Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-07-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfd View Post
This is true. But Trek claims the emonda slr has a "weight limit" of 275lbs and also provides a lifetime warranty. So may be durability isn't that big a deal?!
Like most warrantees, Trek's warrantee covers defects in materials and manufacturing. Also included in the text of the warrantee is:

Quote:
THIS WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER:
Normal wear and tear
Improper assembly
Improper follow-up maintenance
Installation of components, parts, or accessories not originally intended for or compatible with the bicycle as sold
Damage or failure due to accident, misuse, abuse, or neglect
Note that Trek warrantees the frame for the lifetime of the owner, not the lifetime of the frame - in other words, if the frame breaks from normal usage (aka "normal wear and tear") then it may not be covered under warrantee. And Trek gets to decide what the lifetime of the frame should be, and what normal wear and tear are.

Even though Trek warrantees the Emonda SLR, one should not assume that the bike is durable. Even something as simple as the bike falling over could be construed as "accident, misuse, or neglect", so if the bike breaks from falling over, the warranty many not cover it. Warrantees like this generally only cover obvious manufacturing defects (which are usually discovered early in its life), and not breakages from usage.

Last edited by Mark McM; 11-07-2019 at 05:03 PM.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
T47 is on the Émonda ?
Not on the current Emonda. There have been rumors that it will appear on the next generation Emonda, but I haven't seen anything confirmed yet.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:53 PM

If your club's discount is as good a my club's discount was, I don't understand why you're still waiting.

If you don't like the bike you'll be able to tread water on the transaction.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:32 PM

I've got a Domane, a nice Ti, and a Speedvagen. I ride the Domane the most by a lot. It may not be the obvious answer, but Treks are great bikes (to quote an old roadbikereview thread).
Old 11-07-2019, 08:27 PM

I have a Seven Axiom SL custom built to me and 2019 trek emonda sl. I like them both. Ride them both too. Some days I want my ti bike. Other my Trek. I love the old school vibe from my Seven. If I want Di2 and light, I ride my Trek. I say get both.
Old 11-07-2019, 11:08 PM

Ti vs Emonda SLR

My road bike stable included an S-Works Roubaix, C-59, and Emonda SLR 8. I've lusted for a Ti frame for awhile and was directed to PL. I sold my Roubaix and planned to sell my Emonda to fund my recent Moots RSL frame build. But, after riding only the C-59 this year, I missed the crisp handling and acceleration of the Emonda, especially on fast group rides. Under 15 pounds with pedals and cages and stiff BB, I was able to use an 11-28 cassette compared to a 11-32 on my C-59. The C-59 doesn't feel as efficient as the Trek. However, you do get bounced around on washboard surfaces. Looking forward to comparing it to the Moots soon....
Old 11-09-2019, 12:35 PM
Shifty Member

Why not both? I had a Tarmac and then sold it to try TI (how I found this forum) and got a Dean Ti. Love the Dean as it feels like it was built for me - the fit and high stiffness are perfect for me.

I now have another Tarmac and both bikes get pretty equal time. The Dean usually comes out for longer rides and the Tarmac for shorter hammer or hilly rides. The Dean is actually lighter than the Tarmac, but that is probably due more to the build (Campy SR, R mix build) vs Ultegra. As far as compliance, I'd probably have a hard time telling the difference with the exception being the feel down at the BB when doing a sprint jump. So not directly relatable, but assumed some latitude since Emoda and Tarmac are both grand tour bikes. Also you said TI bikes but remember that they will all ride differently -- mine will be way stiffer than something like a Cooper.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk