Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-23-2021, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
Choose wisely where you live. If you want to ride and be safe, you'll have to figure out what works. Don't expect it to come to you

For me, my nightmare is to be a speed bump for some Karen late for a yoga class

Roads are alot different than they were 30 years ago
Yep. My g/f and I are moving cities and one of the main drivers (pun intended) is access to great and safe riding.
Old 07-23-2021, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
I'm not advocating for texting and driving, I'm saying that slowing things down is the best way to make them safer. At slower speeds, the impact from a collision is much less dangerous, but also at slower speeds, reaction time is much greater, so distractions are less likely to lead to incidents.
It doesn’t matter if slower speeds are safer, because there is zero chance cars will ever be restricted to 30 mph and 1000 lbs. If you want to make a difference, fight for changes that have a chance of being adopted.
Old 07-23-2021, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Mini bottles of alcohol consumed and then discarded along the side of the road.
Those things are ALL over the roads on Saturday and Sunday mornings.

Slower speeds, smaller cars, no phones won't make any difference at all. The three times I've been hit have been in bike lanes, on 30 mph zones, pre-cell phones. It was all drunks, and that ain't gonna change.

Last edited by Hellgate; 07-23-2021 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-24-2021, 06:32 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
I'm not advocating for texting and driving, I'm saying that slowing things down is the best way to make them safer. At slower speeds, the impact from a collision is much less dangerous, but also at slower speeds, reaction time is much greater, so distractions are less likely to lead to incidents.

And in this particular case, I don't know how fast the driver was going, but the road has a 50 mph speed limit.
Driven on any roadway lately? How many people are speeding?? Yup, another 'law' that is unenforceable. Want to stop drivers from using their cell phone? Only way to make that happen is with tech..and that isn't going to happen.
You 'may' make a dent with genuine penalties, things that have a real effect either in the ability to get around or in their wallet.

But, 'statistics' say, in the afternoons/evenings..as many as 24% or so of the drivers on the road are impaired..most from alcohol.. so...good luck with that. Even the YUGE penalties for DUI..it still happens everyday on every roadway.

So, take it out of the hands of the 'citizen' with tech, but that won't fly..'personal liberties', blah, blah, blah...
With ohh so many things..'acceptable looses' so I can have the 'freedom' to do putthingIwanttodohere...

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 07-24-2021 at 06:42 AM.
Old 07-24-2021, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
Settle down you two. We’re all on the same team.
Sometimes I wonder about that.
Old 07-24-2021, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
But, 'statistics' say, in the afternoons/evenings..as many as 24% or so of the drivers on the road are impaired..most from alcohol..
The rest of the time, maybe 24% are impaired by texting. I live in the Chicago area, so a mix of urban and near-in suburban riding. It's depressing to look into cars in situations where you're forced to interact with them (say, when a car is turning in front of you at an intersection, or that pulls up at a stoplight where you have already stopped) and see the driver staring at their phone mid-left-turn or while turning right-on-red (often without first stopping).
Old 07-24-2021, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
Sometimes I wonder about that.
Thankfully, this site is usually pretty civil. But the problem with the few inveterate trolls is how to engage them. Option one is to ignore them. This is probably is the most efficient method. Option two is to have a good laugh at all the useless pixels they perpetually vomit.

The worst thing you can do is to try to engage them in actual dialogue. It never works.
Old 07-24-2021, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
A bike crash is when the rider crashes, pothole, wet leaves etc. More accurate is cyclist struck by car. Joe Friday.
So I heard about this today. Using the logic of the reporting of "bike accidents", I expect this to be called a "house accident"

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/brook...ndel/37119503#

Car struck a house and killed the resident.
Old 07-25-2021, 07:01 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by smontanaro View Post
The rest of the time, maybe 24% are impaired by texting. I live in the Chicago area, so a mix of urban and near-in suburban riding. It's depressing to look into cars in situations where you're forced to interact with them (say, when a car is turning in front of you at an intersection, or that pulls up at a stoplight where you have already stopped) and see the driver staring at their phone mid-left-turn or while turning right-on-red (often without first stopping).
Agree, my point, with all the anti-DUI stuff, still a TON of people drive after drinking..

No real 'tech' way to stop people from drinking and driving. BUT really easy to stop phone use while driving, with technology. Bribes from Big-Telecommunications won't let it happen tho.
Old 07-25-2021, 08:15 AM
50 bpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
A bike crash is when the rider crashes, pothole, wet leaves etc. More accurate is cyclist struck by car. Joe Friday.
Most accurate is a cyclist is hit and killed by a motorist, unless the car was a runaway.

I know some of us are beating a dying horse about this, but we must put the responsibility/blame/causation where it belongs.
Old 07-25-2021, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
Most accurate is a cyclist is hit and killed by a motorist, unless the car was a runaway.

I know some of us are beating a dying horse about this, but we must put the responsibility/blame/causation where it belongs.
Agreed. And for those who think that changing the title or choosing our words won't matter, it has to start somewhere and here is the place it makes most sense to start. If we, as a community, start calling these what they are, both online and in our real lives, our friends and acquaintances will follow suit. In their minds, we are the experts when it comes to bikes. Point out that it wasn't a "bike accident" and shouldn't be called one. Words matter.
Old 07-25-2021, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
This.
Old 07-25-2021, 11:35 PM
The bass playing cyclist

Fingers crossed for a quick roll-out of autonomous cars smart enough to not plow down cyclists.
Old 07-25-2021, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPOJoe View Post
Fingers crossed for a quick roll-out of autonomous cars smart enough to not plow down cyclists.
Then you're getting into the trolley problem. There will be scenarios where you'll have to program an autonomous car to choose who to kill in an emergency situation. Call me a cynic, but cyclists will be far, far down that priority list.
Old 07-26-2021, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Start with strict liability for fault in any bike/car collision and work from there. Only legislation that hits drivers (and insurance companies) in their wallet will change any behavior.
Completely agree