Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-06-2019, 12:58 PM

Cold setting rear triangle (recommendations in Orlando)

I'm finally starting to focus on the build process and the first thing I need to do is stretch the rear triangle to fit a 10 speed rear wheel.

Is there anyone in the central Florida area you would trust to do the work?

Joe
Old 11-06-2019, 01:40 PM

Trust

So there are a number of good bike shops that exist here in CF. That said is finding someone to do the work, which depending on the bike could mean some liability. I think the guy who would agree to do the work is the Frame Doctor, they are located in Tavares. I would think that Winter Park Cycles might do it, but there is also Ace Metric, the guy is a good wrench. I dont think you would get any of David's locations or Orange Cycle to do it. I think you might get Bevin at Bicycle Sport to do the work, but he is in Vero Beach. I know this is not an exhaustive list, but I think that the Frame Doctor would definitely do the work

If you are willing to come to the Coast, I think Pete Jones at Pete's Bicycle Shop would do it...
Old 11-06-2019, 04:12 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by joep2517 View Post
I'm finally starting to focus on the build process and the first thing I need to do is stretch the rear triangle to fit a 10 speed rear wheel.

Is there anyone in the central Florida area you would trust to do the work?

Joe
Some good suggestions...126 to 130mm? Please don't do the "Just shove it in there"....do it right.
Old 11-06-2019, 04:29 PM

Kyle's Bike Shop gave me a free bike box recently. It seemed like the kind of shop that knew its way around older steel bikes.
Old 11-06-2019, 04:35 PM

Johnathan Greene is a frame builder in central FL somewhere. John Clay is an amateur that has been building for very long time and has all the tools including a surface plate. If that was my frame (and I wasn't already a frame builder) I would want someone that has an established feel for aligning steel frames.
Old 11-06-2019, 04:43 PM

It is pretty easy to do it yourself. RJthebikeguy.com does a video in which he shows how to make the tools yourself and do the cold setting. Cost of the tools about $10 and it does not take much time. He also shows how to square up the drop outs with homemade tools. That does not work as well, in my opinion. A bike shop can do that in short time, not a lot of money.
Old 11-06-2019, 05:15 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Have the steel frame adjusted the correct way. Don’t ruin it.
Old 11-06-2019, 05:27 PM

No

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew+ View Post
Kyle's Bike Shop gave me a free bike box recently. It seemed like the kind of shop that knew its way around older steel bikes.
Kyle’s does not have the right skills to do this job...
Old 11-06-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Some good suggestions...126 to 130mm? Please don't do the "Just shove it in there"....do it right.
Sorry - yes 126 to 130. There is no way in hell. I won't "just shove it in there". This is my grail bike and I want it done right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Fattic View Post
Johnathan Greene is a frame builder in central FL somewhere. John Clay is an amateur that has been building for very long time and has all the tools including a surface plate. If that was my frame (and I wasn't already a frame builder) I would want someone that has an established feel for aligning steel frames.
Doug - I haven't heard Johnathan's name in awhile. I didn't think he was still in the central Florida area. I'll look him up. Do you know where John Clay lives? I will reach out to him if I cannot get with Johnathan.

And I agree I want someone who knows what they are doing.

Thanks!
Old 11-06-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joep2517 View Post
Sorry - yes 126 to 130. There is no way in hell. I won't "just shove it in there". This is my grail bike and I want it done right.

Doug - I haven't heard Johnathan's name in awhile. I didn't think he was still in the central Florida area. I'll look him up. Do you know where John Clay lives? I will reach out to him if I cannot get with Johnathan.

And I agree I want someone who knows what they are doing.

Thanks!
PM or email me at my name (all one word in lower case) + @qtm.net and I'll send you their contact information.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:00 PM

Jonathan Greene is my son. He's not building frames anymore. Sold his equipment. Sorry. Diane Blake in College Park can do it. She builds bicycles...about any kind. Makes every single part on hi wheelers. Frames, wheels, seats, everything. She can do anything. Check this out. http://www.findglocal.com/US/Orlando...ctory-Bicycles She probably has the tools at her home shop to do the job. She has a complete Campy tool kit for alignment. She has built all my wheels for 40 years. (well...except some Zonda's)

Last edited by Ralph; 11-06-2019 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:25 PM

In Tampa we have Jordan at Vélo Champ Cycle Sport. A bit out from Orlando but maybe worth the trip for you.

He will first tell you if it isn't a good idea ... go from there.
Old 11-07-2019, 04:26 AM

Alan Wanta

http://www.wantaframes.com/firstpage.html

Depending on your exact location, less than two hours from you.

Last edited by Nomadmax; 11-07-2019 at 04:28 AM.
Old 11-07-2019, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
Jonathan Greene is my son. He's not building frames anymore. Sold his equipment. Sorry. Diane Blake in College Park can do it. She builds bicycles...about any kind. Makes every single part on hi wheelers. Frames, wheels, seats, everything. She can do anything. Check this out. http://www.findglocal.com/US/Orlando...ctory-Bicycles She probably has the tools at her home shop to do the job. She has a complete Campy tool kit for alignment. She has built all my wheels for 40 years. (well...except some Zonda's)
This. Diane Blake knows her stuff.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:30 AM

Diane Blake

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAAD View Post
This. Diane Blake knows her stuff.
From the link it appears she is not doing business...