Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-20-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgauthier View Post
You kill the animal so it won't reproduce, and pass its aggressive characteristics on to the general population.
This doesn’t make sense. The fact that a mountain lion attacks a human does mean that it is especially aggressive. It may mean that the lion was hungry and thought the person an easy meal.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:49 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
This doesn’t make sense. The fact that a mountain lion attacks a human does mean that it is especially aggressive. It may mean that the lion was hungry and thought the person an easy meal.
They are killed because the populous demands a pound of flesh and the easing of fears that there's a man-eater in the woods. Think Beauty and the Beast; we haven't progressed in our thinking.

In Washington state some rural residents were so incensed that they couldn't kill wolves on sight (they are listed as endangered under state law and for portions of the state, federal law) that the Game Commission increased the season/limits on cougars on the following rationale, I kid you not: "we need to let these folks kill something to let off steam."

All that said, this was a cat that, if it ever did fear humans, no longer did. Further details: cat chases cyclists; cyclists see it, dismount, yell etc and cougar turns away. They remount to ride off, cougar returns (here the story is murky - did they dismount again and stand their ground? not enough time? Anyway, cougar strikes the man on upper torso. Woman flees - panic (likely)? to draw off cougar to save the man? We don't know. Cougar chases (NEVER EVER EVER RUN FROM A BIG CAT), kills the woman, drags it to its den and covers it up with dirt, grass etc (typical cougar behavior with a kill intended for food). The official rationale for killing the cougar will probably be a combination of (lost fear of humans, need to put down to avoid future incidents + need to put down in event it is diseased/rabid etc). Initial report is a healthy 3-4 year old male cougar.

Last edited by Kirk007; 05-20-2018 at 01:50 PM. Reason: typos
Old 05-20-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgauthier View Post
You kill the animal so it won't reproduce, and pass its aggressive characteristics on to the general population.
you understand neither genetics nor wildlife biology.
Old 05-20-2018, 02:14 PM

I agree killing the animal sucks. Only doing what wild animals do. We adventure into their territory we understand the risks. Tragic incident though for sure.
Old 05-20-2018, 02:14 PM

I personally find the idea of big predatory cats quite frightening. A large agile creature that stalks its prey silently is terrifying. I think they are beautiful creatures, but I’m glad I haven’t had any run ins with them.

I’ve seen some large bobcats on my rides, but never a mountain lion. I’ve heard of sightings near where my cabin is, but at my home it’s more likely to see a black bear or even the occasional confused moose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2018, 02:59 PM

As I have run into a black bear on the trail which was terrifying enough, the thought of riding in cougar country gotta raise the hairs on your neck. I don't think they are too many south of the catskills here in New York.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:02 PM

I was riding in the same spot on Tuesday solo. Crazy to think about...

Also, none of the news sites mention that a large portion of the area was clear cut recently. This results in a cougar's food moving elsewhere. Wouldn't be surprised if this was the cause of the cougar being slightly more agitated than normal.

Pic here: https://www.strava.com/activities/1574847649

Last edited by dieonthishill; 05-20-2018 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:02 PM

In Colorado, predators that attack humans are killed because it is assumed they have lost their fear and may attack again. Last week, a bear was killed after attacking a child in Grand Junction. In most cases, bears and lions prefer to avoid humans. Sometimes the animal is emaciated and starving, and attacks out of desperation. It’s always a tragedy, both on the human and animal’s part.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:19 PM

It's.
a.
cat.

They chase anything that is moving fast enough to draw their attention, and pounce on it.

They cannot resist a person riding a bicycle.

I don't understand why there aren't lots more mountain lion attacks.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakkalugi View Post
In Colorado, predators that attack humans are killed because it is assumed they have lost their fear and may attack again. .
That´s how it is everywhere in the world.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:39 PM

The debate over whether to kill animals that attack humans is one where I can see both sides of the argument. Here's a Washington Post article about the pros and cons. A good read.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakkalugi View Post
In Colorado, predators that attack humans are killed because it is assumed they have lost their fear and may attack again. Last week, a bear was killed after attacking a child in Grand Junction. In most cases, bears and lions prefer to avoid humans. Sometimes the animal is emaciated and starving, and attacks out of desperation. It’s always a tragedy, both on the human and animal’s part.
Might be true but for fact that we humans like revenge and remind ourselves that we think we are the alpha predator.

To wit, a few years ago, a couple of stoners climb the fence at the SF Zoo into a tiger habitat. Tiger acts like a tiger and kills one of the morons.

Tiger, an endangered species, is put down. For being a tiger. Too bad. Very few tigers in the world but plenty of dumbass morons.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:38 PM

A few more details here.

<<https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/20/us/cougar-attack-washington-state.html>>
Old 05-20-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfscott View Post
Might be true but for fact that we humans like revenge and remind ourselves that we think we are the alpha predator.

To wit, a few years ago, a couple of stoners climb the fence at the SF Zoo into a tiger habitat. Tiger acts like a tiger and kills one of the morons.

Tiger, an endangered species, is put down. For being a tiger. Too bad. Very few tigers in the world but plenty of dumbass morons.
A woman, probably young, was killed. Maybe a mother, a father is grieving her daughter. A man was severely mauled and is probably in shock..
It´s not about revenge. There is a tight balance when large predators live side by side w/ humans but there is a hierarchy in place. Predators cannot stalk and kill humans... it becomes a habit. That´s one of the reasons the animal who kills is put down.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfscott View Post
Might be true but for fact that we humans like revenge and remind ourselves that we think we are the alpha predator..
The folks working for state and federal wildlife departments I've dealt with would strongly disagree with that assumption.