Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-06-2016, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
I don't like them.
At least to own or ride.
But I do like to look at them and appreciate them. To me, they are like owning a car from the 60's- fine if you want to play around or drive around town, not as good as a daily driver for the roads and climbs that I ride.
I like modern wheels, 11 speed compact, etc..
I like old steel bikes (or new steel bikes) with modern equipment. Although, in the looks department things are starting to part ways from the old aesthetics unfortunately.
Old 08-06-2016, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
Can't put my finger on it. I like classic things, classic lines on bikes, etc. I came up riding in the '80s and was always enthralled with the Primatos, so when this came up...schwing! And the ride quality has just made it all better. Next I need a Merckx MXL....

Super classy looking.
Old 08-06-2016, 05:29 PM

Thanks for the stories everyone.

One thing I think today’s bikes are missing are the stories. There are no craftsman building specialized, giant, trek etc. They are factories with anonymous worker bees.

Yes there is innovation (missteps) and what not but welded bikes from a master come with a story to tell.

I am hooked.
Old 08-06-2016, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenmarklay View Post
Thanks for the stories everyone.

One thing I think today’s bikes are missing are the stories. There are no craftsman building specialized, giant, trek etc. They are factories with anonymous worker bees.

Yes there is innovation (missteps) and what not but welded bikes from a master come with a story to tell.

I am hooked.
And that's where lurking at velocipede pays off ;-)
Old 08-06-2016, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
I don't particularly......many of them not made well.....alignment way off, etc. What they did do is ride well. The ones I had in the 70's (mostly Schwinn Paramounts) were 73/73 and were designed to ride well. That 73 degree seat tube angle put the saddle in middle of the rails like I like it. They were just designed to be ridden in long races, where comfort was as big a part of the design as all out going fast. My custom steel Jonathan Greene (with Enve fork) is designed the same way....with modern tubing, etc. Rides great....and with modern tubing and components is way lighter than those old P13 Paramounts I used to ride. Not really interested in going back. But for you younger guys....who didn't get o ride these bikes....I get the appeal....especially for a well made older example. Like some of ones mentioned and shown above.
I am yet to see Schwinn Paramount that was anywhere close to being in alignment...most overrated vintage steel bike of all time.....
Old 08-06-2016, 08:10 PM

Last edited by Roger M; 08-07-2016 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-06-2016, 08:15 PM

Cos they be art you can ride, dawg.

1974 Masi bought used in 1976, with all the house painting money I made in high school. The Honner Melodica...make me an offer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wall.jpg (64.8 KB, 321 views)
Old 08-06-2016, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbs4us View Post
Cos they be art you can ride, dawg.

1974 Masi bought used in 1976, with all the house painting money I made in high school. The Honner Melodica...make me an offer.
Your bookshelf if messy

Nice art though!
Old 08-06-2016, 08:57 PM

Freakin' Aweosme

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
Can't put my finger on it. I like classic things, classic lines on bikes, etc. I came up riding in the '80s and was always enthralled with the Primatos, so when this came up...schwing! And the ride quality has just made it all better. Next I need a Merckx MXL....

Wow, that is a nice looking bike. If I found that bike in my size I would buy it right now. It still looks new and expensive.
Old 08-06-2016, 08:58 PM

For me, it's nostalgia, pure and simple. I caught the cycling bug circa 1973 when I was in high school. All my regular rider frames are lugged steel, the newest of which was built in 1986. They are the frames I lusted after as a kid or young adult but could not afford. To me, they are the epitome of the look and feel I feel in love with more that 40 years ago now.

But, like echelon_john and some others here, I am a big fan of more modern components. Dual pivot brakes stop better than old single pivots and are a hell of a lot easier to set up than old Mafacs. I can do down tube friction shifting (and have it on my Eroica ride), but clicking with my hands on the bars is easier and safer. To me, the sweet spot is (and likely will remain) Campy 10-speed, preferably silver - a great blend of excellent function and classic good looks.

So for this Olde Phart who rides pretty slowly except on climbs (where he rides very slowly) and on descents (where he rides kinda-sorta fast), old lugged steel with Campy 10-speed stuff simply scratches my itch in a way that other stuff just doesn't.
Old 08-07-2016, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paredown View Post
I'm a born-again rider--raced in the '70s, more or less didn't ride for a lot of years, and then bought a Mercian while we were living in the UK (a lot like my old Falcon from BITD, except with "modern" gear)--and I was hooked again.

My story is very close - raced in the late 70's - mid 80's, first real bike was a Falcoln, bought a noodle Motebecane AL (Alan), then a custom Mercian. Decided to get back into racing in 2004 rode the Mercian for a while and then bought another Motebecane AL (Bikes Direct). I then saw the light and bought a Ti Litespeed. I am now a huge fan of Ti bikes.

My take on vintage steel:

They make nice fixies.
They make nice trainer bikes.

Jeff
Old 08-07-2016, 09:04 AM

My go to road bikes which I don't ride much road any more are all steel.

I think for me it goes back to when I first started riding as an adult. It was mid to early '80s and steel was it and it was all Italian. I couldn't afford a new bike so I rode various cobbled together Italian steel with of course campy friction and lusted after the new colnagos and pinarellos.
First american steel I ever saw was serotta back in the 7-11 days and began to lust after one of those and that's what lead me to this forum years later when I started road biking again. I've always been partial to SLX frames not sure why they just always felt the best.

I no longer own a vintage steel bike and if I'm honest both my modern steel Kirks ride better in every aspect. I still like there is just something proper about the 1" tubes, fist full of post, quill stem look of yesteryear.
Old 08-07-2016, 11:32 AM

I sometimes get all nostalgic about the "old days", this only happens a few time a year. I drag out an old bike, pump the tires, and go for a ride. After a few miles reality sets in. It's all about the memories that go with the bike, not any of the "mystique" that some attribute to them. I finish the ride, hang up the bike and wait until the next time I have a mental hiccup.

They are heavier, more flexy, have poorer shifting, have poorer breaking, are less reliable (anyone break modern axles?), and most importantly, cool as all get out.
Old 08-07-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in SLO View Post
Why?
They have style, ride smoothly, are a pleasure to work on, and are beautiful to look at.
Exactly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lemond-angle-7-16.jpg (146.1 KB, 260 views)
Old 08-07-2016, 12:13 PM

I wanted a steel GT back in the 90's. I was racing on a Litespeed Classic at the time and it everything but nothing well. I did some laps at a crit course on a GT and wanted one. Never got one because I couldn't afford another bike at the time. Fast forward to the last 4 years and I have a US Team and a former Team Shaklee GT. I had the Shaklee repainted red with a white panel and built it up with an alloy Athena group. I also have an MX Leader from 1999 but it was more of cerebral decision and replaced the Litespeed which was sold on consignment in San Diego.