Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 06-19-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdntrxi View Post
it's all a compromise.. my gravel bike has a BB drop of 70 (which is probably low as I go) change your BB drop and it will effect everything else if you keep angles the same. I think anything from 70-80 is pretty "normal"..70 might be pushing into more cross geo which is my preference.
Geo is fascinating. I'm far from an expert. Here's the geo for my gravel bike. Based on my highly untrained eye, I would say that Joosttx's bike is meant to handle chunkier terrain (no surprise given his proximity to Tam) that his bike handling skills might be better than mine (see previous) or that his body geometry might be markedly different, even though we're roughly the same height. I doubt I would fit his bike given the amount of stand over.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg InkedJB Alliance Final CAD_LI.jpg (62.7 KB, 506 views)
Old 06-23-2020, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Just saw the geo from the build. Interesting. I'm curious about the BB drop, if I'm reading it right. Looks like 73, which seems to be high for most current gravel bikes. (Mine is 80, for example). Just curious about the rationale. Also, what is the max clearance in back?
I think 73mm is definitely in the normal to low part of the spectrum for bb drop for a gravel bike. If you compare this bike’s bb drop to others manufacturers gbikes bb drop, Santa Cruz, Pinarello, Open, Thesis, Moots for example, 73mm is on the lower side. Specialized Diverge has an 80mm drop.

My bike wasn’t designed to handle what would be considered rough stuff for a gbike that’s what my HT is for. The bike feels very nice on the roads. Honestly, I could careless about bb drop and the like. I really like this bike and it gets me to the places I enjoy beautifully.

Last edited by joosttx; 06-23-2020 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Honestly, I could careless about bb drop and the like. I really like this bike and it gets me to the places I enjoy beautifully.
x2

My main ride is 61mm and it feels fine on dirt trails and on 40mph descents.
Old 06-23-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Geo is fascinating. I'm far from an expert. Here's the geo for my gravel bike. Based on my highly untrained eye, I would say that Joosttx's bike is meant to handle chunkier terrain (no surprise given his proximity to Tam) that his bike handling skills might be better than mine (see previous) or that his body geometry might be markedly different, even though we're roughly the same height. I doubt I would fit his bike given the amount of stand over.
Wow. So interesting to compare geos across builders.

In terms of bike fit are we twin sons of different mothers? Our Alliances are fairly similar, though Erik has me lower and a touch longer. My focus was on the road side of all-road; spec'd for 38mm tire max size. Love my Alliance!

Old 06-24-2020, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleguy57 View Post
Wow. So interesting to compare geos across builders.

In terms of bike fit are we twin sons of different mothers? Our Alliances are fairly similar, though Erik has me lower and a touch longer. My focus was on the road side of all-road; spec'd for 38mm tire max size. Love my Alliance!

I think it's a really interesting discussion, but I don't want to hijack Joosttx's thread, so I'll start a "GD" thread.
Old 06-24-2020, 12:36 PM

good point. thx.

Back to Bingham!
Old 06-24-2020, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleguy57 View Post
good point. thx.

Back to Bingham!
BTW your bike is one of my favorites. I love it.
Old 07-05-2020, 09:02 PM

This bike is fantastic. Every detail is dialed very curious to see it built up in fender mode when the time comes.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
The brakes are really rad looking and function great. I have been told by several that they are not happy with sram disc brakes. I have heard others don't have a problem with them. I have heard very good things about Hope brakes. I used Hopes in the past and they worked great. So that's the logic. I am pleased I have them.

Whole Athlete built the bike up except I wrapped the handle bar tape. I have also switch seat post and saddles to save a few grams.
is there a market for sram calipers?? i just ordered some hopes!!
Old 07-10-2020, 09:05 AM
what's a little rust?

Joostxx—how is the seat tube angle working for you? Is it steeper than your past drop bar bikes?

Our size is in the same ballpark, and I’ve only tried steeper than 73 on a mountain bike for a demo ride. I was surprised at how much I liked that little bit of forward rotation relative to the bb, not just for the trail but for the asphalt on the way to the trail.

Last edited by 72gmc; 07-10-2020 at 09:07 AM.