Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-14-2020, 08:57 PM

it would for sure shift alot better with the suntour and simplex
Old 08-14-2020, 09:07 PM

Well done, it looks great! The new owner will love it!
Old 08-14-2020, 11:03 PM

Wow that is just amazing! Incredible effort and even more incredible result. You have me thinking that I need to try to learn how do this - seeing what the before looked like and the beautiful final result.

This one was of the bikes I would always drool over at my local shop when I was younger.
Old 08-15-2020, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles M View Post
I review bikes and do projects... I don't really know where I sell them, typically it's just local friends
Looks like I need to move back to AZ.
Old 08-15-2020, 11:18 AM
PezTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
Wow. Just wow.

So, so beautiful. Forks and stays look... semichrome? I'm a sucker for chrome.

Wow. More beautiful than Sophia Loren.

Did I say "Wow" yet?
This is all straight metal polishing, no Chrome.

And I think young Sophia is better... but this wins because taking a Dremel and polishing pads to Sophia would not have brought her back to this condition
Old 08-15-2020, 11:27 AM
PezTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJ View Post
Wow that is just amazing! Incredible effort and even more incredible result. You have me thinking that I need to try to learn how do this - seeing what the before looked like and the beautiful final result.

This one was of the bikes I would always drool over at my local shop when I was younger.

For these Alan produced models (Guerciotti, Alan, Vitus, Rossin and I think a model from Japan Nagasawa?) with Alu Lugs, You can get this finish by hand with a course towel and a soft towel and some mothers polish...

For the parts (and if there are scrapes and scratches) you need Dremel and some polishing pads... Amazon is your friend... You can do nearly all of this with These three things (and a dremel and some mothers)

Rouge Sticks

POLISHING BITS

Buffing heads

If you have deep nasty scratches or want to remove the dull anodising you can use the sanding heads in course-medium-fine...

The rest is just having a few tools on hand...
Old 08-15-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
For these Alan produced models (Guerciotti, Alan, Vitus, Rossin and I think a model from Japan Nagasawa?) with Alu Lugs, You can get this finish by hand with a course towel and a soft towel and some mothers polish...

For the parts (and if there are scrapes and scratches) you need Dremel and some polishing pads... Amazon is your friend... You can do nearly all of this with These three things (and a dremel and some mothers)

Rouge Sticks

POLISHING BITS

Buffing heads

If you have deep nasty scratches or want to remove the dull anodising you can use the sanding heads in course-medium-fine...

The rest is just having a few tools on hand...

Excellent!! Thank you very much Charles. I was hoping for a starting point or primer. Will of course check out YouTube etc. Always enjoy the Pez Cycling site and feeds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-15-2020, 12:31 PM

Very well done!!! Looks great.
Old 08-15-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
Wow. Just wow.

So, so beautiful. Forks and stays look... semichrome? I'm a sucker for chrome.

Wow. More beautiful than Sophia Loren.

Did I say "Wow" yet?
OK, OK. I get the critique. But what if Sophia was riding that bike? At any age?
Old 08-15-2020, 02:43 PM

It was a nice touch to hand rake the gravel too in the first few pics

It is indeed fun when old machinery (bikes, cars, cameras...) clean up so beautifully. Thanks for sharing it.
Old 08-15-2020, 03:07 PM

Beautiful bike! I've always liked Guerciotti, mostly the steel version, ever since I worked in a shop in the mid 70s and built up a few for friends. My favorite was an orange frameset with a little metallic in the paint. The bike I built for myself was a '76 Alan Super Record which I still have. I cleaned it up a couple of years ago. This is where anodized aluminum can be a bit better than steel as it cleaned up almost like new. I took it completely apart including all the components though I only hand polished the frame. I even cleaned up the original tubular wheels that had glue that had been drying for about 25 years. I think the pictures have the clincher wheelset which are Ambrosio Excellence. I have, of course, the original pedals - also NR w/Christophe & Binda.

A couple photos here: https://forums.thepaceline.net/showp...&postcount=622

And here: https://forums.thepaceline.net/showp...&postcount=625
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0918.jpg (60.5 KB, 91 views)
Old 08-15-2020, 05:37 PM
PezTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpoke View Post
Beautiful bike! I've always liked Guerciotti, mostly the steel version, ever since I worked in a shop in the mid 70s and built up a few for friends. My favorite was an orange frameset with a little metallic in the paint. The bike I built for myself was a '76 Alan Super Record which I still have. I cleaned it up a couple of years ago. This is where anodized aluminum can be a bit better than steel as it cleaned up almost like new. I took it completely apart including all the components though I only hand polished the frame. I even cleaned up the original tubular wheels that had glue that had been drying for about 25 years. I think the pictures have the clincher wheelset which are Ambrosio Excellence. I have, of course, the original pedals - also NR w/Christophe & Binda.

A couple photos here: https://forums.thepaceline.net/showp...&postcount=622

And here: https://forums.thepaceline.net/showp...&postcount=625
Bingo... The whole line of Alan produced Alu Lugged bikes is easy to restore...

The trick is the shop needed to rube the head lug a bit as that fitment was tight and a LOT of these bikes are dead from cracked lugs because the tolerance was too tight.
Old 08-15-2020, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Bingo... The whole line of Alan produced Alu Lugged bikes is easy to restore...

The trick is the shop needed to rube the head lug a bit as that fitment was tight and a LOT of these bikes are dead from cracked lugs because the tolerance was too tight.
I guess that you mean the cups being pressed into the frame?

I've seen enough aluminum and AlAn frames with split lug(s) and/or headtube, likely an ounce of prevention is worth a ton of cure.

I still remember my first ride on the red Guerciotti Sprint with the Victory-style crankarms, I crossed through a rough intersection and immediately thought that I must have had a flat tire. Nope.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:23 PM
PezTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
I guess that you mean the cups being pressed into the frame?

I've seen enough aluminum and AlAn frames with split lug(s) and/or headtube, likely an ounce of prevention is worth a ton of cure.

I still remember my first ride on the red Guerciotti Sprint with the Victory-style crankarms, I crossed through a rough intersection and immediately thought that I must have had a flat tire. Nope.
Yessir. Some very good shops reamed the head tube lugs to make room for pressing the headset and those bikes are still rolling.

This was just a local shop her in AZ (I may actually know the guy that sold and bought this originally) but they knew their stuff. That said, a friend of mine has this identical bike, but it also has that cracked head-lug.

This one has miles on it. It was well used, but also very well cared for. When I got it, it was dirty and aged, but otherwise FANTASTIC...

It just took a little rubbing... (New chain, NOS Campagnolo original cable housings, new Hoods, New toe straps, new saddle and tape) The rest is all original.... Just polished. (My favorite are the josckey wheels going back to white )

Last edited by Charles M; 08-16-2020 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:47 PM

Were these Alan frames with small diameter tubes noodles under power? AL has about 1/3 the modulus of steel; to optimize its properties the diameter should be larger.