Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-20-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
Was traveling this weekend, so missed both stages live.

Just watched the two stage highlight clips.

So here's my question: For yesterday, how did Froome get away? Poels on the front, and he just set a fast pace, or did Froome attack out of the group and create the gap himself?
Both, Wout's pace dropped the weaker guys and when he was done, Froome took off.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:08 PM
Classics Fan

But then Froome finishes 90 seconds down on Yates today, and crosses the line with Poels. Either he pays for his effort yesterday, or he was just on a really great day yesterday.

Given his [mediocre] performance thus far, I was actually quite surprised he won on Zoncolan. Not surprised that he tried, but surprised he was actually able to put time into people and win the stage.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:03 PM

Puff puff :P
Old 05-20-2018, 10:43 PM

Quote:
But then Froome finishes 90 seconds down on Yates today, and crosses the line with Poels. Either he pays for his effort yesterday, or he was just on a really great day yesterday.

Given his [mediocre] performance thus far, I was actually quite surprised he won on Zoncolan. Not surprised that he tried, but surprised he was actually able to put time into people and win the stage.
I was wondering if Froome burned all his matches when he reached the tunnels yesterday. It looked as if Yates might have chased down Froome but was what, 6 sec. back at the finish? Did Yates hold back on 14? Certainly not today. Tuesday will be interesting!
Old 05-21-2018, 12:00 AM

So, Simon Yates. Wow. Who is this guy? Seems like he just emerged out of the ether. And he has a twin!

Why has British cycling gotten so good in the last decade?
Old 05-21-2018, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
So, Simon Yates. Wow. Who is this guy? Seems like he just emerged out of the ether.
...you just haven't been paying attention. He's never been this good before, but he's won the white jersey, and top 10s in grand tours...
Old 05-21-2018, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
Puff puff :P
What's your cute nickname for Yates, who actually served a drug ban?
Old 05-21-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramnnim View Post
What's your cute nickname for Yates, who actually served a drug ban?
Four months for unintentional use of an inhaler that he failed to get a TUE for. And lots of consistent/building results from the time he and his twin were top amateurs.

And then there is 'Puff-puff'--lots of TUE's and lots of inhalers, and no consistent results as an amateur...

But I'm sort of a realist on this--I assume that all of the top riders are (if not actually doping) are on the program of exploiting the exploitable loopholes like Sky seem to have been very skilled at.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:06 AM
Classics Fan

Before the race, I was hoping that Dumoulin would repeat, and specifically that he would beat Chris Froome and we'd see the beginning of the end for him.

I figured it would be a tall order, given the lack of TT kilometers in this year's edition, and the number and steepness of the climbs.

I have to say (as someone who really thinks there should be way more emphasis on individual time trials in grand tours) that I am enjoying Yates just playing with the rest of the field. Sure it makes you raise your eyebrows... but it is just fun to see this kind of aggressive racing compared to the usual conservative approach.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:17 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Before the race, I was hoping that Dumoulin would repeat, and specifically that he would beat Chris Froome and we'd see the beginning of the end for him.

I figured it would be a tall order, given the lack of TT kilometers in this year's edition, and the number and steepness of the climbs.

I have to say (as someone who really thinks there should be way more emphasis on individual time trials in grand tours) that I am enjoying Yates just playing with the rest of the field. Sure it makes you raise your eyebrows... but it is just fun to see this kind of aggressive racing compared to the usual conservative approach.
Tifosi love the pink jersey attacking...much more common in the Giro than the nancy-esque TdF.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:25 AM

I didn't like that Dumoulin's chase group partners wouldn't work with him to catch Yates. They are already playing for second place.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
Simon Yates is 5’8”, 128. There are probably exceptions, but to climb that well, being that light sure helps. He’s been amazing.
His power to weight ratio is what is really impressive - he was cranking around 400W during that last breakaway climb to finish.

Love that go for it all style - the hell with the power meter!
Old 05-21-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
I didn't like that Dumoulin's chase group partners wouldn't work with him to catch Yates. They are already playing for second place.
Agree. I thought they might try to isolate him earlier than they did, put some time into him ahead of tomorrow’s TT. Yesterday was the 3rd or 4th time that he has been up to 15-20 seconds behind the contending group and somehow managed to pace his way back into it by the finish. Impressive.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
Agree. I thought they might try to isolate him earlier than they did, put some time into him ahead of tomorrow’s TT. Yesterday was the 3rd or 4th time that he has been up to 15-20 seconds behind the contending group and somehow managed to pace his way back into it by the finish. Impressive.
From cyclingtips:

“I don’t give a damn at this point. I’m totally ****ed now,” Dumoulin said of the lack of cooperation. “I had to dig so deep to stay with those other riders after Yates’ attack. And in the end it didn’t even matter, cause everybody there was just taking the piss. If I immediately started riding by myself, I would have lost a lot less time on Yates. Because of them taking the piss I lose a lot more.”
Old 05-21-2018, 10:28 AM

TD is not a pure climber so he can pull hat tricks as the others do, he gets dropped he has to comeback at his own tempo, thats the only way for TD to do in the mountains, sure the last km he TT back to the guys, good they were watching to each other.

The problem and is understandable why he was disappointed of the other guys refusing to pull is maybe because they did not see the chance to erase froome off the picture, they went with their own plans instead. At the same time they go after yates all together as a group, so at least yates doenst get any further and everybody still have a chance to the podium specially because still a lot of climbing to do this week. In other words, lack of vision.

Pozzovivo and the french cant TT at all, froome can and if he has a good day he can get 2 minutes off Pozzovivo and pinot w/o any problem and he can get at the door of the podium having more climbing to go, same happened to purito a few years back. He did not podium because he sat instead of pulling, froome catched, contador and froome dropped purito and froome got the bonus for 2nd. Bye bye podium for Purito, even valverde lost his 2nd that day. Contador wasnt too happy aswell.

Even contador was wondering the same thing when he saw the guys sitting there, he is doing commentaries for eurosport aswell.