Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-30-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
And one has to wonder, why did you buy 5 of them if they were "meh"?
I’m curious too - don’t mean to be snarky, I just don’t understand why you’d buy #3, #4, or #5 if you didn’t like the earlier purchases??
Old 10-30-2019, 10:42 PM

I have only owned one Peg... a duende... and it was one of the most enjoyable bikes I’ve ridden, and I rode it a lot. It was truly a joy to ride. For that I have much respect for Dario and his craftsmanship.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:03 PM

I wish them well and hope the sell a pile of them.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:15 PM
v a n i l l a

Pegoretti new Flagship Frame. ROUND

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one not impressed with them. I literally never see Pegs outside of PL. And aside from the paint work I don't find them attractive. What's the point of the crazy tall head tube above the top tube joint? It reminds me of a Fredly steerer tube extension.

That would be a dario innovation called a dropped top tube for 58+ frame sizes

Helps to increase stiffness in larger sizes
Old 10-30-2019, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Suegiù View Post
Responsorium without the weight limit, it seems.
Aka a stiffer Responsorium aka a stainless Marcelo.
The weight limit was never much of an actual thing.

If they've made a lighter Marcelo, all the better.

These'll sell.
Old 10-31-2019, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
That would be a dario innovation called a dropped top tube for 58+ frame sizes

Helps to increase stiffness in larger sizes
I think it may have been earlier, with Edwig Van Hooydonck/Buckler/Colnago and Urs Freuler/Atala/Colnago in the mid-1980s. But Pegoretti would have been already 30 then so maybe he and Milani were talking with Colnago. But I do not really know, just that Colnago essentially coined the term "Freuler geometry".

In any case, just as you wrote: "...used to create framesets, for taller riders, with extended head and seat tubes that went beyond the junction with the horizontal top tube, keeping the top tube closer to the down tube, and in theory, making for a stiffer, lighter and stronger frame."

Last edited by Dino Suegiù; 10-31-2019 at 05:19 AM.
Old 10-31-2019, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
The weight limit was never much of an actual thing.
The Responsorium stiffness to weight (and limit) was/is a issue to some, along with the Responsorium < Marcelo < BLE stiffness spectrum. This Round seems designed specifically to answer those questions and therefore to fit in a good slot.

Quote:
If they've made a lighter Marcelo, all the better.
I do not know what the Marcelo Spirit tubes are drawn to versus the Round XCR tubes, but I really doubt that in the same size frame any weight difference will be dramatic, noticeable, or important. Some Spirit frames are lighter than XCR same-size equivalents. The Marcelo isn't exactly a pork of a frame, especially given the body type/requirements of the majority of those who want that model, and in any case frame weight itself was never really a criterion for any Pegoretti frame, or fork.

Quote:
These'll sell.
Of course they will sell; the interesting unknown is how many, and how many as a proportion of the catalogue. I think it will be difficult to displace the Duende and Marcelo as the (I have been told) mainstay frames.

It would be fun to talk with someone who has ridden a lot/nearly every Pegoretti frame including the old alu frames.

Last edited by Dino Suegiù; 10-31-2019 at 05:20 AM.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallizes View Post
what size? any photos of builds?

i think i asked before but you might have missed it
I don't have photos. The bikes are long since sold.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82Picchio View Post
I don't have photos. The bikes are long since sold.
oh that's too bad

what size did you ride?
Old 10-31-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
oh that's too bad

what size did you ride?
I ride 60cm frames. Found a faded photo of me on a 2005 Marcelo at the 2005 Davis Double Century, grimacing for the camera on something steep.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marcelo.jpg (63.3 KB, 424 views)

Last edited by 82Picchio; 10-31-2019 at 04:58 PM.
Old 10-31-2019, 03:04 PM

@82Picchio

time flies!
Old 10-31-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgp View Post
I’m curious too - don’t mean to be snarky, I just don’t understand why you’d buy #3, #4, or #5 if you didn’t like the earlier purchases??
The first bike was the no-name frame, which was a fantastic descender, but just OK otherwise. I didn't like its aero-shaped downtube either, so off it went. Then, I got a 2005 Marcelo, which I thought too stiff. The Duende followed in ~2007, acquired for its supposed flexibility and to me it rode mealy-like. Then, I got a Luigino from the estate of the doctor-collector in Michigan. It rode like a nice lugged bike, but not better than any other nice lugged bike I'd ridden. Because it was worth more to Dario fanboys, I could sell it for more than other nice bikes, which I continued to ride happily. With everyone continuing to sing Marcelo's praises I thought maybe I was missing something the first time around, so I got the second one. Nope, still too stiff. Sold it to a friend, who is a stronger rider than I and he thought it rode "like a brick." His words.
Old 10-31-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
@82Picchio

time flies!
No kidding...
Old 10-31-2019, 03:21 PM

Snip:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
My point wasn't whether you know anything about Pegs but rather - here's a frame which those closest to Dario have produced in his honor and you decide to piss all over it with a sarcastic critical comment.
I am not pissing all over this frame, but all over the idea that stiffer is better for everyone. In MY opinion, most of the Pegoretti frames were way too stiff for general consumption. I'll piss all over the idea that stiffer is better all day long any day of the week.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:19 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82Picchio View Post
Snip:

I am not pissing all over this frame, but all over the idea that stiffer is better for everyone. In MY opinion, most of the Pegoretti frames were way too stiff for general consumption. I'll piss all over the idea that stiffer is better all day long any day of the week.
still missing, I think, my point. We don't disagree on your complaint re stiffness better better for everyone - applies to about a decade or so of top shelf carbon frames. What I took exception to was the sarcastic criticism - which didn't come off so much of the frame itself - the frame is what it is - rather to me it came off a a criticism of a decision made by the Pegoretti family on what type of frame to build in honor of Dario.

Much is lost in internet communication and maybe my interpretaton of your comment was wrong but it struck me as disrespectful and unnecessary cold water on what must have been a very happy and proud moment for the Pegoretti Botegga. And ATMO there's way too much of that type of behaivour in today's world; it annoys me to see it surface here. If you meant something different so be it.