Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-07-2019, 08:06 AM

From Ti to TREK -

Anybody go from a custom Ti frame to an Emonda SLR ? Just curious of others experiences. Our "Team" has a TREK partnership, so keep in mind its discounted vs the Ti. Thanks.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
Anybody go from a custom Ti frame to an Emonda SLR ? Just curious of others experiences. Our "Team" has a TREK partnership, so keep in mind its discounted vs the Ti. Thanks.
I have a No22 Reactor and picked up an Emonda ALR as my winter/rain bike. I have ridden SLRs as well. In my mind (and most of us at our shop) this is the best production frame going right now if it fits you. Light, snappy, and still all day comfortable without feeling totally dead.

I'd still prefer to have my Reactor but if you're looking to add a race bike to your stable I'd say the Emonda is the best thing going and would complement it nicely, especially at what would be a discounted price. In an ideal world I'd say they'd be great complements to each other, and I'll likely be swapping my ALR for an SLR sometime in the next year
Old 11-07-2019, 09:38 AM

Thanks for posting this, i'm trying to decide if i'll enjoy going from carbon to Ti
Old 11-07-2019, 10:03 AM
PegoNagos

So much of this question has to do with emotion though and not what the bike will do, because if both fit then there really isn't a huge "difference" there.

Which ever one gets you excited to be on the bike is the one that you want to be riding.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:08 AM
Riding Along

The question is not about moving from one material to another but all about how each bike has been designed and engineered. Each material can be built to ride in many different ways, both similar and dissimilar.
Old 11-07-2019, 11:13 AM

The Emonda is a very good bike. Trek is pretty much knocking on the door of modern road bike perfection with this bike.
Old 11-07-2019, 11:13 AM

I already have the Ti bike.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnhood View Post
The Emonda is a very good bike. Trek is pretty much knocking on the door of modern road bike perfection with this bike.
I guess it depends on what you mean by "modern road bike perfection". The Emonda SLR is very light, it has good stiffness at the bottom bracket and head tube, and it has good handling. But at its very low weight, its durability is suspect, and its very flat tubing gives it poor aerodynamics. Its qualities make it a good bike for racing on hilly courses, but it is not the best at criteriums or time trials, and probably not the best choice for touring or gravel riding.

(in interests of full disclosure, I own and ride an Emonda SLR H1.)
Old 11-07-2019, 01:25 PM

If you already own the Ti there's probably no possible discount that works out better than continuing to ride the bike you already have, bike resale values being what they are.

After that it seems fit is the important part.. I would double and triple check everything about the Emonda to make sure you can get it into exactly the fit you need.

I think the durability is a real concern vs Ti. I don't have an Emonda, I have a Domane, but there's no way it's anywhere near as durable as Ti. My bike is 3 years old.. it looks very old compared to a Ti bike at 3 years old, and I've mostly been riding my Domane in good weather and haven't been racing. If I look it over it's got all kinds of chips & cracks in the finish that a Ti bike wouldn't have. Not really a Trek thing more just a carbon thing IMO.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I think the durability is a real concern vs Ti. I don't have an Emonda, I have a Domane, but there's no way it's anywhere near as durable as Ti.
It should be noted that the Emonda SLR is Trek's super light frame. It weighs roughly 700 grams (1.5 lb) for the frame, and about another 280 grams (0.5 lb) for the fork). When it was introduced, Trek advertised the Emonda SLR as the lightest product bike in the world. Durability was probably not the first priority when this frame was designed.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:14 PM

Do you want to dump your 22 in a crit...
Old 11-07-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Its qualities make it a good bike for racing on hilly courses.
That's my experience. They are excellent grand-tour bikes, and maybe that makes them excellent grand fondo bikes if you're riding in a pack and just attacking timed segments. But I'd pick something else for solo rides - either a domane for more comfort, or a madone for more aero gainz - and probably go an entirely different direction for a crit or circuit-race bike..

I do appreciate that Trek went to a T47 BB for 2020 - that clears out one of the big issues folks have had over time with them.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
It should be noted that the Emonda SLR is Trek's super light frame. It weighs roughly 700 grams (1.5 lb) for the frame, and about another 280 grams (0.5 lb) for the fork). When it was introduced, Trek advertised the Emonda SLR as the lightest product bike in the world. Durability was probably not the first priority when this frame was designed.
This is true. But Trek claims the emonda slr has a "weight limit" of 275lbs and also provides a lifetime warranty. So may be durability isn't that big a deal?!

Btw, I bought a used 2013 Trek Madone 700 that supposedly has a frame weight of around 800g. A boat anchor compared to the emonda slr. Nevertheless, so far it has been fairly durable!

Good Luck!
Old 11-07-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
That's my experience. They are excellent grand-tour bikes, and maybe that makes them excellent grand fondo bikes if you're riding in a pack and just attacking timed segments. But I'd pick something else for solo rides - either a domane for more comfort, or a madone for more aero gainz - and probably go an entirely different direction for a crit or circuit-race bike..

I do appreciate that Trek went to a T47 BB for 2020 - that clears out one of the big issues folks have had over time with them.
T47 is on the Émonda ?
Old 11-07-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
T47 is on the Émonda ?
Not sure - it is on the Domane..

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk