Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-16-2021, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
This seems to be the case for the bicycle industry. Rear sprockets have been added one at a time, since the beginning. If, say, the industry thinks that 12 is the best number sprockets for a bicycle to have, why didn't they just go straight to 12 sprockets to start with? Instead, they gradually incremented from 5 to 6 to 7 to 8 to 9 to 10 to 11 to 12. It's as if nobody knows the correct number of sprockets, just keep adding one at a time in hopes that they finally get there (where ever "there" is).
How are they going to sell you a fancy new group every few years if it isn't "new" and "better" and "more" and "exciting"? The funny thing, as they "innovate" they "innovate" back to stuff that was already around, worked better, but was poo pooed as inferior. Threaded BB are a great example. I wonder when we'll hit that inflection point and start subtracting cogs? Sort of happening with 1x systems now.

IMO - 12s of all flavors (Shim/Sram/Campy) are a total nothing burger with respect to gearing options compared to 11s systems. I've never wanted for gearing I couldn't achieve on an 11s (and honestly 10s) system. But se la vie.

I'm far more interested in things like that internal clutch rear hub that comes on the Ridley Kanzo than jamming another cog in the back.
Old 06-16-2021, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Reek View Post
Right?! And why didn't the industry incorporate the shifters and brakes into one unit since the beginning? I too really wish when I started riding that I had 12 speeds and these brake/shifter combos, instead of the 8 speeds and downtube shifters my 600 gruppo had.
Why do we ride tricycles when we're going to ride bicycles eventually? Total waste of time and material.
Old 06-16-2021, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewiser View Post
There will come a time when it will stop the adding of another gear. Chains and alinement get more finicky the more gears on the bike.
This has not been my experience at all. If anything, I spend less time making fine adjustments now than I did when I had 8- or 10-speed stuff. I think it’s clear that today’s components are more precisely designed and appear to use better material. My 11-speed Shimano has been anything other than finicky.
Old 06-16-2021, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
Why do we ride tricycles when we're going to ride bicycles eventually? Total waste of time and material.
Actually, there's a school of though that children shouldn't be given tricycles, or even training wheels, because they inhibit learning of important balance skills. Instead, they should be given balance bikes.
Old 06-16-2021, 11:55 AM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Actually, there's a school of though that children shouldn't be given tricycles, or even training wheels, because they inhibit learning of important balance skills. Instead, they should be given balance bikes.
So true.
Old 06-16-2021, 12:36 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewiser View Post
There will come a time when it will stop the adding of another gear. Chains and alinement get more finicky the more gears on the bike.
which is why gearboxes are being developed.
you can have essentially endless gears with a cvt

internal gearbox w di2 and belt or shaft drive would essentially be maintenance free and one can have many more gears than a chain driven derailleur system.

Look at the Pinion gearbox bikes. no maintenance, belt drive, 18 spd - nothing on the back wheel except a sprocket.
Pretty ideal on a mtb or gravel, bikepacking, etc
Old 06-17-2021, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman1425 View Post

IMO - 12s of all flavors (Shim/Sram/Campy) are a total nothing burger with respect to gearing options compared to 11s systems.
Totally agree. Campy in particular. Why with 12 speed they have no cassettes starting at 12t cog is beyond me. Not everyone wants or needs an 11t. I'd argue most don't. Even with the sub-compact 48/32 chainrings.

Would have looooooved a 12-32. Basically tacking a 32t at the end of their existing 11 speed 12-29:

12-13-14-15-16-17-19-21-23-26-29-32

With the 48/32 gives you a nice tight spacing, a 1:1 gear for climbing and plenty of top end if you're not a pro rider.

Opportunity missed IMO.
Old 08-13-2021, 08:22 PM

Shimano 12-speed road is breaking cover in unexpected places. Just got an e-mail from bikesdirect.com: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...road-bikes.htm

Greg
Old 08-13-2021, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
Shimano 12-speed road is breaking cover in unexpected places. Just got an e-mail from bikesdirect.com: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...road-bikes.htm

Greg
Thank you. That is among the most exciting things I've read today.
Old 08-13-2021, 10:02 PM

Convince me this isn’t some Sora level sh*t.

But hey it wouldn’t be a new season if our bikes weren’t getting uglier…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2021, 11:15 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post

Greg
nice find!
Old 08-14-2021, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
nice find!
+1
Old 08-14-2021, 07:52 AM

FWIW, the Campy 48/11 is nearly identical to a 53/12, so complaining about no cassettes starting with 12 isn't really needed. Campy always includes the most 1T jumps as practical on their cassettes. I used a 48/12 with 11-34 cassettes on two bikes for over a year. They worked great.

I've been riding SRAM Force axs 12 speed for over a year now on two disc brake frames. Both have been trouble free. I've used a 46/30 and 48/31 crank with a 10-36 cassette and now have a 10-33 on one bike, so I still have a gear below 1:1.
Old 08-14-2021, 07:54 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordanh View Post
Convince me this isn’t some Sora level sh*t.

But hey it wouldn’t be a new season if our bikes weren’t getting uglier…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sram wants their levers back
Old 08-14-2021, 07:57 AM
Proud Grandpa

No word on whether or not it's 'microspline', ie;, ANOTHER freehub body 'standard??

ala XTR?