Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-16-2018, 01:40 PM
You still here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I'm tryin'!
Actually, detailed studies show that all custom steel frame makers named Dave in states starting with M are good men.
True dat!
Old 05-16-2018, 01:48 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
I really want to compensate Dave for his work.
Turn a friend on to Dave's work so much that your buddy orders his own Anderson frame.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
A few months ago I was thinking of a stainless frame. After talking with IF, Alchemy, and one other builder (who I can't seem to remember right now), they all said the same thing, "Stainless is more corrosion resistant than regular steel but it will never be like titanium". They all suggested painting stainless if I wanted to worry less about surface corrosion.
Don't want to steal the thread, but "stainless" simply means it will "stain less." Different stainless alloys are certainly still sensitive to various corrosive agents, including salt laden sea air.

He has been around for some time, and I don't know if you could find out who his fellow builder friends are, that might be able to provide insight. It would be cool if you could personalize the gift to his particular niche, if in fact, he needs or wants new toys to facilitate his work. Noting that he does his own paint work, a nice gun might be an option, and depending on his preferences, might fall in your approximate budget.

And, you certainly did highlight a builder worthy of our consideration.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:50 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
A few months ago I was thinking of a stainless frame. After talking with IF, Alchemy, and one other builder (who I can't seem to remember right now), they all said the same thing, "Stainless is more corrosion resistant than regular steel but it will never be like titanium". They all suggested painting stainless if I wanted to worry less about surface corrosion.

What's that line? "It's called stainless steel, not won't-stain steel!"

Edit: ^^^Wizard!
Old 05-16-2018, 02:58 PM

Great thoughts, thanks! Let's stay on track, I'm already convinced about stain-less!
Old 05-16-2018, 03:10 PM

Exactly why I chose not to go stainless. I'm just too lazy to worry about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggerwing View Post
Don't want to steal the thread, but "stainless" simply means it will "stain less." Different stainless alloys are certainly still sensitive to various corrosive agents, including salt laden sea air.

He has been around for some time, and I don't know if you could find out who his fellow builder friends are, that might be able to provide insight. It would be cool if you could personalize the gift to his particular niche, if in fact, he needs or wants new toys to facilitate his work. Noting that he does his own paint work, a nice gun might be an option, and depending on his preferences, might fall in your approximate budget.

And, you certainly did highlight a builder worthy of our consideration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
What's that line? "It's called stainless steel, not won't-stain steel!"

Edit: ^^^Wizard!
Quote:
Great thoughts, thanks! Let's stay on track, I'm already convinced about stain-less!
Old 05-16-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
I think Dave is going to be your best source of what Dave might like

Maybe an email explaining that you'd like to get him something, as a token of thanks, and ask what he'd like?

Chris
Old 05-16-2018, 03:48 PM

Readers of this forum should be much more likely to consider Dave when deciding on a new frame purchase. I personally know two builders that would not provide this level of customer service. They are both good guys and excellent craftsmen, but....

Kudos to Mr. Anderson!
Old 05-16-2018, 04:37 PM

I'd find out who is auto mechanic is and arrange a certificate to be applied to a repair or tires or something. That ****e is expensive and often comes without warning, tough on a budget. Ironic maybe for a bike gift, but those auto repair bills can hit hard and fast playing havoc with a credit card.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:54 PM
Administrator

i donno.

i know this thread was started with the best intentions, and some good vibes are being passed around, especially for Dave A, but it's my feeling that this transaction between you and Dave, or at least the details of the cost were a private matter between you and him.

He did you a solid, but i'm not sure he would be comfortable with you sharing the details of the :bro deal" you got to a public forum of bike enthusiasts who may do business with him in the future.

if he was feeling generous, and had some spare time to get your job done and not charge - that is between you and he, IMO, and should not necessarily be for public consumption, especially considering there could be other folks who need or want work done by him and may feel snubbed moving forward if they need to pay for work done when they knew you got a freebie.

it's just a thought, and was only my initial reaction after reading the post, that i, if i were the craftsman, would be uncomfortable with the details of a business deal being shared publicly.

just a thought....
Old 05-16-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Thank you, Ray, that's along the lines of how I am thinking. But what? My wife has done a lot of work in the last few years as a therapist with people suffering from drug and alcohol abuse, and so I now realize that sending someone a great bottle of Scotch isn't always the best choice. So, what's an appropriate gift?
Funny. Scotch was the first thing that came to mind.

Maybe because I just "gifted" a bottle of 14 year Rum Cask Balvenie to return a favor just yesterday.

Great to hear such a solid from Dave, but not that surprising I guess. He is local to me and simply a really good guy from all of my interactions and everything I have heard.

Enjoy the ride!
Old 05-16-2018, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i donno.

i know this thread was started with the best intentions, and some good vibes are being passed around, especially for Dave A, but it's my feeling that this transaction between you and Dave, or at least the details of the cost were a private matter between you and him.

He did you a solid, but i'm not sure he would be comfortable with you sharing the details of the :bro deal" you got to a public forum of bike enthusiasts who may do business with him in the future.

if he was feeling generous, and had some spare time to get your job done and not charge - that is between you and he, IMO, and should not necessarily be for public consumption, especially considering there could be other folks who need or want work done by him and may feel snubbed moving forward if they need to pay for work done when they knew you got a freebie.

it's just a thought, and was only my initial reaction after reading the post, that i, if i were the craftsman, would be uncomfortable with the details of a business deal being shared publicly.

just a thought....
IDK. Based on Dave stating the he has never charged for KVA related concerns, it just seems he has a line he is comfortable with supporting and that once he received the frame it fit within his parameters. I see no bro deal, just a stand up builder that stands by his work and based on that, a cool story to share. IMHO.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:56 PM

Super Fan

Quote:
In 2012 Dave Anderson of Anderson Custom Bicycles built me a stainless steel all-rounder which is terrific (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...light=anderson). I live on Martha's Vineyard, plenty of salt air, and I found that the stainless steel tubes were getting surface corrosion, in places where they'd been heated (adjacent to lugs and fittings). The lugs are a different alloy and no corrosion. I sent Dave some photos in January and asked him if I could send the frame back, and he would remove the corrosion, and paint most of the frame, leaving only the lugs and back end of the stays bare stainless. He also was going to modify the cable fittings for the disc brakes to accommodate hydro lines instead of cables. He warned me he'd be doing this work as fill-in, so couldn't guarantee a ship-back date, but I have other bikes and felt he was doing me a good turn anyway. He's always been just a prince to deal with. He quoted me $400 plus shipping to do the work, which I thought was a real deal (Dave does his own paint, too.)

This weekend he emailed me to tell me the frame was shipped and linked to some photos. I emailed him back and asked when he was going to be around so I could call him and pay him. The return email said "no charge".

I spent most of my working life as a solo consultant and like a solo builder I needed to be paid for my time, and I wrote back to Dave telling him just that. He wrote back:

"I very much appreciate your thoughtfulness and consideration. Thank you! However, if it were a complete strip and repaint for a color change or something, it would be one thing, but I was able to save the head tube paint and a lot of the graphics and I have never charged anyone for KVA related concerns. I am just happy that you enjoy the bike and that we (you & I) can keep it on the road for years to come."

So, Paceline people - what would you recommend? I really want to compensate Dave for his work.
I'm a huge, huge fan of Dave Anderson's work and have emailed him more than a few times. Although I haven't even bought anything he we was still always gracious with his time with me.

I know he likes coffee and spicy foods. I sent him some coffee beans from a local coffee shop and some sriracha sauce from a local sauce company.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:01 PM

That's good to know. There's a lot of great food products made here on MV, and I'm thinking of an upscale care package :-)

QUOTE=Burnette;2365240]I'm a huge, huge fan of Dave Anderson's work and have emailed him more than a few times. Although I haven't even bought anything he we was still always gracious with his time with me.

I know he likes coffee and spicy foods. I sent him some coffee beans from a local coffee shop and some sriracha sauce from a local sauce company.[/QUOTE]
Old 05-16-2018, 08:34 PM

Make a decent donation to a legitimate charity in his honor.