Old 11-07-2019, 10:42 PM

NTSB & cycling

https://www.bicycling.com/culture/a2...YKm4gsErb-Zp4w
Old 11-08-2019, 05:49 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tornado View Post
Quote:
Having mindful road design and a culture that respects vulnerable road users like cyclists saves tons more lives than any headgear.
'Study' isn't a surprise, they harp about headgear and blaming the victim because they can't do anything about road design or 'culture', as in 'car culture'....Plus no doubt NTSB is 'influenced' by the likes of BIG Oil and BIG Auto...
Old 11-08-2019, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
'Study' isn't a surprise, they harp about headgear and blaming the victim because they can't do anything about road design or 'culture', as in 'car culture'....Plus no doubt NTSB is 'influenced' by the likes of BIG Oil and BIG Auto...
yes and yes
Old 11-08-2019, 08:44 AM

Here in NYC segregated bike lanes are being put in at record pace, and yet almost 30 cyclists have been killed this year, with many serious injuries as well.

What we need most of all is some cyclist education. Too many newbies out there who don't understand that they need to be predictable, signal turns, and use lights at night. Also, too many cyclists ride in the blind spots of trucks.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:45 AM

I would encourage people to read the actual 8 page summary from the NTSB instead of just one line headlines from the various media outlets:
https://www.ntsb.gov/news/events/Doc...2-abstract.pdf
Old 11-08-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty2k1 View Post
I would encourage people to read the actual 8 page summary from the NTSB instead of just one line headlines from the various media outlets:
Quote:
4. Bicycle crashes involving motor vehicles at midblock locations are more likely to result in fatal and serious injuries for the bicyclists.
5. Separated bike lanes could prevent bicycle crashes involving motor vehicles at midblock locations and, thereby, also reduce the number of fatalities and serious injuries associated with such crashes.
Of the cycling fatalities this year in NYC, the great majority happened at intersections, not midblock. Just this past weekend, a cyclist was seriously injured in a two-way "protected" bike lane on Queens Plaza East, at an intersection, of course. This is from Reddit:

Quote:
At about 1:30 a.m., I was driving west on Queens Boulevard behind the taxi as we were both preparing to make a right onto Northern Boulevard/Queens Plaza East going north, right here. There is a two-way bike lane there on the north side of Queens Boulevard coming off of/onto the bridge. The cyclist was in that lane going east, and the taxi's right turn path crossed the bike lane there...

The light was green for Queens Boulevard, so both the cab and the cyclist had a green light, though obviously the cab making the right turn was supposed to yield. Cyclist had a headlight on his bike. The cab was in the middle of his turn, so not moving very fast (the cyclist was probably going faster), but it looked pretty bad -- the cyclist went up in the air and landed hard. The bike's front wheel was pretty bent up and there was a major dent on the hood of the cab.

The cab driver and I both got out to check on him and I called 911. The cyclist somehow made his way to the east sidewalk and was laying there for a while, breathing but obviously in serious pain. Cops showed up in a couple minutes, but EMS took like 15 minutes to find us. Cops took my info and EMS loaded him into the ambulance and took him off. I don't think anyone else who saw it happen (if anyone) stuck around.

Last edited by fiamme red; 11-08-2019 at 09:16 AM.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
Here in NYC segregated bike lanes are being put in at record pace, and yet almost 30 cyclists have been killed this year, with many serious injuries as well.

What we need most of all is some cyclist education. Too many newbies out there who don't understand that they need to be predictable, signal turns, and use lights at night. Also, too many cyclists ride in the blind spots of trucks.
This. So much.
In countries with low rates of cyclist deaths, they learn cycling skills at school at an early age, before they can develop aggressive bad driving habits.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty2k1 View Post
I agree. I didn't find the report inflammatory. Visibility and head protection are important factors. I hope the final report elaborates more on these points.

Quote:
Bicyclists wearing bright or reflective
clothing, bicycles with lights or reflective materials, enhanced motor vehicle
headlights, and in-vehicle crash warning and prevention systems are all
countermeasures that could potentially alert motorists to bicycle traffic and help
them avoid collisions with bicyclists.

14. Collision avoidance system technologies could be modified to detect bicycles, which
would likely reduce the incidence of collisions between motor vehicles and bicycles and
mitigate injuries caused by collisions when they occur.

16. The US Department of Transportation’s slow progress in developing standards for
connected vehicle technology has delayed the implementation of potentially lifesaving
technology.
Visibility can be passive in our clothes and lights that we wear, but connected systems and smarter cars AND bicycles have such potential. If the car can detect your phone moving at bicycle speed; imagine how the car can protect the cyclist from before the driver makes a mistake. Adaptive headlights with lidar can make cyclist more visible at night, especially around corners. Education is paramount, but these active systems will enable cars to protect cyclists instead of relying on the idiots steering both vehicles.