Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-14-2016, 08:55 PM

Ritchey Breakaway Speed Wobble

HELP: My Ritchey Breakaway has a speed wobble >30mph - wondering if this could be due to the stock fork.

More detail:
I have a [year unknown blue/white] Ritchey Breakaway with a Ritchey Comp 1-1/8" headset and a Ritchey Comp Headset.

On trips for years I would get pwned on descents with friends on the Ritchey. I used to attribute that to the rider or traveling. The fit is nearly identical to the reach/drop of that on my trusted Cannondale.

Recently I was on familiar descents and found that there the handling nervousness while descending was actually a speed wobble when traveling >30mph.

Questions:
- Could this be the fork/headset?
- Would replacing either/both solve the problem?
- Should I stfu and htfu and deal?

I've been considering upgrading the headset and getting a 1-1/8 fork with a better review (ENVE, Easton, Columbus in order of decreasing price)
Old 05-14-2016, 09:07 PM

Picture of bike?
Old 05-14-2016, 09:14 PM

IMG_5629.jpg
Old 05-14-2016, 09:21 PM

I will sum up everything you can read about speed wobble.

Every part of the bike/rider system can/does contribute to speed wobble.

Replacing parts or changing rider position may or may not solve your problem.

Don't stiffen your arms / clamp the top tube with you legs to help mitigate wobble when it arises.

A stiffer fork may help, I have read convincing and conflicting articles about headset contributions. Some people claim a headset with more drag helps, like a needle bearing miche.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:34 PM

Thanks so much!

I've never had speed wobble in a legit road frame, even at speeds above 60mph. This really vexes me as everything else about the Ritchey Breakaway (geometry, fit, finish, handling, ride quality, etc) is LEGIT.

Yet I recognize my bias as I've raced Cannondale since 2010 - so the expectations are pretty high for front end rigidity and correspondingly low for comfort.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:51 PM
Princess Sweat

I think your paint is from 2008/2009. Don't quote me on that.

I have a new Road Logic and find the bike to be stable up to about 45-50mph.(Though I'm currently aerodynamically curvaceous and toroidal in shape I definitely need some deep-section hoops to get my fat ass over 50mph on our descents here).

The Ritchey Logic fork isn't as stiff as some of the others I've ridden (including C-Dale, Ouzo Pro, Enve 2.0) but I don't find that it wanders on turns or switchbacks.

Everything that BicycleTricycle said + paying attention to where you're placing your weight on this bike vs the other one. I always feel a bit more stable moving my weight forward a bit, toward the front wheel.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:33 PM
cmg

are you comfortable on that frame? looks small, strait post, seat forward, long stem. center of gravity too forward. would this happen on a larger frame? do you know the geometry? what's the seat tube angle?
Old 05-15-2016, 05:53 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litespeed_Mike View Post
HELP: My Ritchey Breakaway has a speed wobble >30mph - wondering if this could be due to the stock fork.

More detail:
I have a [year unknown blue/white] Ritchey Breakaway with a Ritchey Comp 1-1/8" headset and a Ritchey Comp Headset.

On trips for years I would get pwned on descents with friends on the Ritchey. I used to attribute that to the rider or traveling. The fit is nearly identical to the reach/drop of that on my trusted Cannondale.

Recently I was on familiar descents and found that there the handling nervousness while descending was actually a speed wobble when traveling >30mph.

Questions:
- Could this be the fork/headset?
- Would replacing either/both solve the problem?
- Should I stfu and htfu and deal?

I've been considering upgrading the headset and getting a 1-1/8 fork with a better review (ENVE, Easton, Columbus in order of decreasing price)
Gusty winds? Try a front wheel with round spokes. In the shop I've had 3-4 people with speed wobbles with areo spoke front wheels, mostly in gusty winds and a round spoke front wheel fixed it.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Gusty winds? Try a front wheel with round spokes. In the shop I've had 3-4 people with speed wobbles with areo spoke front wheels, mostly in gusty winds and a round spoke front wheel fixed it.

That's a very interesting idea. To be sure, speed wobble existed before bladed spoke wheels were common, but it's another variable.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:40 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustychisel View Post
That's a very interesting idea. To be sure, speed wobble existed before bladed spoke wheels were common, but it's another variable.
Often checked everything with zero results, except the front wheel. Most were Kry-for-me-siriums...tho.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:20 AM

Is the fork original to the frame? I don't know if Ritchey made forks with different rakes, but I ran into this once. I bought a frame, then picked up a nice fork, but the frame was originally designed for a fork with a different rake. At speed, it could pick up and hold a wobble. Changing to a fork with the correct rake made all the difference. Maybe not applicable but a data point nonetheless.
Old 05-15-2016, 02:12 PM

I have the identical Break Away, 54 I believe, same color scheme, stock Ritchey fork and HS. I've never had an issue on descents, guessing I've hit 35 - 40 plenty of times. Speed wobbles are maddening, not to mention scary as hell. I had a Cervelo RS, early model, that went into a speed wobble at 45, thought I was going to be scrapped off the pavement. Sold it, couldn't ride it with confidence.

I have no suggestions for you. My only comment is that I have the same bike and haven't had any issues.

Good luck and if you solve it, please post
Old 05-15-2016, 02:31 PM
Deeply fried

how much do you weigh? more or less than the average bear?
Old 05-15-2016, 03:17 PM

Bike too small?
Old 05-15-2016, 04:40 PM

Put me in the camp of, "the bike's too small" and could be a contributor to your wobble.

Assuming you're not going to get rid of the bike to eliminate the wobble, here are some options:

The fork is not an issue because of possible flex; it's stiff enough.

Fork rake on the other hand, could be a problem. Even if the fork is outfitted with the correct rake fork for the frame size, the bike may actually need less rake/more trail than the OEM fork provides. In this case I'd suggest finding a test/temporary replacement on eBay. If it works, then either keep it or buy something new with the same specs.

Check your headset for pitting and indexing.

Try a different front wheel. Also, sometimes it's merely a matter of the front wheel's bike computer magnet throwing the wheel out of balance. Remove the magnet and test. The solution could be as simple as relocating the magnet.