Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-07-2019, 03:21 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
Everyone knows the correct answer is Campagnolo Chorus or Potenza Disc.
unless you want 1x
Old 11-07-2019, 05:13 PM

How does GRX position on flared, gravel bars. On a flared bar, the odd looking SRAM hydro looks even more odd with it's inward flare. GRX is the same?

And are the Di2 buttons hard to use with gloves, or whilst bombing down a hill with hands chattering?
Old 11-07-2019, 05:19 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickl View Post
Your defense of DOT5 is based on the generality that both are toxic without qualification. That said on a scale of 1 to 10 with the highest number being most toxic mineral oil is about 1 or 2, at worst, and DOT 5 is closer to 7 or 8. Question is why did SRAM deviate from the majority of the industry and go with the option that’s worse environmentally and most hazardous to those handle the substance.

In fact, people selling Shimano brake fluid claim it’s non-toxic something I don’t see in DOT5 descriptions.

https://www.performancebike.com/shim...dboilo/p331251
I was talking to the SRAM rep last Sat. They say they like DOT fluid because it doesn't freeze. Don't expect them to move away from it no matter how much we all want them to

M

edited to add: bled a Magura front brake today for the first time ever. Went as nicely as Shimano brakes usually do. 20+ years of working on bikes and this was the 1st Magura system. Howya like that?!

Last edited by Gummee; 11-07-2019 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
I was talking to the SRAM rep last Sat. They say they like DOT fluid because it doesn't freeze. Don't expect them to move away from it no matter how much we all want them to

M

edited to add: bled a Magura front brake today for the first time ever. Went as nicely as Shimano brakes usually do. 20+ years of working on bikes and this was the 1st Magura system. Howya like that?!
SRAM guy is correct, min oil freezes at about -40F. Not an issue for most, but SRAM also had bigger cold weather brake issues in the past. Mostly fixed, I believe.

https://bikerumor.com/2014/06/20/sra...ets-available/

Last edited by nickl; 11-07-2019 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:09 PM

Back on to GRX... anyone who can compare these to the hylex levers? IMO the hylex hood shape is the best so far for aggressive descending on the hoods but very curious about grx and that higher pivot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-09-2019, 12:52 PM
Shifty Member

I know that this is about the levers, but just want to remark that part of the reason for GRX line in the first place was to move the chain line out 2.5 mm to get it away from wider tires and better clearances at the BB.

I'm really interested in the lever position change as I have not been enthralled with my 785 levers whilst bombing down dirt roads like Hawks Rd.

I will probably change my TI Warbird to GRX 1x Di2 next spring.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk