Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-16-2018, 06:25 PM

Built a PX10.

Got the 333fab.

Got a flat on the 333fab.

Mechanically restored the Canadian RZ350 running.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Hellgate; 11-16-2018 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:55 PM

1) The Ultimate was riding with my son. Working up each time to the top of Mount Tamalpias. The day we decided to do the whole thing we did. Even though I encouraged him to turn back.

He had to deal with a bully earlier this school year. He stood up to the kid and did not back down and stopped the bullying. When we were talking about it he told me he was not scared of the bully who was quite bigger than him because he had ridden up Mt Tam and it didn't hurt him so how could a kid hurt him. "Mountains are bigger than kids".

2) Seeing a mountain lion early one morning on the shake down ride of my 44 MTB and the countless rattlesnakes I saw this year.

3) The incredible early morning ride on Bolinas Ridge Fire Road where the light and fog were magical

Last edited by joosttx; 11-16-2018 at 07:06 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:56 PM

cont....

4) Riding up Balch Camp Road in the Sierras. I had a goal to do this since 2005. And finally did.

Old 11-16-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
I qualified for Leadville 6 years ago when I was (kinda sorta) fast. I broke my hand two weeks prior to start that year and I deferred my entry to following year. Complications with my wifes pregnancy kept me from attending that next years race also.

I gave up thinking that race wasn't in cards for me.

So fast forward to Jan 1 2018, I threw in a "lottery" and low behold got my name called. With a job that takes way too much of my time, travel, and two small kids, I somehow managed to get in enough training to not DIE and finally completed this Godforsaken race.......THAT is my highlight for 2018
nice one!
Old 11-16-2018, 07:15 PM

New bike

2019 Epic HT
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1541558399350.jpg (144.9 KB, 253 views)
Old 11-16-2018, 07:17 PM

My highs were recovering from my lows.
In mid March, I went for a nice ride with friends. Nothing crazy. 6 hours after we were done, I couldn't walk. Sciatica into my legs was a pain worse than anything I'd felt before. Out of work for two weeks, many dr's, therapy, off the bike for 6 weeks, avoided surgery that was suggested by the first dr. Slowly I made it back & now my yearly mileage should be very close to last years, and I will happily take that.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
cont....

4) Riding up Balch Camp Road in the Sierras. I had a goal to do this since 2005. And finally did.

Beautiful photo's!!
Old 11-16-2018, 07:46 PM
ZhugeLiang

wow!

thank you pals for sharing.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:46 AM

Tough year off the bike for me with a new job, new home. This will be the first year in about 10 where my mileage has decreased. That being said a very good highlight of riding Eroica Cali with internet friends who are even awesomer in person than they are virtually.

Old 11-17-2018, 01:20 AM

Highs:

My 5-year old daughter going straight from balance bike to big-girl bike without the need for training wheels. Awesome innovation!

Me, going from Ultegra 6800 mechanical to Dura Ace 9150. After 6 months, I still love it as much as the first day I rode it. No more fiddling with indexing and perfect shifts every time.

A ton of memorable rides, both solo and with friends.

No lows, thankfully.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:14 AM

In my case, finally finding a bike frame that doesnt feel dead... the problem is that probably other stuff needs to go out the window :/
Old 11-17-2018, 09:39 AM

My cycling year was overall good. I didn’t get as many miles in as I wanted but I stayed rubberside up!

My on the bike highlights for 2018 include this forum find peg duende. Always wanted one and I gotta say I love this bike.

Rip Dario.

Took it to Idaho for the coeur d fondo with my cycling group. I cramped halfway through the 90 earning the moniker “crampy” but I finished the ride with the group and learned just how much pain I can endure while having fun at the same time. Beautiful place coeur d’Alene.

Lows include my daughter being involved in a freak side by side accident where she lost her best friend. It has punctuated our year and left her with a loss of innocence that will always be there, but also let us learn just how lucky we are to have her and what a strong woman she has become.

Rip Avery.

Another high for me was the addition of my first ever new car. Call it a mid life crisis, but I love it. Loud and brash full of crackles and pops it makes me smile every time I drive it. ( and you can stuff a bike in the back quite easily

This was a year for me to just enjoy what time I have on the bike, and treasure the time I have with my family. I’m not getting any younger, or faster, but I’m still having fun.

Old 11-17-2018, 03:22 PM

Man, I would be WAY to the left on that Balch Camp road!!!!!!! Got nervous just looking at the photo!
Old 11-17-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Man, I would be WAY to the left on that Balch Camp road!!!!!!! Got nervous just looking at the photo!
We definitely were not looking over the edge!
Old 11-17-2018, 09:04 PM

I did too much running and backpacking, but Eroica California was an early highlight, and then over the summer I did a big road trip. Rides near Bend, Coeur d'Alene, Pend Oreille, SW Montana, and Cedar Breaks UT were definite highlights.

Going to have to ride Balch Camp road next year, though! And maybe ask Mzillox if I can join him for a couple rides. And if I'm that far north, maybe head up to PDX and suffer like a dog on the back of Clean39T's wheel.

I enjoyed Yates in the Giro and Vuelta. And Lombardia and Strade Bianche.