Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-02-2019, 11:51 AM

I was watching the world track and field championships this past weekend. One of the commentators mentioned that he is/was currently coaching one of the US female distance runners.

I'll be she's getting a tight sphincter hole right about now...
Old 10-02-2019, 12:45 PM

Another tidbit, and on a tangent that brings this back to some cycling events. Back in 2015, Propublica did an interview with Lauren Fleshman, a former protege of Salazar's. Fleshman reported that Salazar:
  • Strongly encouraged Fleshman to get tested for asthma. Fleshman didn't fail an asthma test in a doc's office. Salazar sent her to a doc who had her do considerable physical exertion followed by an immediate spirometry exam. She failed that one.
  • She got prescribed Advair, a combo corticosteroid and long-acting beta agonist inhaler. Salazar said that the corticosteroid could give her a performance advantage, and that she should be on it year round (the doc initially prescribed it just for racing season). Salazar also encouraged her to change her inhalation technique on the theory that if she exhaled through her nose slowly, it should open up her nasal passages also.
  • Encouraged her to go to a doctor he knew to get tested for thyroid suppression, on the grounds that she could get medicated for that.

Clearly, Salazar was pushing the rules in the same way that Team Sky pushed the rules regarding medical treatment for at least some of its riders.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:47 PM

Joe Public in America doesn't give two hoots about this because IT'S FOOTBALL SEASON and that's a real sport. Anybody can run but not everyone can play brain-concussion-ball.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:52 PM

hahaha Football is a sport based on running though... Running and catching, with a few shanked kicks
Old 10-02-2019, 03:38 PM

And, as everybody knows, there's no doping in football.............
Old 10-03-2019, 09:11 AM
50 bpm

Doping is the least of his offenses. In college, he used to play his Bob Dylan albums REALLY LOUD all the time. It was beyond annoying and he wouldn't stop.

Rudy Chapa was a much nicer guy.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:37 PM

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/07/o...mary-cain.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBwtCf2X5jw
Old 11-07-2019, 02:53 PM
Everything is connected

They pulled the Oregon Project website down as well.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:06 PM
what's a little rust?

I don't get the loud playing of Bob Dylan records. That's small-audience music, not loud music. Reach for the Journey or some other stadium rock if you're going to show off the tower speakers.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:34 PM

Nike has always been scumbags about this stuff...whether via armstrong or track and field or whatever sport they get behind...of course they know it is going on and promote it on the inside...winners sell shoes...winners do drugs to win....losers don't do drugs and don't sell shoes...toss in practically slave wages to make the products and you have a complete ethical fail full circle...that's always been Nike and my guess always will be...

Last edited by cash05458; 11-08-2019 at 05:37 PM.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:29 PM

Thanks for posting this video. Something’s been bugging me for a few weeks I’ve witnessed and this crystallized an action plan on a more local, personal level.
Old 11-08-2019, 03:32 PM
what's a little rust?

Good luck, duff duffy.

I see Nike's CEO has stepped down for what must be a lavishly compensated intermission in his career--the larger issue, the company's growing legend as the bad boyfriend of track and field, goes unaddressed.
Old 11-08-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cash05458 View Post
Nike has always been scumbags about this stuff...whether via armstrong or track and field or whatever sport they get behind...of course they know it is going on and promote it on the inside...winners sell shoes...winners do drugs to win....losers don't do drugs and don't sell more shoes...toss in practically slave wages to make the products and you have a complete ethical fail full circle...that's always been Nike and my guess always will be...
From personally dealing with Nike in retail, yes, they are shall we say, difficult. After that experience, I own & will own no Nike.