they have him for 5 years. A great signing - James Rodriguez, who? Mauro, who?
One can never have enough scoring (look at today's game against the Viola-And talk about VAR - ugh)!
He is used to playing on the left and then cuts right to strike with his stronger foot. Will he play behind Insigne on the left or will they move him to the right?
Hope he plays next week against Sarri and CR7.
Old 08-24-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
Definitely!!
He is 24 and they have him for 5 years. A great signing - James Rodriguez, who? Mauro, who?
One can never have enough scoring (look at today's game against the Viola-And talk about VAR - ugh)!
He is used to playing on the left and then cuts right to strike with his stronger foot. Will he play behind Insigne on the left or will they move him to the right?
Hope he plays next week against Sarri and CR7.
that VAR-decided penalty for Viola was utter s***e. So close to the armpit, accidental, etc etc. You must have had a helluva time watch it; that was a nail-biter of a game. I'd be knackered watching it if i weren't a neutral

Didn't realize we'd have a 6-pointer at the top so early. Perhaps we'll get three teams jousting for the scudetto this year. Something tells me that Conte may just be a bit too shrewd for Sarri. Not sure about relative strength against Ancelotti though
Old 08-24-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
that VAR-decided penalty for Viola was utter s***e. So close to the armpit, accidental, etc etc. You must have had a helluva time watch it; that was a nail-biter of a game. I'd be knackered watching it if i weren't a neutral

Didn't realize we'd have a 6-pointer at the top so early. Perhaps we'll get three teams jousting for the scudetto this year. Something tells me that Conte may just be a bit too shrewd for Sarri. Not sure about relative strength against Ancelotti though
Ref and VAR had a terrible game. The rule states that a handball must be a deliberate handling of the ball. Zielinski had his arm out fighting off the defender behind him. The ball was kneed up and under his arm. VAR confirmed.

2 other major occasions where the Ref didnt consult VAR: Mertens trip which resulted in a PK, and at the very end of the game Ribery was pulled down inside the box. Both major assists to Napoli so I am very happy, but clearly the lack of consistency will become a problem.

The Viola's new owner (Columbia grad) was at the game. Their new shirts have his cable company's name on the front - I liked the old Save the Children kit.
Old 08-24-2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
Ref and VAR had a terrible game. The rule states that a handball must be a deliberate handling of the ball. Zielinski had his arm out fighting off the defender behind him. The ball was kneed up and under his arm. VAR confirmed.

2 other major occasions where the Ref didnt consult VAR: Mertens trip which resulted in a PK, and at the very end of the game Ribery was pulled down inside the box. Both major assists to Napoli so I am very happy, but clearly the lack of consistency will become a problem.
one should always be happy when one of the master of the dark arts get his comeuppance.

Quote:
The Viola's new owner (Columbia grad) was at the game. Their new shirts have his cable company's name on the front - I liked the old Save the Children kit.
i didn't know about this. Thanks for the info

-----------------------------------------------------------

btw, i've taken an interest in Union Berlin, who went up to the Bundesliga by scoring more away goals than the 16th place Bundesliga team

its fans literally paid with blood (money obtained by giving blood, donated to the club) and sweat (work to renovate the stadium) to keep the club alive and solvent. Quite a remarkable story in the age of soulless plastic clubs such as PSG and Sheiky.

Article here for those who prefer to read

and here for a well-produced short video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53rVbJwMhYI
Old 08-25-2019, 09:51 AM
needs adult supervision

Thanks for the video link. FC Union is a really cool, and winding, story. Glad a club like that can survive.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
one should always be happy when one of the master of the dark arts get his comeuppance.

i didn't know about this. Thanks for the info

-----------------------------------------------------------

btw, i've taken an interest in Union Berlin, who went up to the Bundesliga by scoring more away goals than the 16th place Bundesliga team

its fans literally paid with blood (money obtained by giving blood, donated to the club) and sweat (work to renovate the stadium) to keep the club alive and solvent. Quite a remarkable story in the age of soulless plastic clubs such as PSG and Sheiky.

Article here for those who prefer to read

and here for a well-produced short video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53rVbJwMhYI
Yeah he was born in southern Italy (wonder if he was a Napoli or Palermo or Messina fan as a kid - bet definitely not a Viloa fan - haha). Went to Columbia - donated - and got the soccer complex named after him. Part owner of the Cosmos. Tried to purchase AC Milan but it fell thru. Pretty interesting guy who seems fully committed to the game.

The Union link was interesting - love the history!
Old 08-25-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
Thanks for the video link. FC Union is a really cool, and winding, story. Glad a club like that can survive.
you are welcome

btw, you psyched about the derby next weekend? unlike the Gunners, whose game yesterday had bright points (Luiz clowning aside), I can't say there's anything positive from the way Spurs played relegation contenders Newcastle today. Just awful...
Old 08-25-2019, 06:21 PM
needs adult supervision

Quote:
you are welcome

btw, you psyched about the derby next weekend? unlike the Gunners, whose game yesterday had bright points (Luiz clowning aside), I can't say there's anything positive from the way Spurs played relegation contenders Newcastle today. Just awful...
Well, I hope Spurs keep their level of play we’re it was today. Though the Gunners will probably play down to it. Arsenal has talent but it hasn’t yet added up to something remarkable. As has been Arsenal’s way the last decade, they seem to think that stringing together passes is somehow a victory in itself. Teams like LIV and MC make fewer passes with purpose count more.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:58 AM

Champions league:

Pot one: Barcelona, Manchester City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Bayern Munich, Juventus, Paris Saint-Germain, Zenit

Pot two: Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Napoli, Tottenham, Shakhtar Donetsk, Ajax, Benfica

Pot three: Lyon, Bayer Leverkusen, Salzburg, Olympiacos, Club Brugge, Dinamo Zagreb, Inter, Valencia

Pot four: Lokomotiv Moscow, Genk, Red Star Belgrade, RB Leipzig, Lille, Atalanta, Slavia Prague, Galatasaray