Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-20-2018, 11:28 PM
The bass playing cyclist

@#$%*& Squirrels!

My paceline buddies and I encountered a pack of four squirrels involved in some sort of bizarre four-way mating ritual, which resulted in an ill advised attempt at avoidance and eventually this....and yes, wound management would have been easier if I would've shaved my legs. The thing that kills me is that those furry monsters are out there right now, frolicking in the underbrush, awash in their spring carnality, while I'm sitting here bleeding.

@#$%&* squirrels!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg squirrel.jpg (111.6 KB, 480 views)
Old 05-21-2018, 02:20 AM

Ow, that looks painful. Score one for the squirrels. I've had some close squirrel calls myself lately but have been able to avoid hitting one or swerving to much.

Hope you heal up well and fast.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:23 AM

I wanna hear Mr Squirrel's version of events... how they barely managed to escape a pack of drugged up cyclists a-weavin' and a-waverin all over the road.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:33 AM

Could have been worse, a small rabbit cause a fractured scapula, 3 broken ribs and a partial lung collapse.....now I hate Easter!
Old 05-21-2018, 08:10 AM

Sorry to hear of the mishap. The squirrelly double backs on the road are vicious.
Here's to hoping for a quick heal.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:19 AM

Big predators (e.g., bears and coyotes here in the northeast) don't worry me much on a bike. Squirrels and deer scare me much more due to their population density and unpredictability. I'm sometimes amazed that I haven't been taken down by those darn tree rats or bambis yet...

Greg
Old 05-21-2018, 08:48 AM

I'm more concerned about the little ones. We're in the middle of a ticknado here in New England.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 05-21-2018, 10:46 AM

We had 3 racoons fighting/mating in a tree in our back yard Friday night.

They were so loud we could hear them inside with all the windows/doors shut.

I ended up outside with my bike headlight trying to figure out what was going on. It was such a weird sound we were worried one of our neighbors dogs was dying in the yard or something.

Called animal control and they said they won't do anything about wild animals unless the animal is "obviously rabid".
Old 05-21-2018, 10:48 AM
n - 1

tree rats

Only one encounter for me, on the MTB. I was on a singletrack, so just ran over it. I was praying it wouldn't get caught in the spokes. Luckily, it just let out a squeak and ran off.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:26 AM

I had a squirrel dart out yesterday. It just missed the front wheel but he got a shave from the teeth of the big chainring. I ended up with tuffs of hair on the chainring and the squirrel survived.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:30 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

I've hit a squirrel and a rabbit. The squirrel bounced off and went back into traffic where he/she didn't bounce off a oncoming F150 tire.

The rabbit interaction was during a cross race. It took out my front wheel and I went down. Dude behind me laughed as he went by and said something along the lines of "no way that just happened" I had a good laugh as I passed him back soon after and continued shaking my head,
Old 05-21-2018, 11:47 AM

I was taken out on Bainbridge Island once by a young buck deer. He didn't like me sharing his road with him and sideswiped me into a ditch.

As for squirrels, I once had a picket fence with squirrel tails nailed to it, the trophies left behind when squirrels tried to block me on the road.

Now everyone realizes that this squirrel infestation is entirely because people around here started throwing dancing bananas everywhere? Before bananas, did you hear about squirrels taking down cyclists? Seriously.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:48 AM

Man, glad you're (mostly) ok.
I almost hit a California Quail yesterday doing about 35mph which would have been tragic for two reasons. It would have killed the rest of my vacation to San Luis Obispo, and it would have killed our California State Bird.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:41 PM

Had a friend who had a front wheel totaled and a handful of good scrapes after a squirrel jumped into the spokes while riding on the greenway
Old 05-21-2018, 02:04 PM

Had a squirrel run into my front wheel as I was pulling on the front of a local training race. He/she was thrown straight up into the air directly in front of my face. I'll never forget the look on the squirrel's face as it flew inches from my nose. Unfortunately for the squirrel, its landing was in the middle of the following pack. It was run over by at least one other racer. Not sure of its ultimate fate, but I didn't see it in the road on the next lap.

Greg