Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-06-2019, 12:25 AM

OT: Penske purchases Indycar and IMS

Great news I think. I wish it had happened 25 years ago - perhaps could have prevented the divisiveness that defined the Tony George era. Hope that Roger has 20 good years left in him. He seems to be as sharp at age 82 as he was 40 years ago.

https://www.indycar.com/News/2019/11...INDYCAR-Penske
Old 11-06-2019, 01:01 AM
slower than you

It would be cool if he brought F1 back to Indy, but, I'm guessing the fans would prefer the much better party town of Austin over Indianapolis. That was always my beef with Indy. Indianapolis.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:31 AM

I question why, at 82 years old, he’d want to get involved. He’s spread out all over auto racing and business. Is it greed? And what happens when he kicks the bucket? Is there someone else geared to take over?
I have no doubt he will improve everything, as he has a Midas touch, but why more?

On the Tony George era - I, for one, applaud what he tried to do. Sadly, there is no direct correlation between midgets/sprints/champ cars and rear engines cars. All the great dirt drivers have ended up in NASCAR.
While USAC wasn’t the greatest sanctioning body, the whole CART thing was the car owner’s attempt to control the series. In the end, it didn’t work and did more harm than good.

Last edited by Plum Hill; 11-06-2019 at 11:37 AM.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plum Hill View Post
I question why, at 82 years old, he’d want to get involved. He’s spread out all over auto racing and business. Is it greed? And what happens when he kicks the bucket? Is there someone else geared to take over?
I have no doubt he will improve everything, as he has a Midas touch, but why more?

On the Tony George era - I, for one, applaud what he tried to do. Sadly, there is no direct correlation between midgets/sprints/champ cars and rear engines cars. All the great dirt drivers have ended up in NASCAR.
While USAC wasn’t the greatest sanctioning body, the whole CART thing was the car owner’s attempt to control the series. In the end, it didn’t work and did more harm than good.
Because he LOVES the sport and he's good at it. There is an entire organization ready to take over, led by his son. No worries there.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1850 View Post
I wish it had happened 25 years ago - perhaps could have prevented the divisiveness that defined the Tony George era.

https://www.indycar.com/News/2019/11...INDYCAR-Penske
He TRIED to buy IMS 25 years ago and, when George wouldn't sell, he created CHAMP car. Penske is the one who directly created the divisiness!

From Wikipedia: "The US 500, starting halfway through the Indy 500, had a disastrous start with a twelve-car crash, delaying the race for an hour.[12] Jimmy Vasser, who won by 11 seconds, quipped "Who needs milk?" while exiting his car for the podium, referring to the tradition of the Indy 500 winner drinking milk. Both at the time and in retrospect, the weekend was seen as a fiasco that began a serious decline in open-wheel racing, with both the Indy 500 and other Indycar events seeing drastic decline in prominence, TV viewership, and attendance.

https://youtu.be/hYvnx47-ScM?t=34

And it's hard to fault George for the F1 fiasco too. That was pretty squarely on Bernie's shoulders. The George family have been good stewards of the event and the facility.

The Indy 500, like The Masters, is one of the few remaining sporting events that haven't tried to extract every last dollar from the event, instead protecting tradition in the name of stewardship. For sure, there are corporate sponsors, and it turns a healthy profit. But name another major sporting venue where corporate naming rights haven't been sold and spectators are allowed to enter with their own food and beverages. Not many are left. I hope Penske becomes as good a steward too.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:45 PM
slower than you

He's a winner.
Old 11-06-2019, 04:11 PM

https://racer.com/2019/11/06/pfanner...bYiPWxi-rVxjjk
Old 11-07-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
It would be cool if he brought F1 back to Indy, but, I'm guessing the fans would prefer the much better party town of Austin over Indianapolis. That was always my beef with Indy. Indianapolis.
Having lived in Indy near the track, it's not a place that can support an international scene at that spending level. Transportation, for example, just isn't' there. High-end hotel rooms, not there. The track can, Indianapolis is a fine place, but Austin, Jersery, Miami, etc are much better locations.

....now a 24hr race there would a be great if the neighborhood can handle it.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:18 AM
what's a little rust?

Feels to me, as just a fan, that IMSA cross-pollination is much more likely than F1 given his current teams. I think that would be better for all involved. F1 is an overpriced endeavor that doesn’t produce exciting races.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:01 AM
50 bpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
But name another major sporting venue where corporate naming rights haven't been sold.
Well, sort of!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Indy.jpg (26.9 KB, 61 views)
Old 11-08-2019, 07:44 AM

I am a Roger Penske fan. The guy is passionate, relentless, and minds the details. That said, the one thing about him that bugs me is his complete lack of interest and support of feeder series or driver development. He only hires proven winners. Andretti, meanwhile, fields half the cars in Indy Lights and does a lot to develop American open wheel drivers. With a rounding error of Penske's budget, he could provide a huge boost to American racing by running a few cars in USF2000, Indy Pro 2000, and Indy Lights.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
Well, sort of!
Sort of, not really, is correct. The George family never sold naming rights to the Indy 500 or the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. It's not the Gainsbridge 500, which is my point. It's not the Gainsbridge Motor Speedway either, ala NBA, NFL, MLB, etc venues.

Bank of America Stadium (NFL's Panthers)
Spectrum Center (NBA's Hornets)
Bank of America Roval 400 (NASCAR)

And attendees still bring their own food and beverages into the venue. Try that at any of the others listed above!

Last edited by mistermo; 11-08-2019 at 02:04 PM.