Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-25-2019, 06:27 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
As in: I send in a bikecad sheet and get exactly what's on the sheet?

No hand holding, no consultation, no coddling, advice, nada - just keep costs down and build to my specs exactly.

Anyone doing that for single frames?

Just curious.
I'd bet, that w/i reason, Richard Schwinn would do that when building a Waterford...

Call him.

And probably Mark Nobilette...
Old 06-25-2019, 01:49 PM

ha! This never ends. I qualify my comment that you would 'annoy' builders with this request. Obviously, you are aware that some builders would feel this way, but that is the reason for your question - who WOULD BE interested vs who would be annoyed and not interested.

To your point, you seem to know more than the average bear about geometry (I think you have an engineering background?) so that you could make an informed decision on what you want. I know some, but not enough, myself so I would seek the input of a builder.

Let us know what you end up doing! As for Co-Motion - they are a pretty cool company. there are a fair number of them rolling around Victoria, and they're always very nicely put together.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:32 PM

I did something like this when I got my custom T.E.T. from Tom Teesdale about 15 years ago. I was interested in a True Temper S3 steel frame, and Tom advertised that he was just starting to build with this tubeset. I contacted him (via email) with what I wanted. The information I included was all the major frame dimensions (seat tube length and angle, top tube length, chainstay length, head tube angle, fork length/offset/steerer diameter, bottom bracket drop, BB shell width and threads); and fittings and braze-ons (cable stop locations, pump peg, chain hanger, water bottle bosses). I also included my height and weight, and the make and model of frame I was currently riding (including its geometry). He emailed me back a drawing with the additional details filled in (like seat collar clamp type, dropped seat stays, headtube reinforcing rings), plus some comments some practical advice on a few changes to my original specs. After one more email exchange to nail down the final details (including paint color), I sent a deposit to start the build process.

I had expected that the turn-around time would be a few months, but to my surprise, the completed frame arrived at my doorstep only 3 weeks after sending the deposit (and that included paint and shipping). After a quick check to confirm that frame matched the drawing, I built it up, and have been riding it ever since. I am very satisfied with the frame and with the transaction. Sadly, Tom passed away a few years ago.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
As in: I send in a bikecad sheet and get exactly what's on the sheet?

No hand holding, no consultation, no coddling, advice, nada - just keep costs down and build to my specs exactly.

Anyone doing that for single frames?

Just curious.
I'm a hobby builder and I just finished a bike for a buddy just like this scenario. I appreciated that it was a well thought out design, nothing weird was requested. Of course there will be back and forth - things like triple bottle stops , last min rack bosses... so I bet in Angry's case the bike isn't going to be too weird and there WILL be builders that don't mind at all!

My 2 cents.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:29 PM
ZhugeLiang

tim pal, you forgot to include your address so Angry can mail in his deposit...
Old 06-26-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
tim pal, you forgot to include your address so Angry can mail in his deposit...
ha ha I'm not building anymore!! Just on an as for fun basis. Bike making is a challenging thing - my hats of to the pros who do it day in and day out. I just wanted to mention the 'it depends' and probably in Angry's situation he'll have a well thought out design that would be straight forward to do.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:21 AM

I got a quote back from Walty last night. Fully spec'd by me titanium hardtail. $800 plus $150 for ship.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:27 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougefresh View Post
I got a quote back from Walty last night. Fully spec'd by me titanium hardtail. $800 plus $150 for ship.
amazing. did they quote delivery time?
Old 06-28-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timto View Post
ha ha I'm not building anymore!! Just on an as for fun basis. Bike making is a challenging thing - my hats of to the pros who do it day in and day out. I just wanted to mention the 'it depends' and probably in Angry's situation he'll have a well thought out design that would be straight forward to do.
That's too bad! Pretty sure I saw you last weekend riding on a green Granville road bike (up Booth Street) and thought to myself that I wouldn't mind one of your bikes. It looked right!
Old 06-28-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
amazing. did they quote delivery time?
their website states 35-45 days from date of placing order and another 7-10 for shipping.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:03 PM

I worked with Walty on a project that I had a really clear idea of what I wanted built. I’m happy with the end result but as novice I seen now how it would have been easier (maybe better?) to work with someone who could of guided me more. In my case I was working really hard to optimize for short chain stays and what I thought could be built wasn’t as straight forward as I had hoped. The decisions that I had to make ended up working out well but a more collaborative builder might have helped me get to the end result faster. I really like the frame that I got out of the process and would consider them again for the right project. They seem like a good match for what the OP is/was looking for.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:26 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZRM View Post
There is a guy who I remember posting here who did this with a titanium bike in China. You design, they weld and ship. Don't remember the name of the place, but if they are still in business it can't be too hard to find. Whoever he was, he loved the bike.
Waltly and Titan do Ti

Colossi does steel and AL

M